Fasttracking the Med route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New Vocab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I want to know if there is any way of fasttracking the undergrad-med student-residence = *bing**bing* - total of 9 year track to becoming a general physician. I'll be out of high school come this January, and is there some kind of program in Canada or the US that would allow me to lower the amount of years I have to spend in school to reach my goal?

I've read that McGill offers a Prepatory Medicine program, but it's only for Quebecois students (secede, you bastards, SECEDE). Does anyone know anything about fasttracking? (I should've posted this in a more general thread, I would've gotten more views).

Members don't see this ad.

So, I want to know if there is any way of fasttracking the undergrad-med student-residence = *bing**bing* - total of 9 year track to becoming a general physician. I'll be out of high school come this January, and is there some kind of program in Canada or the US that would allow me to lower the amount of years I have to spend in school to reach my goal?

I've read that McGill offers a Prepatory Medicine program, but it's only for Quebecois students (secede, you bastards, SECEDE). Does anyone know anything about fasttracking? (I should've posted this in a more general thread, I would've gotten more views).

Where did you get 9 years? Shouldn't that be 11? 4 + 4 + 3?

Actually in Canada (depending on the school) you could do it in as fast as 9 years. 3 (only need 90 credits at some schools) + 4 + 2 (Family medicine is a 2 year residency in Canada)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually in Canada (depending on the school) you could do it in as fast as 9 years. 3 (only need 90 credits at some schools) + 4 + 2 (Family medicine is a 2 year residency in Canada)

I guess you could cut it down to 8 by going to McMaster.

I guess you could cut it down to 8 by going to McMaster.

Its possible to get the minimum number of required credits for undergrad in 2 years at a few schools that are trimestered (Waterloo comes to mind). Mac or calgary for med can be done in 3 years, and then family practice residency in 2 years. 2+3+2=7.