Finally...first interview almost 5 months after getting licensed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012PharmDgrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally...after nearly six months since graduation and applying for hundreds of positions in my state, a CVS district pharmacist called me to schedule an interview. My interview is on Wednesday afternoon in my home state. At first, he asked if I could meet him in his office on Monday, but I explained that I was currently in another state visiting a sick relative and politely requested he postpone the interview until Wednesday. He conceded and offered to interview me by phone instead, but I insisted and stated I would appreciate a standard interview.

I will book a flight back to my state tonight and leave on Tuesday morning. I must admit my job search has been incredibly arduous and depressing. I have lost 15-20 pounds in the last four months (licensed in July) because of severe worry and anxiety. I applied to hundreds of positions all throughout my state and had not heard a single word until now. Each time I applied for a position, I made sure to submit a CV instead of a resume. I would call HR for follow up purposes and would be directed to voice mail; I'd leave a message with my contact information and no one would bother calling me. No courtesy calls, no follow up, nothing at all.

I admit I made my life a living hell by my unwillingness to move to a rural location. Born and raised in the capital of the world, I have been a city boy my entire life. Currently, I live in another major metropolitan area rich in night life, water sports, and is a major tourist destination in the US. I love the urban feel in this part of the state and is what I am used to. Besides, in my job search, I never limited myself to employment opportunities in major cities. I applied all over the state and still heard nothing.

My interview with CVS with be conducted in my city for a position down there. Honestly, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I am very excited to finally hear something and be granted the opportunity to interview in my location of choice. On the other, I am a little apprehensive considering I don't have much experience at all. I was surprised CVS called me, especially for a position in a super-saturated market. Why would they choose to interview a non-experienced person such as myself?

Here's something I find odd: I contacted a recruiter by email and sent her my CV on Tuesday morning and specifically asked her if there were any vacant positions at CVS in the entire state. She got back to me and said no and asked me if I had experience other than my P4 rotations and a pharmacy technician job I had at Duane Reade pharmacy in 2008. I made a foolish mistake of not working during school because I was very comfortable and wanted my weekends and other time off for myself. Therefore, I have minimal experience other than rotations and the job at Duane Reade almost five years ago.

I asked the district manager/pharmacist how he obtained my CV and he told me a recruiter sent it to him. Isn't it unusual the DM would want to interview a non-experienced grad? Perhaps, I am talking myself out of things, but I'm just suspicious. He granted my request to postpone the interview until Wednesday and seemed so laid back. Clearly, he has read over my CV and must realize I have nothing but a set of rotations, a Pharm.D., license, and a pulse. I was on the phone for less than five minutes with him before he told me he wanted to meet with me. Oddly, I did not get any details of the job. I was afraid of asking the specifics such as exact location, schedule, etc. and deemed it more appropriate to ask after receiving an offer. I am flying down there and leaving my relatives up here and going to this interview blindly. Should I have any reason to be suspicious or just enjoy the fact that I may get what I wanted and stay in my desired location?

I may be naive at 26 because I have minimal work experience and have had a lot handed to me. For the aforementioned reasons, I am flabbergasted to say the least. The market is super-saturated in my area of the state and they want to interview me? Why? What ulterior motive does the company have? I guarantee there is no lack of better qualified, experienced graduates. Hmmm...makes me wonder. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. In terms of interview preparation, I am not that worried because this forum is rich in information about the interview process and general expectations.

I welcome any and all comments and insights. Thank you.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Nice to hear from u again Jonathan, does that mean you'll be picking up your phone now? OOsha and I were wondering where you were. Best of luck with the interview.

Mich

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to hear from u again Jonathan, does that mean you'll be picking up your phone now? OOsha and I were wondering where you were. Best of luck with the interview.

Mich

Who? You must be mistaken.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your struggle. It's not easy and it will be harder for future classes. Go to the interview with an open mind. What do you have to lose?

In my area pharmacists are quitting left and right, but they aren't hiring anybody! They are just stretching the workers as thin as possible to avoid another hire. It's really silly because our customers are losing trust because they see a new face every time they come in the door. Hire some solid people who need work and the numbers will start looking better!

It sounds like you are second guessing yourself way too much! If retail is what you want to do (or if you are just looking for whatever job in your state) go and rock the interview. You need to start getting experience as a pharmacist sometime, right?

This is not some sort of harrowing story that just shows the death of the pharmacy profession.

