Favorite Brand of Hearing Instruments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For audiology students currently dispensing, what is your preferred brand of hearing instruments to dispense? Do you get to choose or is this decided for you by your preceptor? What have been your experiences with customer service? Are there any hearing aid features that you have been enthusiastic about?

My preference, in terms of customer service, has been Phonak and Unitron. In terms of pricing, it seems that Unitron and Rexton give the patients the most value for their money. I think the most interesting feature I have seen has been Phonak's ZoomControl feature available on their Exelia product. It allows for the user to select which azimuth the directional mic is most sensitive at via their MyPilot remote. I also like Siemen's Tek Wireless (bluetooth) system available for their Pure, Motion, Life, and Explorer product lines.

Members don't see this ad.

I am finding a strong preference for Phonak, due primarily to the IPFG 2.2 software. Though Oticon's chip has been mentioned as possibly providing a clearer signal, I haven't heard any complaints about the new family of Phonaks. When factoring in the amount of control given to the audiologist in ipfg 2.2, I see no great reason to dispense other brands.

Though the ZoomControl of Exelia is certainly cool, I am not a big fan of the Exelia because of the cost. It doesn't really give you much that the versata doesn't have. The dsp chip is the exact same in all three levels. Why pay such a premium?

I forgot to mention how wonderful the cordless fitting with Phonak is!!