Feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiscomumbulatedOne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to know if it's at all feasible for me to apply to med school based on these factors:

1st BSc in Biology (completed in '03) - Overall GPA - 3.0

Spent a year teaching English in Japan (JET programme)

Started BASc in Engineering in '04 at a different school

Hated being back in school (after my mind-blowing experience in Japan) and didn't care for it and as a result was required to withdraw for a year

Over the course of 2.5 years, I worked odd-jobs and completed a few courses via correspondence (to get back into Uni).

Got back into Uni in '08 and completed my BASc in Chemical Engineering in '12 (also completed Co-op programme)

GPA for my BASc: 65% (taking into account my failed year) and 72% (not taking into account the failed year)

Applied for a lot of jobs, got a few interviews, didn't manage to get anything, became disillusioned. Oh I also got married and divorced too!

Am now at graduate school in Europe studying Molecular Biotechnology with a focus on developmental biology and my 1st semester GPA thus far is a 5/5 (No clue as to how this would convert) - Would my grad school grades even matter?

I am Canadian and both of my undergraduate degrees were obtained in Canada. I am looking at either the Caribbean, Malaysia, Estonia, Hungary, or Australia as options since I have zero desire to live/work/study in the US and I probably am not good enough for them anyways and Canadian schools are just impossible for me as well. My plan after finishing up my MSc is to head back home, find a job in research, study for the MCAT and get some volunteering in, all over the course of a year.

Should I just get this whole doctor thing out of my head and just do a PhD or something or should I carry on forward with this maddening dream?

Members don't see this ad.

72%? 5/5? What stats does the average matriculant in Estonia have? I have no idea about any of this. Do you have something standardized like a MCAT score?

Just want to know if it's at all feasible for me to apply to med school based on these factors:

1st BSc in Biology (completed in '03) - Overall GPA - 3.0

Spent a year teaching English in Japan (JET programme)

Started BASc in Engineering in '04 at a different school

Hated being back in school (after my mind-blowing experience in Japan) and didn't care for it and as a result was required to withdraw for a year

Over the course of 2.5 years, I worked odd-jobs and completed a few courses via correspondence (to get back into Uni).

Got back into Uni in '08 and completed my BASc in Chemical Engineering in '12 (also completed Co-op programme)

GPA for my BASc: 65% (taking into account my failed year) and 72% (not taking into account the failed year)

Applied for a lot of jobs, got a few interviews, didn't manage to get anything, became disillusioned. Oh I also got married and divorced too!

Am now at graduate school in Europe studying Molecular Biotechnology with a focus on developmental biology and my 1st semester GPA thus far is a 5/5 (No clue as to how this would convert) - Would my grad school grades even matter?

I am Canadian and both of my undergraduate degrees were obtained in Canada. I am looking at either the Caribbean, Malaysia, Estonia, Hungary, or Australia as options since I have zero desire to live/work/study in the US and I probably am not good enough for them anyways and Canadian schools are just impossible for me as well. My plan after finishing up my MSc is to head back home, find a job in research, study for the MCAT and get some volunteering in, all over the course of a year.

Should I just get this whole doctor thing out of my head and just do a PhD or something or should I carry on forward with this maddening dream?
SDN has another forum called International Medicine, which you'll find further down on the list. You might better seek your answers there, as mainly US and Canadian med school applicants hang out in this area.