You are a young guy, with little to no real world experience outside of school. This will be your first job, so get out there and get some experience. I would bet that if you are a valuable employee, after your first 5 years you will find that your job search will be much easier.

This is not some sort of harrowing story that just shows the death of the pharmacy profession.

You are a young guy, with little to no real world experience outside of school. This will be your first job, so get out there and get some experience. I would bet that if you are a valuable employee, after your first 5 years you will find that your job search will be much easier.

What a minute, are you even a pharmacy student? Your posts indicate you are still interviewing. 5 years from now, it will even be harder to land a position. New grads will continue to flood the market and will work for less pay, less benefits.

What a minute, are you even a pharmacy student? Your posts indicate you are still interviewing. 5 years from now, it will even be harder to land a position. New grads will continue to flood the market and will work for less pay, less benefits.

I have been accepted to a pharmacy school, and I start my P1 year next August.

I am predicting your next comment which will be something along the lines of - you have no idea what you are talking about then because you are not in the market looking for a job as a pharmacist.

I have worked in upper level management for a retail corporation, which has on site pharmacies, since 1998. I have been involved in hiring for several years and all I can say is we are always hiring pharmacists. I must be living on a different planet than you guys or something because all I see are constant openings around me all the time.

When I graduate, I know exactly where I am working. Unless some sort of cataclysmic event happens or something.. And - I just flat out disagree about how the increase of graduates is flooding the market. In fact, I think that this point of view is just plain silly.

I have been accepted to a pharmacy school, and I start my P1 year next August.

I am predicting your next comment which will be something along the lines of - you have no idea what you are talking about then because you are not in the market looking for a job as a pharmacist.

I have worked in upper level management for a retail corporation, which has on site pharmacies, since 1998. I have been involved in hiring for several years and all I can say is we are always hiring pharmacists. I must be living on a different planet than you guys or something because all I see are constant openings around me all the time.

When I graduate, I know exactly where I am working. Unless some sort of cataclysmic event happens or something..

I don't really care if you are a pharmacy student or not but until you start school in 2013, you are not a pharmacy student. Your status says you are when obviously you are not. So, shouldn't we take your "experience" with a grain of salt?

I don't really care if you are a pharmacy student or not but until you start school in 2013, you are not a pharmacy student. Just be yourself.

Are you talking about the thing under my avatar? Would it bother you more if I changed it to "pharmacist"?

Are you talking about the thing under my avatar? Would it bother you more if I changed it to "pharmacist"?

No, change it to CEO of walgreens

Members don't see this ad :)
No, change it to CEO of walgreens

Well anyway - I changed my status the day that I received an acceptance letter from my school of choice. I was excited and perhaps somewhat overly enthusiastic.

I have earned everything I have gained, and I have had nothing handed to me. I will choose to represent myself in the way that I feel like accurately shows who I am. I am an accepted pharmacy student with a seat reserved for next year. I have completed my pre-pharmacy curriculum successfully and have put that phase behind me.

You can be a buzz kill to whoever you want, but it won't work on me. I have a positive outlook for the future, and I believe that the pharmD is a great degree to have which will open the door for job stability and opportunity. I have seen it, and experienced it, which is why I decided to go back to school at the age of 30 to obtain a pharmD (Well one of the reasons at least, of course - I want to help people, change the world, and all that stuff too).

All I was trying to communicate to the OP was to get some experience under his belt, and then the sky is the limit. That is all.

Last edited:
"I must be mistaken"????? - Just for that I hope u get a store that does 800 scripts a day.

"I must be mistaken"???- oh and with a drive thru that doesn't stop. In say little Havanna on Calle Ocho- with constant *uking consultations with dumb questions like " how are these the same or where can I find medications for hemroids. I must be mistaken? U dum* a**.

Me thinks Pojman is a troll.

Even if s/he isn't, nobody knows what the future holds. Good heavens, if someone had told me a year ago that I would retire 3 months later, I'd have told them they were nuts, among other things.

Me thinks Pojman is a troll.

Even if s/he isn't, nobody knows what the future holds. Good heavens, if someone had told me a year ago that I would retire 3 months later, I'd have told them they were nuts, among other things.

No... I'm serious. I believe that the pharmD is a great option for anyone who is seeking better opportunity. I can not wait until I graduate and start as a pharmacist.

In fact - I am so enthused about it, I might just change my status to pharmacist to see how it feels. (now that was a slight troll, but I am mostly just joking.)

