FDA Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched but did not find any info. So, would appreciate if someone has any information regarding FDA rotation.
1. My site is located in Silver Spring, MD. So, do I apply for intern license of MD or Washington, DC? Or do I even need to apply for one?
2. I will be in Silver Spring from jan 2nd 2017 for a month and would like to know if anyone else will be in the area and possibly housing options.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1. No, your welcome packet should have gone over that you need to be in good standing with YOUR state. Also, though, what requirements are necessary for YOUR state's licensure are things that you have to be proactive about. The FDA faculty do not necessarily have the same license as you do. If you happen to be MN, TX, or from a state where it is mandated that the site's preceptor have a license from that state, you need to initiate your exception process immediately (the federal government is always considered a valid exception to the state license possession rule) so that your hours count. You cannot retrospectively do it in MN or some other states.

Reactions: 1 users
In almost all cases an FDA rotation is considered an elective rotation, and some state boards of pharmacy won't count time spent in a non-clinical setting like FDA towards your intern hours. From the perspective of the FDA they don't care in which state you have your intern license (if they even care at all that you have an intern license, what's more important to them is that you are actually enrolled in a pharmacy school), but if you're worried about having enough intern hours, check with your state board's requirements and how many hours of non-clinical work (i.e. administrative or regulatory type work) they will consider towards your intern hours.

For housing options I would ask your preceptor if they know of anything. Also airbnb might be worth a shot. It's usually not too difficult to find short term rentals in the area - lots of interns and students come through these parts.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all. Appreciate your reply. My preceptor sent me an email as well saying no intern license is necessary since there is no dispensing involved. Thanks again.