ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Presentation. Period.

Everything at a national meeting gets published in a journal. Even if you don't actually present it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Would these abstracts go under Presentations or Publications? What if your abstract was published under multiple journals, would it be listed twice (with the Journal titles, Volume, page etc) changed up? TIA
Again, I would recommend just listing it as a presentation as the oral or poster presentation.

If you chose to also list the supplement publication, it would be a publication under peer reviewed abstract.

Honestly I agree with @gutonc , I’m just saying that if you choose to double dip that’s what you should do

Reactions: 1 user
Presentation. Period.

Everything at a national meeting gets published in a journal. Even if you don't actually present it.
Understood. I guess it wasn't my own presentation (but second author, the first author had presented it) and didn't feel comfortable listing it as my own presentation.

Again, I would recommend just listing it as a presentation as the oral or poster presentation.

If you chose to also list the supplement publication, it would be a publication under peer reviewed abstract.

Honestly I agree with @gutonc , I’m just saying that if you choose to double dip that’s what you should do

Thank you both for all your help! Much appreciated

I tried digging for a similar question but I very likely missed it.

I am an Author on a large multi-centered study, we have about 20+ authors! I am unsure how to put myself in the limited character author box on ERAS. I am thinking the first author, [...] my name & last author? or should we work with et al how APA suggests

What do you all think? Thanks

I tried digging for a similar question but I very likely missed it.

I am an Author on a large multi-centered study, we have about 20+ authors! I am unsure how to put myself in the limited character author box on ERAS. I am thinking the first author, [...] my name & last author? or should we work with et al how APA suggests

What do you all think? Thanks

I would probably do “first author ... you ... last author, et al.” But any variant that gets first/last and conveys that you’re in the middle works.
How do we submit things that won't be published until next year (already accepted). Or is this impossible?
Peer reviewed publication other than published, and then there’s an option for “in press” or something like that.

Hey all,

I have a couple of questions:
1. Which category does 'Experience letter' fall under?
2. What is the difference between peer-reviewed online publication and peer-reviewed journal articles?
3. I have presented the same paper in 2 conferences? Is this frowned upon? If so, should I mention just one of them in ERAS?

Thank you

Hey all,

I have a couple of questions:
1. Which category does 'Experience letter' fall under?
2. What is the difference between peer-reviewed online publication and peer-reviewed journal articles?
3. I have presented the same paper in 2 conferences? Is this frowned upon? If so, should I mention just one of them in ERAS?

Thank you
1) I have no idea what such a thing is, so you would need to give us a better description of what you're talking about.
2) Basically, if it's a journal, even an online-only journal, choose peer-reviewed journal article. Peer-reviewed online publication means you wrote something that was posted on a website or something like that.
3) Yeah it's frowned up, but at your level you should still list both.

Question about eitiquette for listing a research publication as both as publication AND a research experience. Assuming each research publication was a separate project, should I also input a corresponding research experience for each? Or can I just leave it in the publication section (i.e. if it was a long time ago like undergrad).
I have 6 research publications and abstracts since undergraduate until now. 4 of these publications were the product of 2 research experiences which I have made an entry for.
However, there are 2 other publications that I published while in undergrad. I was not intending to make a separate 'research experience' input for these two as it was quite long ago and not necessarily relevant to the specific field I am entering, nor would I want any PD to specifically gear the interview towards these projects. However, I was wondering: is it expected that for each publication I list that there is also a corresponding 'research experience?' Or is it okay to just have publications listed on their own on eras.

Question about eitiquette for listing a research publication as both as publication AND a research experience. Assuming each research publication was a separate project, should I also input a corresponding research experience for each? Or can I just leave it in the publication section (i.e. if it was a long time ago like undergrad).
I have 6 research publications and abstracts since undergraduate until now. 4 of these publications were the product of 2 research experiences which I have made an entry for.
However, there are 2 other publications that I published while in undergrad. I was not intending to make a separate 'research experience' input for these two as it was quite long ago and not necessarily relevant to the specific field I am entering, nor would I want any PD to specifically gear the interview towards these projects. However, I was wondering: is it expected that for each publication I list that there is also a corresponding 'research experience?' Or is it okay to just have publications listed on their own on eras.
Just have publications listed on their own in ERAS. If you have multiple publications from the same lab, then you can list them all under the same experience.

