Feeling very terrified about my future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Lately, I’ve been feeling very discouraged about my future. I feel like everything is falling apart for me and I’m starting to lose hope. This is my second time applying to PT schools after I got rejected few years ago to 5 schools. I took a year off to work on my application by retaking pre-req classes and the GRE, observing different settings, and currently in an internship while working as a rehab tech in an OP/sports med clinic for 2 years.

Long story short, I got two rejection letters few weeks ago and waiting to hear from 14 more schools. Ever since I got rejection letters, I’m starting to fear the worst even though I shouldn’t be thinking like this. I’m trying to be optimistic and hopeful for an interview, but now the reality is hitting me hard that I won’t get in this year due to my stats. I know this is reality, but I want just one school to look at me more than just grades/GRE scores. I’m started to think about retaking classes with B’s to improve my GPA and retake the GRE again next year. I don’t want to sound like a sore loser and pessimistic, but I need help to be motivated and not giving up my dream. Feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You’re not alone. I posted something almost identical to this a week or so ago. I applied last year and was rejected from both of the schools I applied to. I’ve spent this last year getting in more observation hours (and landing a rehab tech job) and retaking prereqs, but I’ve also received 2 rejection letters so far this cycle. I’m waiting to hear back from 12 more schools, but like you I’m starting to worry. All I can really say is if you don’t get in this year, ask the programs what it is that made them turn you down and then spend the next year fixing up those areas and trying again. Or, concede and go the PTA route. However, 14 more schools to hear from is a lot. I believe in you. We’ve got this!

Reactions: 2 users
I am sorry that you're going through this. Try to stay positive, but there is no shame in developing a Plan B.

Members don't see this ad :)
The good news is you're casting a very wide net so you've optimized your chances. Do you feel like you were able to give each application the attention it required? It's a lot of work to write supplemental essays and make sure you've met the requirements for each program.

I was feeling the same way, as a non-trad applicant with an extremely low cGPA. I was mentally preparing to move on with my life, but I was finally accepted somewhere. I believe that there is a school for everyone out there that is willing to see you for your efforts and what you bring to the table. Keep your head up and stay super busy to pass the time. It's tough, but it helps.

Reactions: 1 users
You've both got this. We're all going to be fine; I know it's tough to have to worry that you won't get in... my brain keeps wanting to go back and forth between high confidence and doubt, and I've had to just let myself feel and acknowledge that. It's scary not knowing. Are you both set on PT, or considering PTA? Honestly, the ROI is probably better for PTA, but I'm very set on getting a job that will allow me to analyze data and research. I know a lot of PTAs whose PT colleagues consider them equals, and the only difference between them is that the PTs do the initial/reeval/final evaluations. The PTAs have full autonomy in at least one place that I spent a lot of time, and they were highly respected. I thought it was weird at first and then grew to appreciate their knowledge and expertise as no less than the PTs. Their paycheck is smaller, but so is their debt! ;)

Don't worry, some schools are bound to reject students. It's a numbers game. You applied to 14 schools so your chances of getting into at least one of them is pretty good (so long as your stats are acceptable.)

I'm a current first year SPT and I had one waitlist and two rejections when I applied last year.

It's too early to get upset and start planning on improving your application yet again,You are still waiting on 14 (!!!) schools. Waiting sucks. It's ok to think about what else you could improve, but do not overthink it. You will think about it later when you are confident that something else is missing in your application if you do not get accepted anywhere. Otherwise, you may be trying to find a problem where there is no problem.