Feeling awkward during shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfmontpoker

I hate chemistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today was my first day of shadowing... Just felt kinda awkward, dont know why... Anyone else ever feel awkward while they shadowed? With the other employees and what not?

Members don't see this ad.

At the start, it can be somewhat awkward I suppose, but be sure to be around the dentist as much as possible, and limit your exposure to the staff..after all, you are trying to see as many procedures as possible. If you don't like the office, you can always find another one, but yes, I admit it is a little weird not knowing how a dental office operates at first, but you'll start to feel more at home as time passes by. Hopefully the dentist is friendly and takes you under his wing. Good luck!

That's perfectly normal..When I first started dental assit., I was so nervous. I just felt uncomfortable because it was a new environment for me. After a few days, it was second nature to me. Give it a couple of more visits... ;)

golfmontpoker said:
So today was my first day of shadowing... Just felt kinda awkward, dont know why... Anyone else ever feel awkward while they shadowed? With the other employees and what not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Normal. You'll get used to it. I've shadowed probably 10 or so times and it is getting better.

I would advise that you do spend some time w/ the staff. Sure you're there to see what it is like to be a dentist, but you are also seeing how to run a dental office, and a huge part of a dental office is your staff. Ask them what their job is about, what education and certification they had to have to do what they do, ask them why they became whatever they are, and ask them lots of questions! If it is an office w/ a male doctor and all female staff, ask the females about the male/female barrier, and the doctor/staff barrier. They will give you very important tips on how to keep things smooth. Make the staff feel important too, they will make your shadowing experience much better if you show them you're there to learn about the whole thing not just being a dentist! Letting the staff know how important they are is something I think we will all have to get good at as future dentists if we want to have successful practices.

Plus you should get in good w/ the staff, because if you are at a busy office, they may be the only ones who take the time to explain procedure to you. Plus, surely they will all talk about you at lunch, so best to be on everyones good side, especially if you are going for a recommendation.

Also if they have an office manager incharge of hiring, talk to them and find out what they look for in the people they hire.

There is nothing any person, even the patients, at the office can tell you that won't be valuable in someway.

Just try to stay out of the way and smile to the staff when they pass you in the corridor. Observe the Dentist's behaviour too, if he looks stressed and is working on an intensive case, keep your distance. Also make sure the Dentist asks the patient's permission if you can observe in each case, because they can feel very awkward themselves if they're being watched! Bottom line though, there will be awkward moments but just think to yourself "who cares!" It's something that has to be done for you to achieve your career goal! So take it all in stride.

Good luck

thanx for the input guys! Just wanted to make sure i wasnt the only one :oops: I have been talking to all the staff though... hell i spent 15 minutes with the lady in charge of billing the patients and talked to a hygenist for a while to. You are right though Igreen, I have only shadowed there twice now and they were all talking about me! :D Kinda made me feel good. This office im working at seems reallllllly cool, so i think i can take a lot of great info and experiance with me

THe first day I ever observed in a dental office I fainted. I was so nervous about being there and the doctor was extracting a wisdom tooth. I passed out. So...don't feel bad that you feel awkward. You'll get used to it.

My first time shadowing an assistant came in to where I was sitting and told me that her first day on the job some guy came in with his mouth rotting out something awful. She said the stench was so bad that she puked right into her mask. So that first day was a little awkward -- but since then things have been great! Stick with it buddy.

Mack

Mackchops said:
My first time shadowing an assistant came in to where I was sitting and told me that her first day on the job some guy came in with his mouth rotting out something awful. She said the stench was so bad that she puked right into her mask. So that first day was a little awkward -- but since then things have been great! Stick with it buddy.

Mack

its normal... im an assistant and i've passed out twice in 3 years-- and once was right after an extraction. the blood didnt bother me... it was the odor of the decaying teeth, the build up surrounding each tooth, and the patient's overall b.o. :scared: and the other time was because of my personal health.

Mackchops said:

Mack

im starting to feel hungry for some reason..

As eveyone else has said it is OK to at first feel a little out of place. Ask a lot of questions and note why it is that you feel awkward.

i've been shadowing the same dentist for over a year and there are still some akward times b/c he'll be extremely busy and i'll feel like i'm just in the way, or just for the fact that i've been standing there watching for two hours and though it's all very interesting, i've seen so many amalgams done that i can't help but be bored. sometimes i ask around and see if any of the staff has anything i can do for them like wash down rooms or tools.

I felt very awkward at first, but now not at all.

I also recommend spending some time with the staff. I think we are there to see how the whole dental office works... not just what the dentist does.

I'm getting to the point where I feel like I'm seeing a lot of stuff over and over again, but I also tend to see at least one new weird (to me) case every time I go. In 30 hours of shadowing, I've seen a guy that grew no permanent teeth on the bottom and had tons of issues related to that, several people with grinding/clinching issues that could not get help from MDs and were asking the dentist to help them, one girl with some disease that caused her enamel to not form properly, and tons of other stuff besides typical drilling and filling, root canals, extractions, and crowns.

Galen1 said:
Just try to stay out of the way and smile to the staff when they pass you in the corridor. Observe the Dentist's behaviour too, if he looks stressed and is working on an intensive case, keep your distance. Also make sure the Dentist asks the patient's permission if you can observe in each case, because they can feel very awkward themselves if they're being watched! Bottom line though, there will be awkward moments but just think to yourself "who cares!" It's something that has to be done for you to achieve your career goal! So take it all in stride.

Good luck

i can TOTALLY understand where your coming from. It was awkward bumping into him in the corridor, all I did was smile and avoid eyecontact. Also, you can SO TELL when the doctor is just irritated or frustrated, like he doesnt even care if your there (it seems like) and you really feel out of place....like you don't even know where to stand anymore so you won't be in the doctor's and assistant's space. But my attitude is 'WHO CARES! i'm not gonna see you anymore after i'm done..it's for my career and it's so i can get into dental school, right?" so it's all worth it in the end. BESIDES, you really do learn alot though, as oppposed to not shadowing. Like more than the doctor, talk to the dental assistants or the rest of the staff and they will give you some GOOD advice and you'll hear complaints that you can watch out for when you become a dentist. you'll really be able to sense the POLITICS within the staff members and business...money...patient relationships... it really helps to see all that, coz your basically going to dental school TO DO dentistry so don't worry too much about the procedures. Pay attention to the environment, the mood, the patient's happiness, the doctor's attitude, the dental assistant's work, and their philosophies. It helps to create a picture of what you want your office to be like.....think about it!

GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

Also I'd say pay attention to the patients. Walk into the room before the doctor a few times and introduce yourself to the patient and tell them why you are there. I actually had a funny experience doing this once. The patient got confused and said "I thought I was seeing Dr. so and so today?", not realizing despite only being 21 that I'm NOT a dentist. Ha Ha. Also have conversations w/ the patients (not interfering w/ the doc or assistants of course though) to keep their mind distracted while they are waiting for the dentist to come in. See what it is like to be in the position of initiating communication.

Also take note of what the dentist does to comfort the patients and what irritates or makes the patients uncomfortable. I really think being able to read people needs (both verbal and body language), adapt, and take care of those needs is going to be so so important to being a successful dentist.

I also take note of things that might seem less important, but nonetheless are, such as how the office is laid out and how smooth the setup allows everyone to function. I also look at how the operatories are setup, again to see how smooth the setup allows everyone to function. I already know that I want Pelton and Crane eclipse model chairs. ha ha.

Most of all...have fun w/ this experience.