When I graduate, I know exactly where I am working. Unless some sort of cataclysmic event happens or something.. And - I just flat out disagree about how the increase of graduates is flooding the market. In fact, I think that this point of view is just plain silly.

So that company already OFFER/GUARANTEE/PROMISED you a pharmacist position when you graduate 5 years from now?

I guess if that is the case you are VERY LUCKY. If someone PROMISED/GUARANTEE ME a position before I became a pharmacy student then I would NOT worry about the job market either.

You just got lucky that someone made you a promise to hand you a job. Yes, you don't have to worry....

But everyone else have to...as of right now there are about 30+ applicants per pharmacist position. MUCH MORE in saturated areas. Chances of landing a job is very slim. If you are in that position you would be worried too...

And this is right now...5 years from now it will be MUCH worst. It gets worst every year. I feel sorry for people graduating in a few years I really do.

So that company already OFFER/GUARANTEE/PROMISED you a pharmacist position when you graduate 5 years from now?

No - I have not been promised or guaranteed anything. I have just worked for the same company since I was a teenager, and during that time I have made a lot of contacts. I have a lot of people that I can rely on, and a lot of people that can rely on me.

I am fortunate to have the support of my peers, and part of this support is being excited for me when I graduate. I know that my network will pay off when I graduate. I will likely work for the same company for my entire life. (sweet extra benefits)

This is the benefit of having work experience, which is the advice that I offered to the OP.

I guess if that is the case you are VERY LUCKY. If someone PROMISED/GUARANTEE ME a position before I became a pharmacy student then I would NOT worry about the job market either.

You just got lucky that someone made you a promise to hand you a job. Yes, you don't have to worry....

But everyone else have to...as of right now there are about 30+ applicants per pharmacist position. MUCH MORE in saturated areas. Chances of landing a job is very slim. If you are in that position you would be worried too...

And this is right now...5 years from now it will be MUCH worst. It gets worst every year. I feel sorry for people graduating in a few years I really do.

Look - I understand that there is competition out there. And the economy is America is tough for everyone, not just pharmD's.

All I know is, before I went back to school, I was hustling for 55 hours a week for a meager 50k a year. And the work was not easy at all. I had to bust my hump bigtime to earn that paycheck. And the sad part was, 50k a year was more than most of my peers were making and we all have families to take care of.

Over the course of my employment, I have gotten to know so many people that (for whatever reason) did not have the same opportunities as those of us who are more fortunate like a lot of us here on SDN, including myself. Many of these people have worked on a cash register for 10 dollars an hour for their entire life because it was the best opportunity that they could afford for themselves.

When we graduate, we will be competing for jobs that have a six figure salary and in many cases carry less than 40 hours a week. Let's take step back and appreciate the fact that we have had such a great opportunity. The jobs will be out there.

This is the benefit of having work experience, which is the advice that I offered to the OP.

I agree with this

If you were a GREAT pharmacy technician for Retail Chain X or hospital Y for 5 or 10 years etc. It will be much easier for you to get a job with them after you graduate.

*note I said GREAT*

Look - I understand that there is competition out there. And the economy is America is tough for everyone, not just pharmD's.

All I know is, before I went back to school, I was hustling for 55 hours a week for a meager 50k a year. And the work was not easy at all. I had to bust my hump bigtime to earn that paycheck. And the sad part was, 50k a year was more than most of my peers were making and we all have families to take care of.

Over the course of my employment, I have gotten to know so many people that (for whatever reason) did not have the same opportunities as those of us who are more fortunate like a lot of us here on SDN, including myself. Many of these people have worked on a cash register for 10 dollars an hour for their entire life because it was the best opportunity that they could afford for themselves.

When we graduate, we will be competing for jobs that have a six figure salary and in many cases carry less than 40 hours a week. Let's take step back and appreciate the fact that we have had such a great opportunity. The jobs will be out there.

