filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, i don't really know where i should address this question, but i'm entering as a freshman in ust who studied overseas with an american passport, both parents fully filipino though. passed the entrance exam, easy enough, but the thing that i am worried about is the things i have to turn in to the dean. I have applied for filipino citizenship and got it, but does that mean i still have to go through the rest of the foreign student requirements such as turning in an affidavit of support, the ACR, credentials to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs, etc? Oh and I also want to know their status on the tuition fee, will i be treated as a foreign for that purpose? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

For all foreigners, esp Fil-Ams, who have been accepted into UST (or any other Filipino Med-School): What was your overall GPA, Bio GPA, NMAT score, volunteer work, misc application boosters, etc etc? Please list them along with your country of origin.

Because I have a lousy GPA and was wondering what kind of shot I have to making it to the PI. Thanks in advance!

jfelisario,

Only your chosen school can answer those questions. Schools have different polices. So ask your registrar specific questions, and you might want to ask for the current policies in writing. And ask them how future changes in those policies will affect you.

Why would you want to enter under a US passport and subject yourself to all the visa hassles?

It sounds like you already have a shiny new green Filipino passport. So enter the country as a Pinoy and skip all the ACR/I-Card/student visa/visa renewal/annual report/exit visa hassles. Your school may still treat you as a foreigner for tuition purposes, but immigration will treat you as a Pinoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all foreigners, esp Fil-Ams, who have been accepted into UST (or any other Filipino Med-School): What was your overall GPA, Bio GPA, NMAT score, volunteer work, misc application boosters, etc etc? Please list them along with your country of origin.

Because I have a lousy GPA and was wondering what kind of shot I have to making it to the PI. Thanks in advance!
It depends on the school. If you're a Fil-Am, most schools will just look at your NMAT. In UST, they say that a score of 65 will be safe for a Fil-Am. Due to the dwindling med school applicants there, some schools will take you as long as you have a pulse and have the money:laugh: The problem will be surviving med school as you will learn that it is HARD just to graduate.

cool forum. :)

i'm also thinking of entering medical school--preferably st.like's because most of the other good schools are closed and it's near my place. It's pretty new and of course-you have one of the leading hospitals in the PI to back you up. :) Does anyone have a rough idea on how much the tuition is?

I'm an american citizen, but i did high school and college here. Do I still have to pay the donation? From scanning the threads, some schools call it non-resident fees. But in my case, most of the admission officers call it the alien fee--i have an i-card. Do you think st.luke's will ask for some kind of fee?

My dad has VA benefits.. and i've been hearing about chapter 35 benefits for dependents.. Anybody in the same boat? I'm not earning income at the moment but I want to get into med school as early as possible and back to the states. Do you think I can convince admission officers to forgo the fee because i think chapter 35 gives out roughly $600/mo. Just enough for tuition and books.

any info will be highly appreciated. thanks!

ps--learned a lot from here. Thanks!!

congratulations to the newly licensed physicians, especially to the Thomasians Batch 2005. PBL does not suck. hehe! :)

we wish that you will pursue medicine until the very end.

pls pray that our batch (2006) wil also do the same (or even better) when we take the boards on August. hehe!

hello... i just want to ask if anybody here knows when will ust post its list of those who got accepted in their med school?

hello... i just want to ask if anybody here knows when will ust post its list of those who got accepted in their med school?[/quote

i think it will be out the first week of March, someone told me that the UST will be posting their list of accepted applicant on Monday Feb 26, 2007 but im not sure... Im anxious by the way :confused:

Hey guys, what do PBL and IMG stand for and mean?

what do they mean when they say that the UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery Exam Results are out? Is this like an exam for admissions in the UST-FMS? As far as I know, UST doesnt have a shortened Med program like that of UP INTARMED or that of La Salle. Its in the USTExchange forum that I came accross about it. Could anyone care to elaborate?

