feeling really stressed out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlr5585

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am doing pre-req's, applying, and doing my observation hours. My stress factor is going up like crazy. I feel like I am going to do all of this work and not get in anywhere. That is my biggest fear. I am applying to SUNY Stony Brook and Touro. My cum GPA from my BA is about a 3.7 but that doesn't factor my science courses (pre-req's) that I haven't finished yet. I also wanted to ask everyone about what they think - it is a rolling deadline for SB of March 15th for the application but I wanted to get it in sooner, however, I will only have one of the recommendation letters completed. Should I submit the application and have my OT submit the letter and then submit the other letter later on? Another question I have is...one of the essays is "If you don't get into the program, what are your plans?" Um, THIS IS MY PLAN. I don't have a backup and if I don't get in I may have to be admitted somewhere. What do I say to that???! Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I am doing pre-req's, applying, and doing my observation hours. My stress factor is going up like crazy. I feel like I am going to do all of this work and not get in anywhere. That is my biggest fear. I am applying to SUNY Stony Brook and Touro. My cum GPA from my BA is about a 3.7 but that doesn't factor my science courses (pre-req's) that I haven't finished yet. I also wanted to ask everyone about what they think - it is a rolling deadline for SB of March 15th for the application but I wanted to get it in sooner, however, I will only have one of the recommendation letters completed. Should I submit the application and have my OT submit the letter and then submit the other letter later on? Another question I have is...one of the essays is "If you don't get into the program, what are your plans?" Um, THIS IS MY PLAN. I don't have a backup and if I don't get in I may have to be admitted somewhere. What do I say to that???! Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Hi! First of all, you are not alone! I think everyone stress out about the whole application process, volunteer hours and taking prerequisite classes. I am in the same boat as you are. I am in the process of completing my volunteer hours at a hospital and I go to school to finish my prereqs. Initially, I was very stressed out because I could not find a hospital or clinic that was willing to take me in to shadow an OT.. Finally, I found a hospital where I started volunteering. Anyway, gathering all the materials can be overwhelming. I was very stressed out when I had to write my personal statement, but I got over with it. I was stressed out about the recommendation letters, but slowly I got all my recommendation letters. By the way, if I were you, I will wait until all my recommendation letters are ready before submitting my application. Also, your undergraduate GPA is pretty good, mine was 3.0 because I messed up in few accounting and finance classes. I already applied to all the schools that I wanted to apply to, now I am scared because I do not know what is going to happen. Sometimes I stress out and ask myself " what will I do if all of these schools rejected me?" I try not to let that get into me. You just have to be strong and think about a back up plan.. I might get into speech language pathology even though I only see myself doing OT. Moreover, do as many extracurricular activities as possible. You want to stand out among all those competitive applicants!!!!

Hello! It is perfectly acceptable to submit the main application to the program before having all of your letters in, as long as everything is completed by the deadline. Also, what I did for the recommendation letters was have my OT supervisors hand me the letters themselves (in sealed envelopes with their signatures across the seal) so I could take responsibility for getting them to the school.
Also, for the essay- they are basically asking you what your back-up plan will be if you don't get into the program this year (i.e. will you take more science courses, do more volunteer work, then try to apply again?). They aren't implying that you would give up on OT entirely, they just want to know what you would do to improve your chances/what you would do differently to accomplish your goal.
Good luck to you! I will be attending Stony Brook this summer myself, so hopefully we will be classmates :)