Fellowship and Step 3 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatsme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Got my step 3 scores today and I just managed to pass with a 77. I will be applying for GI next year and want to know if my score will have a negative impact on my application..

I have heard conflicting views and would really appreciate if u guys could share ur opinion.

Much obliged..

Andy

Members don't see this ad.

you do have to report it, but its inconsequential in the grand scheme of things in my honest opinion.

thatsme said:
Hi everyone!

Got my step 3 scores today and I just managed to pass with a 77. I will be applying for GI next year and want to know if my score will have a negative impact on my application..

I have heard conflicting views and would really appreciate if u guys could share ur opinion.

Much obliged..

Andy

thatsme said:
Hi everyone!

Much obliged..

Andy

You know me in that I don't sugarcoat any advice I give. Yes, it will hurt you to some degree in regards to programs outside your host residency. But at your own program, it won't do anything because people pretty much base their decision on your reputation in the IM program and your personality when interacting with people. Remember your best chance of matching is always at your own program so it won't really hurt you chances overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
novacek88 said:
You know me in that I don't sugarcoat any advice I give. Yes, it will hurt you to some degree in regards to programs outside your host residency. But at your own program, it won't do anything because people pretty much base their decision on your reputation in the IM program and your personality when interacting with people. Remember your best chance of matching is always at your own program so it won't really hurt you chances overall.

Thanks a lot novacek! Shouldn't have taken chances with Step 3. I underestimated the exam, way more than required. Seems like my home program is the one and only bet! Appreciate your input.

thatsme said:
Thanks a lot novacek! Shouldn't have taken chances with Step 3. I underestimated the exam, way more than required. Seems like my home program is the one and only bet! Appreciate your input.

don't sell yourself short. though I'm going into cardiology, i think it also holds true for GI that Step III scores mean virtually nothing for fellowship acceptance unless you fail. i did relatively poorly on step III though not as bad as you and interviewed at very competitive programs. look at it this way: Step III has little relevance to IM fellowship preparation (i mean ob? come on). so why would fellowship directors care about step III?

for competitive fellowshsip what matters most is your LOR, research and the support you have from your faculty.

p diddy

My impression is that step 3 is a very small factor for most fellowship applications but where it has a bit more weight (though still very little) is for fellowships off of IM, i.e. it means even less for fellowships off of anesthesia or peds, e.g. (because step 3 is more medicine than any other discipline).

Thanks a lot P Diddy and neutropenic.

You will never know how encouraging your posts have been for me. I do have a few publications under my belt, and am trying for more :)

Seems like more harwork just might do the trick.

Thanks a million once again, to both of you! Wish you good luck in ur respective endeavours.