What are the chances of a UP Nursing Student with good credentials (with competencies in child delivery and surgical assistance) and a 1.96 GWA, 84 NMAT percentile rank being able to enter UST Medicine? Please, the wait for the results is driving me nuts... please reply. Thanks.

hey guys =), I am a Fil-Am as well. I have been following this thread since I found this forum. I'm currently taking up dentistry in the philippines and i will be graduating in about 2 years. However, Im planning of proceeding to taking up Medicine. I want to know if the dmd degee is still valid for Philippine Medical Schools? Is anyone else taking this route? I would really appreciate it.

DOCTOR WILSON,
feb 26???
today is feb 26!! but i havent heard any news yet....

Members don't see this ad :)
DOCTOR WILSON,
feb 26???
today is feb 26!! but i havent heard any news yet....

Hi... I just went to UST this morning but the admissions said that they won't be releasing the list until February 28, 2007 thats a Wednesday... I'm also anxious about the results... We asked last Friday they said that it will be out today but we have to wait til Wednesday... :scared:

what do they mean when they say that the UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery Exam Results are out? Is this like an exam for admissions in the UST-FMS? As far as I know, UST doesnt have a shortened Med program like that of UP INTARMED or that of La Salle. Its in the USTExchange forum that I came accross about it. Could anyone care to elaborate?

What are the chances of a UP Nursing Student with good credentials (with competencies in child delivery and surgical assistance) and a 1.96 GWA, 84 NMAT percentile rank being able to enter UST Medicine? Please, the wait for the results is driving me nuts... please reply. Thanks.

yeah, you're right. there's no entrance exam at the ust faculty of medicine and surgery. although a few years before there had been.

as far as your credential is considered, you can be accepted at ust although it won't matter for them if you have competencies in child delivery and surgical assistance, hehehe. that's because at the beginning of the school year, you're all on the same pedestal. but at least you have that as an edge during your third year, i think. :D

As far as I know, UST doesnt have a shortened Med program like that of UP INTARMED or that of La Salle.

UST DOES also have a shortened program. it's called BIO ACCED, a 3-year pre-med program. :)

The first 150 accepted applicants for UST Med are out!!! Good luck people

to UST FMS Class 2007 - good luck & God bless on your oral revalida. hope your batch will have a minimum number of mortalities.

pray well. :)

The first 150 accepted applicants for UST Med are out!!! Good luck people

The first set of 150 were out. Just noticed it on my way out. I talked to the head guy for the admission earlier. He was accidently there when i asked if that was the final list. He talked to me and said the next two days the next two set of 150 will be posted. So roughly 450 people will be accepted to this year's batch (class of 2011). The wait list will be posted the next day after he said. So good luck on all of ya'll who are trying to get in. And god bless.

One of the other filams talked to someone in the admission committee..this year the number of enrolls were down again. That's why they stop doing the interviews and looked at grades only/nmat. Supposively they said 1 in 3 this year will be accepted..for those that apply to UST.

Also talked to a filam who was applying this year earlier this week. He asking about how ust was and what not. He told me Fatima med will not have a seperate class for the filams like previous years. This year's incoming batch will be with the rest of the class..like other schools. So keep that in mind when applying.

About future classes...when talking to the admission guy. (please don't pm me..i don't know the guy i just happen to be there. and he was nice enough to talk to me.)

I asked about the cutoffs of 85...for the upcoming batch 2011, it was still in the 65 cut off still. But they will discuss it for next year's batch (batch 2012). I asked if they would require additional classes for the batch for 2012. They said that they won't add additonal class even though Atteno Med has a strictr class requirement. Only the NMATs being raised will be topic for change this year. (also for those who don't know..batch means when u are projected to graduate..class of 2011 is this year's class)

Oh yeah reminds me.. for those looking to get a new computer when they come here next year. Get a mac. This year there was a crazy virus problem in UST for computers. Either get a very good antivirus program. But be warned i had three antivirus programs and the viruses are new here or something cause they went through and destroyed my computer. I got Mcafree and it crashed my comp. I later got norton and it crashed it also. I got bitdeffender now. which is rated one...it sees the virus but it won't kill it. So this year when i go back home for the break...i'm going to get a macbook since everyone who has mac have escaped the virus problem in ust. Most have 6 virus in their drive at least if not more when i scan to try to get information, but now i don't get them anymore. AVG and other programs can only see some of them. So at least your warned.

