Feeling discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dobsonek

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my second rejection letter of this application cycle today. It bothers me that programs won’t even give me a chance (especially those that offer interviews) because my GPA is slightly lower than average. There’s more to being a good PT than having good grades in undergrad. I’m feeling more than a little discouraged and I don’t know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your head high, you are not alone! If PT is truly your passion, stay motivated and try to stay positive. Are there some classes you could retake to improve your GPA?

I am very sorry to hear that. When I was applying to programs, I looked at the average GPAs of accepted students (PTCAS provides this). If my GPAs fell above the average then I knew I'd be good at least in that department. However, if my GPA fell slightly below I looked at average GRE scores to see how my scores compared. I personally had a good amount of observation hours in several different settings and knew my extracurriculars, as well as my essay, would make me a strong applicant. Have you looked into applying to programs where your GPA is near that of previous accepted students? Also how do you know you are being rejected solely because of your GPA? Could your application be lacking in other areas?

I agree with the user above though, If PT is really something you want to do, keep working at it! All of your hard work WILL pay off:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you are giving each application the attention it deserves, rather than spamming your application to see who picks it up. Not saying that's what you're doing, but I know it's an easy trap when you're applying to lots of places.

I am very sorry to hear that. When I was applying to programs, I looked at the average GPAs of accepted students (PTCAS provides this). If my GPAs fell above the average then I knew I'd be good at least in that department. However, if my GPA fell slightly below I looked at average GRE scores to see how my scores compared. I personally had a good amount of observation hours in several different settings and knew my extracurriculars, as well as my essay, would make me a strong applicant. Have you looked into applying to programs where your GPA is near that of previous accepted students? Also how do you know you are being rejected solely because of your GPA? Could your application be lacking in other areas?

I agree with the user above though, If PT is really something you want to do, keep working at it! All of your hard work WILL pay off:)
I mean the only reason I can come up with for being denied the opportunity to interview is because of my GPA. My calculated PTCAS gpa is a 3.09 because I struggled my first 2 years of college due to undiagnosed mental illness and also issues at home. My GRE is average. I currently work as a PT aide and have loads of outpatient hours in multiple settings, as well as about 40 inpatient hours. I was involved in a few clubs (PT related and not) in undergrad and did a good bit of volunteering so I’m well rounded in that area as well. I’m currently retaking a few prereqs to improve my GPA but I mean I’m not sure what else I can do, I’ve already put in a ton of work from last cycle (where I was rejected from every program I applied to) to this one.

I mean the only reason I can come up with for being denied the opportunity to interview is because of my GPA. My calculated PTCAS gpa is a 3.09 because I struggled my first 2 years of college due to undiagnosed mental illness and also issues at home. My GRE is average. I currently work as a PT aide and have loads of outpatient hours in multiple settings, as well as about 40 inpatient hours. I was involved in a few clubs (PT related and not) in undergrad and did a good bit of volunteering so I’m well rounded in that area as well. I’m currently retaking a few prereqs to improve my GPA but I mean I’m not sure what else I can do, I’ve already put in a ton of work from last cycle (where I was rejected from every program I applied to) to this one.

Hey.
How many programs did you apply to last year?
How many programs are you applying to this year?
What are your stats?

Don't feel discouraged. I think you should apply to as many programs as you could. You only need acceptance to one school and the school you get accepted to doesn't matter, you'll be taking the board exam like everyone else. I plan on applying to at least 15 schools because my GPA and GRE is below the average.

Furthermore, there are hundreds of school that do not look at the cumulative GPA. There are schools who only focus on the prerequisite GPA or simply the last 60 hours.

You got this. Cast a bigger net, you'll get into one.

Good luck.

Hey.
How many programs did you apply to last year?
How many programs are you applying to this year?
What are your stats?

Don't feel discouraged. I think you should apply to as many programs as you could. You only need acceptance to one school and the school you get accepted to doesn't matter, you'll be taking the board exam like everyone else. I plan on applying to at least 15 schools because my GPA and GRE is below the average.

Furthermore, there are hundreds of school that do not look at the cumulative GPA. There are schools who only focus on the prerequisite GPA or simply the last 60 hours.

You got this. Cast a bigger net, you'll get into one.

Good luck.
cGPA: 3.09
pGPA: 2.7-3.1 depending on the school (without the ones I’m currently taking)
GRE: 148V, 149Q, 3.5
Observation hours: ~900 outpatient split between 3 different clinics, 40 acute care inpatient

Last cycle I only applied to 2 programs. This time I’ve applied to 14.

Reactions: 1 user
Sending good vibes your way! I am sure you will get at least one interview and you will be able to prove that you are worthy of success within PT school without having a 4.00 GPA or 160V/160Q GRE! I believe in you and will be thinking of you on your journey!! Good luck!