Ended up sneaking in here because my usual haunts were not satisfying my need to procrastinate so I checked out the new posts lists :)

Anyways... We have a very similar version of what you are doing in the pre-med forums. For medicine, the job market competition and level of saturation is externally restricted through seats and residency spots which means finding A job isnt typically as difficult as it can be with other healthcare fields. However, the kicker is matching a residency, and more specifically in the specialty of choice. We have pre-meds daily who, within the variability of things that factor into "matchability" like to err on the side of extreme optimism at every turn. Your "just get some experience and you're golden" is our "just smash the boards and it is all downhill from there". If it were just that easy, well..... :shrug:

Optimism is by no means a bad thing, but realism is probably more useful. It is easy to get swept up in the feeling that the world is opening up in front of you right after you get your acceptance letter, but claiming relative ease the rest of the way down the road to your ultimate professional goals will only be doing a disservice to yourself and those who believe it. I think you are forgetting that the job market is as subject to supply and demand as everything else is. You may find yourself "busting your hump for a meager 50k" again while you try to land a job. You may also find yourself settling for a job (or a couple before you find something more permanent) significantly less than 6 figures while you get experience. There are stories of freshly graduated residents singing contracts for ~100k, so I assume the same is happening in all corners of healthcare. I would bet that what you can expect to make for the bulk of your career and what you will likely make for the first ~10 years may be drastically different.

At one of my interviews the dean spoke about how there is currently a contraction in the demand for pharmacists right now and they would be accepting fewer students this year to accommodate. He was brutally honest and told us that the profession was stagnant and he wasn't sure what the future held; his presentation was more about how you should be in pharmacy for the love of it, not for what you had heard about the pay/benefits pharmacists received in the golden years.

No - I have not been promised or guaranteed anything. I have just worked for the same company since I was a teenager, and during that time I have made a lot of contacts. I have a lot of people that I can rely on, and a lot of people that can rely on me.

I am fortunate to have the support of my peers, and part of this support is being excited for me when I graduate. I know that my network will pay off when I graduate. I will likely work for the same company for my entire life. (sweet extra benefits)

Just a word of caution - 4-5 years is a long time for a major corporation, and lots of people may have retired, transferred to another department/division/location, promoted, downsize, etc. New people come in to replace the old. Your network connections that you have now might not be there in 4-5 years, especially if you are not actively maintaining that connection. However, it sounds like you are in a better position than most entering pharmacy students, ... and in today's competitive (and capitalistic) market, you have to use every advantage you have to your advantage.

In addition to the question - will there be jobs in 4-5 years (there will always be jobs - people will leave pharmacy for various reasons - retirements, deaths, job dissatisfaction, etc) - but will the number of jobs keep pace with the demand for jobs by new graduates. Also, will there be downward pressure on FTE pharmacist income as supply outstrips demand (and as operating margins get smaller due to decrease in 3rd party reimbursements but increases in expenses) or will income stagnate and not keep up with inflation. One thing that is almost a guarantee is that college tuition plus require fees will continue to go up (which employers won't care since it is not their expense and doesn't affect them).

Well, the interview is over. I sat for about an hour and the manager told me I interviewed very well and that he like my attitude and desire to learn and work. He told me he will call me before the day is over to let me know of the decision. What do you guys think? His compliment seemed genuine and he appeared to be interested, but is that just fluff? Perhaps, he tells everyone they did well. I've heard of cases in which employees are not hired even if they managed to do well during the interview. It's 5 pm here and the interview ended about two hours ago. I'm dying to know, for good or worse, what will the final outcome be! The manager is fully aware of my lack of experience, but still appeared contemplative. He told me CVS is a good company to work for and nothing will stop you from being where you want to be if you work hard. Should I consider a possible rejection simply a "blessing in disguise"? :scared:

good luck to you! hope you will hear some good news

Thanks, BMBiology. Unfortunately, it is now 9 pm and I did not hear back from the district manager. I think that settles it- they didn't hire me. If I am told someone will call me back at the end of the day, I expect a phone call, whether the news is good or bad. Following up is considered professional. I'm just a little upset. Employers demand and feel entitled to "professionalism", but when it comes to follow up and keeping their word, they don't do squat. I may be wrong- for all I know, the manager couldn't get back to me today, but will follow up with me tomorrow; however, I believe this is highly unlikely. As I said, my interview ended at 3 pm. The pharmacy where the interview was conducted closes at 9 pm. I hate to be lied to and told that I interviewed very well and that he liked my attitude and demeanor. It's not as if I even tried fishing for feedback. Oh well, whatever. Perhaps, as I said in a previous post, not getting hired at CVS is a blessing in disguise.