Gl to the rest of ya'll get in. Congrats to the UST Class of 2006. I'm not sure but i heard you were ranked 2 in the boards overall based on schools.

Does anyone know the credibility of PLM-College of Medicine as a medical institution? Thanks.:)

cool forum. :)

i'm also thinking of entering medical school--preferably st.like's because most of the other good schools are closed and it's near my place. It's pretty new and of course-you have one of the leading hospitals in the PI to back you up. :) Does anyone have a rough idea on how much the tuition is?

I'm an american citizen, but i did high school and college here. Do I still have to pay the donation? From scanning the threads, some schools call it non-resident fees. But in my case, most of the admission officers call it the alien fee--i have an i-card. Do you think st.luke's will ask for some kind of fee?

My dad has VA benefits.. and i've been hearing about chapter 35 benefits for dependents.. Anybody in the same boat? I'm not earning income at the moment but I want to get into med school as early as possible and back to the states. Do you think I can convince admission officers to forgo the fee because i think chapter 35 gives out roughly $600/mo. Just enough for tuition and books.

any info will be highly appreciated. thanks!

ps--learned a lot from here. Thanks!!

the tuition for st luke's is about P80000-P90000. (that would be P49=$1). honestly, i really wanted to study there. then they called me, my classmates and a bunch of other people from up, lasalle and ateneo to convince us to study med there. while having our lunch, we met with alumni now studying at st luke's and informed us that they were being treated as guinea pigs; st luke's is very serious in being the number med school by 2010 so they're trying everything, changing stuff when necessary just so they could make it to the top. it must not be that bad but come to think of it, i do not want to be a 'guinea pig.'

just sharing. but i think st luke's is still a good school. i already had my interview there (it was a surprise intervies. haha.). the environment's really good.

Does anyone know the credibility of PLM-College of Medicine as a medical institution? Thanks.:)

hi there. :)

PLM is also a reputable med school. not a lot of people know about that. PPLM is 3rd in last year's board exam. UP, CIM then PLM. i applied at PLM and really hoping to get accepted there. the tuition fee there is lower than in UP (because UP has issues now about tuition fee increase).

but if you plan to apply, i must warn you about really bad facilities. if people here are saying that UP's facilities suck, they havent seen plm. i've seen alumni friends who are now studying at PLM going back to UP to do stuff. i really thought it was funny.

personally, i thought PLM does great in board exams because majority of their students came from UP. oh there you go with the UP arrogance. :D im kidding. PLM accepts only the best students who apparently got rejected by UP-PGH. still deserving but not given the chance.

i hope you consider PLM. i will take MCAT next sunday! (PLM requires taking MCAT).

(i talk too much)

im not from PLM, but i can vouch for the quality of medical education and training of the institution. :thumbup:

Hi!!! I was able to qualify for school year 2007-2008 in UST Medicine (yey!:D ), would anybody know if there are any available scholarships for freshmen students, be it from inside UST or sponsored scholarships? Thanks for your help... God bless...Ü

Any fil ams going to UST?

i just found out i got accepted for ust med!

It's a selective school as the admits are city gov't (Manila) scholars. They are required to serve a few years after graduation. I don't think they accept foreigners. If not for their bad facilities, I would choose them next to UP (if you are a local).

how did you find out if you've been accepted or not? I'm a filam that applied to ust, too.