Just have publications listed on their own in ERAS. If you have multiple publications from the same lab, then you can list them all under the same experience.

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify. There are 2 completely separate publications I have that I have not described elsewhere in their own research experience entry yet. However, since these publications were ~4 years ago, I was wondering if it is still worth it to describe these both as an 'experience' as well in their own tab. Right now I only have them listed on their own as a publication with no further explanations or descriptions elsewhere. But since they are so long ago, I was curious if I should still describe them on their own or just list a pub?

I submitted an abstract for a meeting and it was published online only for a journal. Does this qualify as "Peer Reviewed Journal Article/Abstract" or is this "Peer Reviewed ONline Publication"?

I submitted an abstract for a meeting and it was published online only for a journal. Does this qualify as "Peer Reviewed Journal Article/Abstract" or is this "Peer Reviewed ONline Publication"?
Merging with dedicated megathread.

Very common question. See below.
Presentation. Period.

Merging with dedicated megathread.

Very common question. See below.
Thank you. However it was only accepted for online publication and not the actual meeting itself. Would I still put presentation?

Thank you. However it was only accepted for online publication and not the actual meeting itself. Would I still put presentation?

That's pretty odd. If it's on the actual journal website and has a volume number and everything to make a formal citation, I suppose it would be a peer-reviewed abstract. If not, then peer-reviewed online publication.

Is it all right to mention the journals that I am currently writing article revisions for in the Experiences section if they haven't been accepted yet?

Hello,

A couple of questions as I was not able to find the answers via search function. I will be applying to fellowship programs.

1) If I presented an abstract at two different conferences as poster presentations, is it okay to submit it as two separate presentations under the Publications section? This has already been published as a manuscript if that makes a difference.
2) If there is an abstract that has been accepted to be presented at a later date (virtual conference in August thus would be during interview season), can I still submit it under Publications, and if so which category do I choose?

Hello,

A couple of questions as I was not able to find the answers via search function. I will be applying to fellowship programs.

1) If I presented an abstract at two different conferences as poster presentations, is it okay to submit it as two separate presentations under the Publications section? This has already been published as a manuscript if that makes a difference.
2) If there is an abstract that has been accepted to be presented at a later date (virtual conference in August thus would be during interview season), can I still submit it under Publications, and if so which category do I choose?
1) Technically, for a professional CV you shouldn't list the same abstract presented multiple times, and when you get further along in your career you probably wind up removing abstracts once the manuscript is published. In fact a lot of conferences won't let you present if it's already been presented elsewhere without explicit permission. All that said, for the purposes of applying to ERAS, I would probably list everything (the 2 presentations and the publication) separately just because it gives a sense of how productive you've been during med school.
2) Yes, you can definitely list an accepted abstract. You just list it based on the kind of presentation you've been accepted for, and under the citation you list the date of the conference and say (accepted).

Abstracts that have been published in a peer-reviewed journal. (This is rare, but generally some academic societies have their abstracts published in peer-reviewed journals. For example, abstracts from the International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism World Congress, September 13-16, 2010 were published in a supplement to the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. This is not a peer-reviewed venue in the traditional sense, so Still Kickin was right to express some reservations about this in another thread. If you were submitting materials for tenure, then you would not list this in any 'peer-reviewed' section of your CV. However, for the purposes of a medical student applying for residency training using the CAF, it is generally considered acceptable to list in this section.)
I believe that I have a few abstracts that meet these criteria. I actually have two abstracts with Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research. Should I just air on the side of caution and list these as poster presentations? I do not want program directors thinking that I do not have academic integrity.

Posters that were presented by another member of your research team (i.e., not you) at a regional, national or international research conference, even if you were listed as one of the authors -- even if you were listed as first author -- should not be included here. A listing belongs here if you were the one who did the talking.
Can this rule be found anywhere officially?

