Fastest way to improve verbal reasoning score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E=mc^2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have literally been working my butt off to do good on the mcat. I have studied for approximately 8 or 9 hours a day for the last 4 months trying to improve my score. However, I ran into a bit of a problem. I haven't really taken a lot of practice tests until recently because I only had a limited amount and I didn't want to use them all up. I started taking practice tests, and my bio and physical sections I am very happy with. I have usually been scoring between 12-13 on both sections on average using a variety of different companies. However, my verbal reasoning score is atrocious. I scored a 6 on my last verbal Princeton review test (#3, which comes with cracking the mcat). I scored an 8 on the gold standard test (free online version). I was wondering if you guys have any ideas how to improve from between a 6-9, which i have been getting, to ideally an 11 on the verbal in a span of two weeks. Should I stop doing bio and physical science practice tests all together and just read as much as I can? I have about 15 or so verbal tests left, and I have already gon through probably 6 or so, and my scores seem to have declined over the course of them. 11, 9, 8, 6 were my last 4. It seems like i have to use different approaches to solve the problem with different testing companies. Its becoming quite frustrating. Anyways, anyone got any advice on how to improve in that section fast?

Members don't see this ad.

I have (and still do) similar problems. If it's timing, practice reading without pausing; that has worked better for me in timing. Also, I am thinking about postponing my exam to hone my strategy and burn through as much practice as possible. Have you considered doing that?

Part of it is timing for me. I always get more wrong on the last 10 or 15 than I do on the first 25 or so. Its probably not a good idea for me to postpone because I am already sitting out a year and a lot of deadlines for applying are mid October.

I look at these passages and think, how hard can this be? The biggest problem is that I have seen no improvement in the past 3 months (granted I spent WAY less time on the verbal than on the other two sections). I will be quite mad if I get 13's on both bio and physical and a 6 on the verbal.