Oh yeah reminds me.. for those looking to get a new computer when they come here next year. Get a mac. This year there was a crazy virus problem in UST for computers. Either get a very good antivirus program. But be warned i had three antivirus programs and the viruses are new here or something cause they went through and destroyed my computer. I got Mcafree and it crashed my comp. I later got norton and it crashed it also.

I recommend Linux over Mac. Linux will run on PC hardware and doesnt require you to buy into the apple propriatory rip-off game.

Congrats to those who are accepted to the UST Faculty of Medicine & Surgery. hope you all do well on your studies and graduate as Thomasian doctors.

Congrats to the students accepted to UST. If you're a Fil-Am, you're gonna have to get someone to check that list for you and let you know if you're accepted, since they don't send any sort of acceptance letter out. One of my friends actually found out through this thread that she got accepted last year. So anyway, best of luck!

Somebody should take a pic of the posted list with their cell phone cam and post it here for all the wondering applicants.

Is there any kind hearted individual there na pwede mag post ng list ng names ng UST FMS passers? Pagpapalaain ng Lord ang gumawa... Thanks.

hi there. :)

PLM is also a reputable med school. not a lot of people know about that. PPLM is 3rd in last year's board exam. UP, CIM then PLM. i applied at PLM and really hoping to get accepted there. the tuition fee there is lower than in UP (because UP has issues now about tuition fee increase).

but if you plan to apply, i must warn you about really bad facilities. if people here are saying that UP's facilities suck, they havent seen plm. i've seen alumni friends who are now studying at PLM going back to UP to do stuff. i really thought it was funny.

personally, i thought PLM does great in board exams because majority of their students came from UP. oh there you go with the UP arrogance. :D im kidding. PLM accepts only the best students who apparently got rejected by UP-PGH. still deserving but not given the chance.

i hope you consider PLM. i will take MCAT next sunday! (PLM requires taking MCAT).

(i talk too much)

I will also be taking my MCAT on Sunday (March11). They say it's pretty hard compared to NMAT because pharmacy and psychology subjects were added as part of the whole day exam.

It's a selective school as the admits are city gov't (Manila) scholars. They are required to serve a few years after graduation. I don't think they accept foreigners. If not for their bad facilities, I would choose them next to UP (if you are a local).

How many years are the students required to serve after graduation? Thanks. :)

I'm an American (born in the U.S.) that goes to an allopathic (M.D.) medical school here in the United States, and being the only student in my class of 165 of Filipino descent, it was nice running into 2 attendings (staff physicians) who were Filipino and graduated from the Philippines. One graduated from UST (a neurologist) and the other from St. Louis University, Baguio (physiatrist). Both were humble, yet extremely brilliant, in the sense that they could explain very difficult concepts in a clear coherant manner, and are well-respected by my classmates and residents (who are 95% American). It made me proud to be of Filipino descent.

There's a lot of debate and talk about which school is more prestigious, more arrogant, etc. I think regardless what medical school you go to (whether it's in the Philppines, U.S., or anywhere else in the world), it is your innate intelligence, hard work, your non-quenchable thirst for knowledge, and your sincere compassion for your patients that will take you places, not just the name of your school. And this is coming from someone who graduated with honors at an ivy league school.

How many years are the students required to serve after graduation? Thanks. :)
I think about 2-4 years (I forgot what an alumnus told me a few years ago). But I think you can include residency as part of your service if it is with an affiliated hospital.

Does anyone know when UST Med starts school this coming June? I'm graduating in May and heading back May 16. I wanna know how long of a break I have. Thanks!!

If you're an incoming first year, if the process is the same as last year's, you have to come and have a physical exam done before you enroll. I think I heard that classes start on June 13.

I'm an American (born in the U.S.) that goes to an allopathic (M.D.) medical school here in the United States, and being the only student in my class of 165 of Filipino descent, it was nice running into 2 attendings (staff physicians) who were Filipino and graduated from the Philippines. One graduated from UST (a neurologist) and the other from St. Louis University, Baguio (physiatrist). Both were humble, yet extremely brilliant, in the sense that they could explain very difficult concepts in a clear coherant manner, and are well-respected by my classmates and residents (who are 95% American). It made me proud to be of Filipino descent.