you gain experience at every interview; it will help you

Thanks, BMBiology. Unfortunately, it is now 9 pm and I did not hear back from the district manager. I think that settles it- they didn't hire me. If I am told someone will call me back at the end of the day, I expect a phone call, whether the news is good or bad. Following up is considered professional. I'm just a little upset. Employers demand and feel entitled to "professionalism", but when it comes to follow up and keeping their word, they don't do squat. I may be wrong- for all I know, the manager couldn't get back to me today, but will follow up with me tomorrow; however, I believe this is highly unlikely. As I said, my interview ended at 3 pm. The pharmacy where the interview was conducted closes at 9 pm. I hate to be lied to and told that I interviewed very well and that he liked my attitude and demeanor. It's not as if I even tried fishing for feedback. Oh well, whatever. Perhaps, as I said in a previous post, not getting hired at CVS is a blessing in disguise.

You hit the nail on the head. The DM expects anything she implements to be done immediately without question, but when you need something done, they simply never follow through. I would just give it a couple days and check in with the DM to see if he didn't have time to call or already filled the position.

I hope they just didn't get a chance to call you and you will hear good news tomorrow. I agree it's very rude not to call when they say they will. My husband dealt with that a lot in his last job search.

Well actually I think it has always been a call = GOOD news you got hired and a NO response = BAD news we found someone else.

People don't usually call to say NO. It's usually call to say YES. No response IS your answer. lol

If the answer is NO. People just don't respond which is pretty damn obvious in my opinion.

I am a bit surprised that the DM would promise to get back to you on the interview result in the same day. I've never been interviewed by a company that was so efficient. Are you sure you did not hear him wrong due to confusion from your nervousness? You probably should not give up your hope so early. Meanwhile, keep your job hunting going, mate!

Don't worry, they still might call. But, it's better not to think they will call, cause you'll feel down if they don't. It sounds silly, but yeah, take the interview as a learning experience. Keep your head up. And don't give up. You will get a job.

Brightlight, I am 100% sure I heard him correctly the first time- I'll call you back by the end of today. Not tomorrow, in a few days, or next week. Here's the interesting part: I interviewed for about 35 minutes and then he handed me an employment application to fill out. Considering he manages almost twenty CVS pharmacies in the district and his time is valuable, why in the hell would he want to waste his time having me fill out an employment form? Perhaps, I am over-analyzing his every move, but if I were a district manager not interested in an applicant, I wouldn't waste 35 minutes to interview AND then ask the job seeker to fill out the application. Completing the application took me almost 20 minutes because of ongoing conversation we were having about the company and some informal conversation about where he went to school, etc.

I did some research online about signs of a good interview and I definitely saw these signs. Number one: The interview was lengthy. As I said, I wasn't there for 20 minutes. One hour is quite a while. Number two: The interviewer asked questions indicating he might be interested in hiring me; one of those questions was "When can you start?" and "What hours would you like?" I explained I could start Monday or any day next week, as I am moving back to my home state and needed a few days. I also told him I was flexible with hours and that I would work based on availability. Number three may be irrelevant, but even his handshake was firm at the end of the interview. According to research, a firm handshake at the end of an interview is indicative of being strongly considered and counts as a "See you soon, welcome" whereas a dead fish handshake is equivalent to stating "Nice to meet you, but please go".

We'll see what happens. I'm guessing signs don't always mean anything and that it truly is unpredictable to determine the final outcome of an interview in advance. The only fool-proof method of knowing anything is if you are offered the job on the spot.

Last edited:
Don't worry so much yet. Maybe he did plan to contact you, but something unexpected just came up. Maybe he got into a car accident or something.

Maybe something came up and he got busy.. I'm sure you'll be ok if you give it a day or two.

Status update: I happened to receive a call unexpectedly from an unknown number about two hours ago, and to my surprise, it was another CVS DM who offered me an interview. Initially, I explained I just had an interview with CVS yesterday and that the DM failed to call me back. Her exact response was: "Ohhh..". I told her who I interviewed with and she said she would follow up with him herself. Nothing happened at that point and that was the end of the call.

Ten minutes later, I decided to call up the DM I interviewed with yesterday and politely requested an update on my status and/or if any hiring decisions had been made. He explained he was still in the process of interviewing a few other applicants and that the final batch of applicants would be interviewed on Monday. He told me to expect a call from him that day with a decision. I said "Ok, thank you, have a good day" and didn't believe him.

