Fellowship personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeesipper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i'm an IM resident working on an application for rheumatology fellowship. Any good websites with advice on writing fellowship personal statements? Any advice on what to include / exclude?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about any that have many examples or general directives, but that question has been answered a number of times on these boards. Make sure to ask other people at your program who have already applied and been through the process if they are willing to share theirs. That might give you a good idea of where to start. In general, I think the best strategy is an to talk about where you have come from and where you see yourself going, but not in a "save-the-world" or "I want to be a doctor to help people" statement like from med school, but instead more grounded and practical.

I came across this a while back. It is for a residency application but I think lot of it applies to fellowship application as well.

"The personal statement should not be a biography. Rather, it should consist of three basic parts. First, the statement should explain what it is about the specialty you have chosen that most appeals to you. Secondly, it should present carefully selected information from your background which provides evidence that you have acquired the skills, traits and abilities which program directors in that specialty desire in their residents. The third section should communicate any particular aspects you are looking for in a residency program, a brief description of your long term goals (such as the type of practice or practice setting you hope for), a summation line which lists the strengths you would bring to that program if accepted, and finally, a thank you for their consideration of your credentials."

GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this site has been helpful to you when applying to rheumatology fellowship. While I wrote an informative article on writing a personal statement, what would really benefit future site readers would be several examples of personal statements that readers submitted.
Crappy samples... sell yer ware elsewhere..