There's a lot of debate and talk about which school is more prestigious, more arrogant, etc. I think regardless what medical school you go to (whether it's in the Philppines, U.S., or anywhere else in the world), it is your innate intelligence, hard work, your non-quenchable thirst for knowledge, and your sincere compassion for your patients that will take you places, not just the name of your school. And this is coming from someone who graduated with honors at an ivy league school.

thanks for the inspiration! :)

Does anyone know when UST Med starts school this coming June? I'm graduating in May and heading back May 16. I wanna know how long of a break I have. Thanks!!

freshmen start enrolling may 15. I think it's done based on your last name. But like u have to do a physical exam and fill out paper of course. Since your filam..roughly u just tell them when your coming..email the school to be sure. But i remember some of the filams coming in late...i did mine when i came here.

June 13 is when they roughly will start class.. there is suppose to be holiday or something on june12. but like since you'll be having your pinning ceremony (which basically means your getting your name tag..it's for the parents really). Then you'll have like a tour of the school. During the tour you'll be roughly with your submates..since they do it by last name. so these will be the peeps you'll see roughly for a long ass time. But the first day of school is nice for the first year.

Congrats for those gettin in.

For the names..they posted roughly 350 people total. No additional list was post nor has the wait list been posted. They haven't post anything new besides you telling people to pay like money (i think P25k to hold your spot or show your intentions) and filling out forms/completing any missing documents...I don't think this applies to filams though..mainly the rest...since you'll be giving them $10k roughly anyhoo (dunno if they are changing that).

I will also be taking my MCAT on Sunday (March11). They say it's pretty hard compared to NMAT because pharmacy and psychology subjects were added as part of the whole day exam.

i'll also be taking the mcat this sunday. i was told thatthe first batch of examinees are their priorities..basic pharmacology is included but its very minimal..i was adviced to review physics and social sciences..
hope i cud make it or i'll be seeing you at st.louise on june..:D

i'll also be taking the mcat this sunday. i was told that the first batch of examinees are their priorities..basic pharmacology is included but its very minimal..i was adviced to review physics and social sciences..
hope i cud make it or i'll be seeing you at st.louise on june..:D

The first batch is their priority? Is this really true? By the way, the first batch of examinees is about 142 students. :oops:

See you on sunday! (if i will sense you, haha :laugh:)

I got into UST. Currently seeking advice on the subjects that one needs to focus on. Mahirap ba ang registration? It seems maraming nag uunahan for the slot. Congrats uli sa akin.

Sa mga seniors ng Medicine, mahirap ba para sa isang taga UP ang mag adapt sa UST FMS?

Kanino maaring makakuha ng mga dating modules sa anatomy and physiology?

Ano ano po ang subject na kinuha sa first year at ano ang mga subject na may pinaka malaking mortality? Sino po ang mga teachers dito at kung maari ay makapagbigay kayo ng profiles ng mga terror professors?

Salamat

I got into UST. Currently seeking advice on the subjects that one needs to focus on. Mahirap ba ang registration? It seems maraming nag uunahan for the slot. Congrats uli sa akin.

Sa mga seniors ng Medicine, mahirap ba para sa isang taga UP ang mag adapt sa UST FMS?

Kanino maaring makakuha ng mga dating modules sa anatomy and physiology?

Ano ano po ang subject na kinuha sa first year at ano ang mga subject na may pinaka malaking mortality? Sino po ang mga teachers dito at kung maari ay makapagbigay kayo ng profiles ng mga terror professors?