Observation hours: ~900 outpatient split between 3 different clinics, 40 acute care inpatient

You're going to be fine. 14 schools, one of them will accept you. Crush those prerequisites. Keep me updated, I'm in a similar situation such as yourself. Good luck.

I got rejected by 3 schools the 1st time I applied. At first, it did not make sense to me why I did not even get an interview. I then talked to all 3 schools about their reasoning, critically looked at my application yet again, and it actually made sense to me why I was rejected. Then I considered what I still could do to improve my application and increase my chances. There still were ways for improvement and I also considered less competitive schools. I applied the following year to 3 schools (1 the same and 2 new ones) and got accepted to all 3.

Reactions: 1 user
I got rejected by 3 schools the 1st time I applied. At first, it did not make sense to me why I did not even get an interview. I then talked to all 3 schools about their reasoning, critically looked at my application yet again, and it actually made sense to me why I was rejected. Then I considered what I still could do to improve my application and increase my chances. There still were ways for improvement and I also considered less competitive schools. I applied the following year to 3 schools (1 the same and 2 new ones) and got accepted to all 3.
Congrats. I only applied to 2 schools last cycle and was rejected from both. I asked one why I was rejected and then spent the past year trying to improve my application from what they said. I did, and yet it’s still happening. So far I’ve been rejected from one of the same (not the one I asked) and a new one.

I am in a similar situation and stats as well but prerequisites are a 3.35-3.45. But Ill increase it to 3.5-3.67 after this semester is over. Consider applying to schools that consider your highest retake prerequisites and have a latter deadline. Also, some schools take a holistic view.

Have you applied to the university of st. augustine? I heard they take a more holistic approach to accepting applicants. I'm impressed my your observationhours! That shows dedication!

I'm a current first year student who had a sub 3.0 GPA upon graduation (and only raised it above 3.0 after retaking 9 classes.) So long as you have an upward trend and submit an amazing essay to those schools, you're chances of getting in dramatically increase. They want to see your perseverance.

I'm a current first year student who had a sub 3.0 GPA upon graduation (and only raised it above 3.0 after retaking 9 classes.) So long as you have an upward trend and submit an amazing essay to those schools, you're chances of getting in dramatically increase. They want to see your perseverance.
Where do you go, if you don’t mind me asking?

Similar stats
cGPA 3.05
pGPA 3.3-3.5
GRE 162V 160Q 5.0AW

I've spread out applications and hoping that strong essays and recommendations can let the admissions team know the person I am today, not the student I was 8 years ago in undergrad. Everyone keeps telling me there ARE schools that value a holistic person with life experiences beyond the classroom. Keep trying! Im not giving up and you shouldn't either!

Just some observations here....did you ensure you met the Pre req GPA requirements to apply at each of your schools? Did you meet the GRE requirements? I think the pGPA and GRE scores are maybe more of a factor than cGPA. Bad grades aside, if you can't get high grades in the pre reqs, the school's see someone who may not do so well in a very tough and heavy science curriculum.

You may benefit from getting straight As in a heavy academic year, and then applying to schools who look only at most recent. Every school uses different numbers. You may want to be strategic...ie don't apply to schools with GRE minimums, or apply to schools who take the best grade of pre reqs.

Don't give up, but be open to the critical admissions eye on your stats. (Took me 2 times applying to get in...and the second time I only got in on wait list. I had a horrible CGPA.BUT, I retook every one of my pre reqs for an A so there was no question I could do the work).

Just some observations here....did you ensure you met the Pre req GPA requirements to apply at each of your schools? Did you meet the GRE requirements? I think the pGPA and GRE scores are maybe more of a factor than cGPA. Bad grades aside, if you can't get high grades in the pre reqs, the school's see someone who may not do so well in a very tough and heavy science curriculum.

You may benefit from getting straight As in a heavy academic year, and then applying to schools who look only at most recent. Every school uses different numbers. You may want to be strategic...ie don't apply to schools with GRE minimums, or apply to schools who take the best grade of pre reqs.

Don't give up, but be open to the critical admissions eye on your stats. (Took me 2 times applying to get in...and the second time I only got in on wait list. I had a horrible CGPA.BUT, I retook every one of my pre reqs for an A so there was no question I could do the work).
Currently retaking a few prereqs (ones I got lower than a B in). That being said, I’ve already graduated from undergrad and I don’t have unlimited money or time to spend at a community college retaking classes. I did apply strategically, so thank you for that. The only reason both of my GPAs are so low was because during those key semesters (freshman and sophomore years) I was struggling with an undiagnosed mental illness and also with a sick/dying grandparent at home, which I’m unable to tell the schools without being offered an interview. I’m actually very bright and do well academically. My GPA for my last 60 hours is a 3.85. So while I appreciate the time you took to comment, I don’t appreciate being treated as if I threw away literally thousands of dollars to schools that would never accept me nor do I appreciate being more or less told that I would never succeed in a DPT curriculum.