I believe that I have a few abstracts that meet these criteria. I actually have two abstracts with Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research. Should I just air on the side of caution and list these as poster presentations? I do not want program directors thinking that I do not have academic integrity.
I don't know that I've ever taken the time to read the OP for this thread, but I disagree--I would generally list a poster as a poster. I think what the OP said 11 years ago may be outdated, it's actually now quite common for abstracts from large academic societies to get published as a supplement.
Can this rule be found anywhere officially?
To be clear, there are no "rules" and it's all just kind of what people think. FWIW, I also disagree with this and would say it's OK to list posters that were presented by other members of the group so long as you clearly indicate who presented.

I read that everything on your CV needs to be verifiable. I am not adding false information to my CV. However, I was trying to search for the presentations that I did and they are not coming up online. How are programs verifying our presentations? I just don't want someone to doubt my academic integrity on my ERAS application.

I read that everything on your CV needs to be verifiable. I am not adding false information to my CV. However, I was trying to search for the presentations that I did and they are not coming up online. How are programs verifying our presentations? I just don't want someone to doubt my academic integrity on my ERAS application.
The dirty little secret? They're not verifying everything. Because most things on your CV don't matter and are just filler. Anything that seems out of character (one 3 month research experience and you get a NEJM paper out of it for instance) will get verified, or anything that piques their interest. But it's not like someone is poring over every line in your CV trying to catch you out on something.

The key is that anything you put on your CV is fodder for interview questions. So if you write it down, be prepared to answer questions about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I agree with @gutonc , nobody has time to verify everything for each stupid line hundreds of residency applicants. In this case they can easily verify by simply asking you about the research or the presentation. It's pretty hard to completely fabricate something on your CV and not have it come across awkwardly in an interview.

You would likely get caught if you tried fibbing about something that is substantial and easily verifiable though (ie if you claim you published in a journal that is indexed in PubMed, you can bet that at least one of your interviewers would try to find that abstract before they interviewed you).

I don't know that I've ever taken the time to read the OP for this thread, but I disagree--I would generally list a poster as a poster. I think what the OP said 11 years ago may be outdated, it's actually now quite common for abstracts from large academic societies to get published as a supplement.

To be clear, there are no "rules" and it's all just kind of what people think. FWIW, I also disagree with this and would say it's OK to list posters that were presented by other members of the group so long as you clearly indicate who presented.
Is having an *abstract* published in a supplementary journal considered more prestigious than presenting a poster at a conference? Or does it not matter?

Thank you again for all of your help! :)

Is having an *abstract* published in a supplementary journal considered more prestigious than presenting a poster at a conference? Or does it not matter?

Thank you again for all of your help! :)
For most the major conferences, they'll automatically publish all the posters as an abstract. For some like ASCO, the abstract publication is actually less competitive than the poster (abstracts not selected for a poster/oral will be published as an abstract only).

For most the major conferences, they'll automatically publish all the posters as an abstract. For some like ASCO, the abstract publication is actually less competitive than the poster (abstracts not selected for a poster/oral will be published as an abstract only).

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
For virtual poster presentations, what are we supposed to put for location? The address of the HQ? The place were the physical conference was supposed to be initially?
Also if the poster presentation is submitted via youtube video, then what do we put for the date of the poster presentation? The submission date? Or the date that awards were given?
COVID times...

For virtual poster presentations, what are we supposed to put for location? The address of the HQ? The place were the physical conference was supposed to be initially?
Also if the poster presentation is submitted via youtube video, then what do we put for the date of the poster presentation? The submission date? Or the date that awards were given?
COVID times...
"Virtual"
And the date of the start of the conference. Or a range of dates including the conference. Or if the conference spans many months, when your poster was initially available for viewing on the conference website.

Don't overthink it. Everyone understands that things are weird in the time of COVID.

COVID times...
Agree with mvenus. I say “presented virtually due to covid pandemic. Date range Of conference

Agree with mvenus. I say “presented virtually due to covid pandemic. Date range Of conference
one thing that makes it tricky is that eras requires you enter a country/state from a drop down list, then has a free text box for city. For now I've just made note that it was virtual and then put the location the conference was intended to be in (if scheduled then moved online) or just put my own location if it was scheduled virtually from the beginning (and doesn't have another obvious location to choose)

one thing that makes it tricky is that eras requires you enter a country/state from a drop down list, then has a free text box for city. For now I've just made note that it was virtual and then put the location the conference was intended to be in (if scheduled then moved online) or just put my own location if it was scheduled virtually from the beginning (and doesn't have another obvious location to choose)
Sure.

this is very much from the department of things that do not matter.

