Fellowship question for future applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The kitchen sink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a DO student MS4 currently applying to IM.

Here is my situation. I only took Step 2 CK (did not sit for Step 1 USMLE) in addition to my COMLEX 1 and 2. Do fellowship programs (ACGME) need a Step 1 USMLE score, or will they look at other things in my application before considering me?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am a DO student MS4 currently applying to IM.

Here is my situation. I only took Step 2 CK (did not sit for Step 1 USMLE) in addition to my COMLEX 1 and 2. Do fellowship programs (ACGME) need a Step 1 USMLE score, or will they look at other things in my application before considering me?

Thanks.

You'll be fine. Lots of people apply with only COMLEX or just part of the USMLE.

But make sure you do an ACGME residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!
I have a follow up question to this! I'm currently a DO in an ACGME residency. I took both comlex and usmle 1 & 2 (didn't do so great on step 2)
Do I need to take USMLE step 3 to be competitive for fellowship. I'm taking comlex 3 at the end of my intern year, but I really don't want to sit for another exam and pay again all this money unless I really really have to..
My concern is whether not taking USMLE 3 could in any way shape or form hurt my chances at a good broad differential of fellowship programs. I know taking USMLE definitely helped me for residency. I'm currently interested in Heme/Onc vs Cardiology vs PCCM, but I've only been an intern for 4 months so I really don't know yet. I know I want to specialize also because I'm sure I dont want to do primary care or hospitalist. That I already know. I'm being very honest- anyones honest advice is welcomed and thanked in advance :)

Last edited:
I have a follow up question to this! I'm currently a DO in an ACGME residency. I took both comlex and usmle 1 & 2 (didn't do so great on step 2)
Do I need to take USMLE step 3 to be competitive for fellowship. I'm taking comlex 3 at the end of my intern year, but I really don't want to sit for another exam and pay again all this money unless I really really have to..
My concern is whether not taking USMLE 3 could in any way shape or form hurt my chances at a good broad differential of fellowship programs. I know taking USMLE definitely helped me for residency. I'm currently interested in Heme/Onc vs Cardiology vs PCCM, but I've only been an intern for 4 months so I really don't know yet. I know I want to specialize also because I'm sure I dont want to do primary care or hospitalist. That I already know. I'm being very honest- anyones honest advice is welcomed and thanked in advance :)
A good score on Step 3 might help you, a mediocre/bad score will definitely hurt you. As long as your COMLEX scores are good, I wouldn't worry about it much. Most programs that give serious consideration to DOs will look at all your scores.

A good score on Step 3 might help you, a mediocre/bad score will definitely hurt you. As long as your COMLEX scores are good, I wouldn't worry about it much. Most programs that give serious consideration to DOs will look at all your scores.
Thank you! :)