Salamat

hey, i think you're already registered at the ustexchange forum. i've seen the same account there. for some background or infos for first year, check the forum tips for incoming first year. you'll learn a lot there. many incoming first year last year including me have asked for advice and the seniors gladly answered us in that forum.

registration is so easy. first you just have to pay 25K for the reservation of your slot which will be deducted from your first sem payment during your enrolment. (this is non-refundable so be sure you'll be enrolling at ust). next, they will schedule you for physical examination. and the enrolment will be on may.

i have many classmates who came from UP and they're doing well. i think you'll just have to adapt with the new life in med -- sleepless nights, tons of reading materials, almost zero social life... but you'll get over it.

modules, maybe you can borrow from your former schoolmates if you know anyone who went to ust-fms.

but just a bit of preliminary advice, enjoy this summer while you still can. have the time of your life (seriously speaking). once you start med school, it will be different.

and if i'm not mistaken, there'll be some modifications on the subjects next school year. the subjects we had this school year were anatomy (gross anatomy, embryology and clinical anatomy), physiology, biochemistry, histology, neuroanatomy, preventive medicine, bioethics, and psychiatry. the hardest would be biochemistry i think, hehehe, although physiology could be the most demanding.

actually, there are not that much terror teachers. your teachers are all doctors, and in general, they are nice and approachable. hehe, they say the terrorist (teachers) will be encountered in pharmacology during the second year. good luck to the incoming second years (<-- that includes me).

good luck! :D

by the way, a new additional list of admitted applicants has been just posted thursday. if anyone has not been on the first two list, check the additional one at the dean's office.

will also try to answer some of your questions:

Mahirap ba ang registration? It seems maraming nag uunahan for the slot. Congrats uli sa akin.
Unlike in UP na per-subject ang enrollment(college). All subjects are enrolled as one. You can finish registration etc... including the payment in less than 3 hours.

sa mga taga UP na nakilala ko, some are not used to wearing uniforms. UP students in general are adapting well to the curriculum, same goes for those from ADMU.

ang mga subject na may pinaka malaking mortality?
Graduate na ako but i remember:

1. Physiology was the most demanding of all first year subjects. You eat, drink, sleep with a physiology book and still fail the quizzes.

2. Anatomy was the most clueless as they got their exam questions from outer space or probably even from another universe.

3. Neuroanatomy was the most difficult to understand. I never realized i had such a complex brain. My complex brain couldn't understand it.

4. Sino po ang mga teachers dito at kung maari ay makapagbigay kayo ng profiles ng mga terror professors?
No such thing as a terror prof. Medyo strict lang. They expect you to behave like a professional (after all graduate ka na ng college). One prof reprimanded 2 students for not standing up during a class prayer. Regardless of your belief, you are expected to stand in due respect for the religion of others. (both were catholics btw). You will be expected to do your school work/assignments and reports.

You will be expected to know your lessons and have studied for them in ADVANCE before the lecture. (we had pre-lecture examinations back then, dunno if its still being done).

anyway, medschool is fun. Just don't get burned out before clerkship.
matagal na ako graduate, may 3 years na. Lots of changes since then. Pero ganun pa rin, expect to triple or quadruple your studying habits from what you are used to.
There will be times you will force yourself to sacrifice studying for a subject just to pass another.

You will however expect less time studying as you go higher up. Mas mahirap ang first year sakin compare sa second year med.

goodluck

hello! congratulations to everyone who's graduating! (especially UPCM Class 2007... ;) )

Congrats to the UST Class of 2006. I'm not sure but i heard you were ranked 2 in the boards overall based on schools.

huh? i'm part of Class of 2006 and we are not yet allowed by APMC (assoc of phil med colleges) to take the local boards since we are still having our post-graduate internship (which will end on april 30).

maybe you're referring to Class 2005..

huh? i'm part of Class of 2006 and we are not yet allowed by APMC (assoc of phil med colleges) to take the local boards since we are still having our post-graduate internship (which will end on april 30).

maybe you're referring to Class 2005..

i heard it's possible to take the basic sciences examination after second year but i haven't met anyone who's done this yet. would be ballsy and pretty interesting if anyone ever did.

