Favorite MCAT Study Music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADeadLois

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else like to listen to music when they study? Sometimes calm, relaxing music helps me focus.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Sigur Ros, ( ): Great background music. Unlike anything you've ever heard.
Wilco, "Being There": Laid-back, alt-country
Dispatch, Bang Bang: Sort of Dave Matthews meets Barenaked Ladies.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

ADeadLois said:
Anyone else like to listen to music when they study? Sometimes calm, relaxing music helps me focus.

My ever-growing Scrubs playlist.

If you like Sigur Ros, you'll love Múm. Get a couple of their albums, PERFECT background study music, and Icelandic too!

ADeadLois said:
Anyone else like to listen to music when they study? Anyone else have any recommendations?
I love Jazz. Charlie parker, art blakey, duke ellington, sidney bechet, anything. Bebop, cool, swing, acid jazz, whatever.
Or instrumental hip-hop is good, too - Rjd2 (or soul position), diplo, dj shadow, cut chemist, blockhead, whatever. I'm into production so some of that stuff might be a bit too esoteric for your tastes.
Meh, I've got too much music....

Members don't see this ad :)
Zero7 and Air are good ambient groups for studying

I definitely second the Zero7 and Air playlist.

Add to that Esthero, Morcheeba, The Doves, Angie Stone, Bjork.

kimmcauliffe said:
I definitely second the Zero7 and Air playlist.

Add to that Esthero, Morcheeba, The Doves, Angie Stone, Bjork.
oh yeah. another bjork lover here. (biggest bjork fan ever here).

Something by staind or pantera. Keep the blood flowing to the brain. :horns: :horns:

ADeadLois said:

So, going by the other posts on here, Im a little out of the loop with the music taste...but, when I was studying for that damn test I used to listen to Godsmack... :eek: :horns: no clue why, but a lot of noise is needed for me to concentrate... :eek:

UCDavisdude said:
oh yeah. another bjork lover here. (biggest bjork fan ever here).

Have you ever listened to the stuff she did while she was in The Sugar Cubes? Still wierd, but I prefer the stuff she's done in the last 10 years or so.

Jamers said:
used to listen to Godsmack... :eek: :horns: no clue why, but a lot of noise is needed for me to concentrate... :eek:

You should see them live!! I got kicked in the face, dropped while crowdsurfing, squashed... it was AWESOME :thumbup:

Jack Johnson- "In Between Dreams"
Jay-Z- "The Black Album", "The Blueprint 2.1"
Kanye West- "The College dropout" "Late Registration"
Jordan and Jon- "Examkrackers Audio Osmosis"

kimmcauliffe said:
Have you ever listened to the stuff she did while she was in The Sugar Cubes? Still wierd, but I prefer the stuff she's done in the last 10 years or so.
yeah, sugar cubes are pretty good, i cant seem to find the english version of "birthday" though. oh well.. im surprised no one has mentioned the cures disintegration album. my absolute favorite album all time, i even like it more than all sigur ros and bjorks vespertine, now thats saying alot. i recommend the cures disintegration to everyone.. you can all thank me later, especially listen to fascination street, disintegration and lullaby and homesick as well....ahhh, the whole friggin album!!

kimmcauliffe said:
You should see them live!! I got kicked in the face, dropped while crowdsurfing, squashed... it was AWESOME :thumbup:

Niceeee :horns: but, no, sadly, I have never seen them live :( although I always have wanted to. No one wants to go with me because of the possiblity of being kicked in the face, dropped and or squashed, sissys...

kimmcauliffe said:

I was going to attempt to send this as a PM but, for some reason, the SDN gods prevented that: I had a chance to look at your blog and I love it ahah, my buddy and I, who are strangly going to the same medical school come August, always laugh at the posts on SDN that ask about the GPA and I think you captured it perfectly:

Absolutely not. That three-hundredths of a point is costing you dearly, as many medical students will tell you. The best way to remedy this is to overload yourself with physics, chemistry, and an upper level math class. Also, shoot for a 42 on your MCATs. You may still have a fighting chance.

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I cannot study with music but rather with white noise. I either listen to a thunderstorm or the sounds of the bay. I am sure this would put others to sleep but with me, it drowns out the outside noise while not being distracting

EMT2ER-DOC said:
I cannot study with music but rather with white noise. I either listen to a thunderstorm or the sounds of the bay. I am sure this would put others to sleep but with me, it drowns out the outside noise while not being distracting
same here, it is impossible to study with music. At least in my case :scared:

i love my gangsta $#*^, tupac, memphis bleek, Nas, Mike Jones, and of course Tim McGraw.

Cooolguy said:
i love my gangsta $#*^, tupac, memphis bleek, Nas, Mike Jones, and of course Tim McGraw.

I'm pretty sure you're the only person in the world (outside of Memphis) listening to Memphis Bleek -- good stuff, I went to school in Memphis.