So if I am an author for an abstract that was accepted at a conference but this conference does not publish the abstract in a journal, can I list it on ERAS?

If you published a policy resolution for a national organization of medicine conference (AMA, AAFP, LMSA) does it count as a publication on ERAS? Or how should I include this on ERAS?

If you published a policy resolution for a national organization of medicine conference (AMA, AAFP, LMSA) does it count as a publication on ERAS? Or how should I include this on ERAS?
Published where? Many of these "resolutions" eventually wind up in the journal for that organization. But if you guys just drafted a resolution that stays internal, then I'm not sure that's a publication it's just part of the "activity" description.
even if I'm not first author?
Yes.

Published where? Many of these "resolutions" eventually wind up in the journal for that organization. But if you guys just drafted a resolution that stays internal, then I'm not sure that's a publication it's just part of the "activity" description.

Unfortunately, my resolution was not officially adopted. In this case, could I put that I went to the conference as an activity on my ERAS application and then describe it as an activity? On one hand, I know that this may seem like a minor activity. On the other hand, the resolution is on a topic that I am passionate about. I am also really interested in shaping public health/health policies in my future career. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Unfortunately, my resolution was not officially adopted. In this case, could I put that I went to the conference as an activity on my ERAS application and then describe it as an activity? On one hand, I know that this may seem like a minor activity. On the other hand, the resolution is on a topic that I am passionate about. I am also really interested in shaping public health/health policies in my future career. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
You can describe the activity, but if the resolution wasn't adopted that isn't a published anything. You can talk about your passion for a subject, but I'm not sure the value of saying that you drafted a resolution that wasn't adopted. It seems more like something that should just be described in your personal statement than actually serve as a line on your CV.

Ideally the conference attendance should be one aspect under some other activity like participation in an interest group or serving on a committee for the society. Just showing up at a conference really isn't worth mentioning if you didn't present anything or have anything concrete to show for it.

Where do I put a 2 Book Chapters that were accepted but wont be compiled finalized and published until Jan 2022 and all I have are the volume, title of chapter, authors and journal name

Where do I put a 2 Book Chapters that were accepted but wont be compiled finalized and published until Jan 2022 and all I have are the volume, title of chapter, authors and journal name
Under book chapters, and then explain that it's accepted without an official date of publication yet

• Love
Under book chapters, and then explain that it's accepted without an official date of publication yet
Question-So i went to book chapters but then it has an asterisk by year of publication and its required that I click on a year. It is supposed to be published in 2022 but it wont allow me to put in a date after the current year. Do I just put 2021 and then explain somewhere about how its accepted without official date yet somwhere on the page as you had suggested?

Question-So i went to book chapters but then it has an asterisk by year of publication and its required that I click on a year. It is supposed to be published in 2022 but it wont allow me to put in a date after the current year. Do I just put 2021 and then explain somewhere about how its accepted without official date yet somwhere on the page as you had suggested?
Sure

stupid question, but do school journal clubs count? this is not associated with a specific rotation, its a biweekly meeting at my school. I did research and wrote a position paper for a public health policy internship. Was not selected for the internship, and trying to see if I can somehow still list this paper since I'm presenting it to my school.

Probably a long shot I know, just don't have any research on my application.

stupid question, but do school journal clubs count? this is not associated with a specific rotation, its a biweekly meeting at my school. I did research and wrote a position paper for a public health policy internship. Was not selected for the internship, and trying to see if I can somehow still list this paper since I'm presenting it to my school.

I wouldn't count that as research. You are talking about research performed by another person. you could list it as an experience (perhaps leadership if you led them).

I wouldn't count that as research. You are talking about research performed by another person. you could list it as an experience (perhaps leadership if you led them).
Nah it was just me. bummer but what I expected. hopefully it wont matter too much, I'm applying peds

Echo above, this was coursework not research. Do not list.

I have two projects submitted to national conferences, both will update approval of abstracts after applications due- do I list them as submitted abstracts for oral presentations?