Hello to all... I'd just like to add a testimonial in behalf of ASMPH.

I'm a graduate of ADMU BS BIO '06, and have long since wanted to become a doctor. Before ADMU, I wanted to study in the US, if not for the cost, considering Johns Hopkins as my 1st choice. I eventually completed my undergrad here in the Phils. But from the beginning, i guess my vision has been the same - that is, to work here in the Philippines in service of the poor (and my nation). Eventually, i believe it's vision (end goal) and motivation that will help one choose his/her school. What's yours?

I know for a fact that many of my peers chose to delay a year of studies for ASMPH because the vision of this institution is congruent with much of their goals. Many of us graduated with honors and obtained NMAT scores well above 90 (i got 99+). Last SY, a couple were accepted in UPCM, and all were accepted in other schools they applied to with scholarships offered, some full. Many are not exactly well-off, yet they chose to wait to enter ASMPH. Point here is that we know we're not making a stupid decision; we simply knew what we wanted. Yes, even those who cannot afford a relatively high tuition (comparable to UST) looked for ways to pursue this direction. They looked for sponsors and scholarships, effortfully.

What makes us so sure? We're not. But we have enough reason to trust and believe that this was worth the step backward in order to make a good leap forward. The plan for this institution was conceived over a decade ago, 1994 to be precise. Much discernment was done. Much study and planning was done as well. ASMPH eventually distinguishes itself as dually offering a masters degree in management, quite similar to Harvard Med, only because there's a need for it in the Philippines right now - doctors more equipped to respond to calls of service beyond the clinic/hospital, maybe as an NGO health-worker or even in direct service of the country with the government (DOH). For many, who really want to become doctors to be of service to the poor... especially in the Philippines (where so many doctors, urban and more so rural, have already left)... I think such a program gearing towards a vision is enough to make that first consideration to wait for ASMPH.

Of course at the end of it, we ourselves asked whether something as a whole new program might really work. We have in fact tried to scrutinize and question the authorities and administration, and with all transparency, they did not hesitate to inform us of the delays/problems and progresses. To put it simply, we knew what was going on. We knew that the curriculum has been already largely completed, with that up to the second year finalized. We knew there were problems with the land initially that led to delays in construction, and they openly discussed the options available, with the final decision to shuttle us back and forth between Rockwell and Ortigas.

Despite some failures, we also have reason to trust that the Jesuits and the Ateneo will provide the best for the students' sake, as well as for the preservation of the school's name. Meanwhile, many of us aspiring students (though uncertain if we will be accepted) are collectively doing our part to make the school a success, bringing to the fore ideals and concrete ideas we hope for the school, even before the school year has begun. Eventually, the students have to be equally responsible for themselves as much as they'd want and expect the administration/authorities to spoon feed them.

I think at the end of it all, we have to ask ourselves what we think would work best for us, and what will best help form us the way we'd want ourselves to be. It is only then that we can start working towards those goals, starting by working towards getting into the institution you deem fit and in line with your vision.

Some clarifications for those uncertain:
1) The ASMPH dual degree program takes five (5) years, INCLUDING internship. Unlike other medschools however, the M.D. is given only after internship, that it may be given together with the masters degree upon graduation.
2) ASMPH's main hospital is Medical City, but it is also affiliated with public hospitals such as Quirino Memorial Medical Center and some others I can't recall. Students will be exposed to clinic conditions as early as the first year. They'll be rotating the students between the different hospitals.

As an aside, i think in time, demand for doctors in the Philippines will increase (hopefully), such that salaries will also be increased, and more would decide to stay here than leave for other countries ("first world"). Few qualified doctors are left in very rural places in the Philippines. I heard that some hospitals have X-ray machines, but have to send the X-rays all the way to PGH/Manila just to be interpreted by a radiologist. You get the point.

God bless you all!