At this point, I felt somewhat relieved that I am still in the running considering a decision has still not been made. However, I decided to take hold of my alternative, and called the other DM from a different district. I explained to her that I followed up myself with the manager who had interviewed me yesterday and that he had not made a decision just yet. I asked her if I could still take her up on the interview offer and she agreed. She gave me all the details and is going to meet me on- you guessed it- Monday, the very day I'm supposed to hear back from the other DM.

So, where does this put me? It appears to be that I have serendipitously found myself a possible backup job/alternative with the same company. I am feeling a little better as I see that my chances are improving. Should both managers hire me in their respective districts, I will have the luxury of choosing the one that offers me a better schedule, perhaps a better store, and more convenient hours.

Status update: I happened to receive a call unexpectedly from an unknown number about two hours ago, and to my surprise, it was another CVS DM who offered me an interview. Initially, I explained I just had an interview with CVS yesterday and that the DM failed to call me back. Her exact response was: "Ohhh..". I told her who I interviewed with and she said she would follow up with him herself. Nothing happened at that point and that was the end of the call.

Ten minutes later, I decided to call up the DM I interviewed with yesterday and politely requested an update on my status and/or if any hiring decisions had been made. He explained he was still in the process of interviewing a few other applicants and that the final batch of applicants would be interviewed on Monday. He told me to expect a call from him that day with a decision. I said "Ok, thank you, have a good day" and didn't believe him.

At this point, I felt somewhat relieved that I am still in the running considering a decision has still not been made. However, I decided to take hold of my alternative, and called the other DM from a different district. I explained to her that I followed up myself with the manager who had interviewed me yesterday and that he had not made a decision just yet. I asked her if I could still take her up on the interview offer and she agreed. She gave me all the details and is going to meet me on- you guessed it- Monday, the very day I'm supposed to hear back from the other DM.

So, where does this put me? It appears to be that I have serendipitously found myself a possible backup job/alternative with the same company. I am feeling a little better as I see that my chances are improving. Should both managers hire me in their respective districts, I will have the luxury of choosing the one that offers me a better schedule, perhaps a better store, and more convenient hours.

You made the right choice. Keep interviewing until you are offered a position.

:thumbup: Way to take matters into your own hands and not wait around for the other DM to make their decision. I hope all works out for you.

I didn't read your entire post but I am very shock that it is so hard to get a job with CVS. A few of my classmates already got offers from CVS. I figure they would be the easiest company to get a job from....

You mentioned that you are unwilling to relocate? I am guessing you live in Manhattan?

I can see it being near impossible to land a job in Manhattan since it's a very desireable place....

Have you consider relocating? I don't mean far but just a little bit outside of Manhattan maybe?

Good luck with your interviews!!!!! I have an interview tomorrow with Target...I am nervous about that myself.

I didn't read your entire post but I am very shock that it is so hard to get a job with CVS. A few of my classmates already got offers from CVS. I figure they would be the easiest company to get a job from....

You mentioned that you are unwilling to relocate? I am guessing you live in Manhattan?

I can see it being near impossible to land a job in Manhattan since it's a very desireable place....

Have you consider relocating? I don't mean far but just a little bit outside of Manhattan maybe?

Good luck with your interviews!!!!! I have an interview tomorrow with Target...I am nervous about that myself.

SHC, where else are you interviewing? whats your top company right now?

SHC, where else are you interviewing? whats your top company right now?

SO far I only contacted Costco and Target.

Costco is being mean and won't interveiw anyone right now.

Only Target so far.

Only retail hire pharmacist before they get licensed...Hospitals, manage cared, nuclear etc. only hire AFTER you get licensed...so there is no point in me looking at these right now since I am still in school and not even graduated yet.

SHC, no, I don't live in Manhattan. I was born and raised in NY, but I have been living in FL for nearly eleven years now (since the age of 15). I currently live in Miami, Florida (i.e. party city....think of south beach, palm trees, blue skies year round, and lovely weather most of the year). I know Sparda currently lives in NY and no offense to either him or anyone else, but you guys can keep the entire island of Manhattan to yourselves if you please.

I don't find anything desirable about NYC. Why should I? State taxes are a killer up there and will wipe away your paycheck. And then what? People happen to think it's great up there because of shopping and night life? LOL...see how much it costs to get into a club up there or buy a drink at a bar. Everything costs an arm and a leg. People feel it's the most exciting city in the US? Why? Because of materialism? You better be wealthy up there because that's exactly what you NEED to be if you want to live a glamorous lifestyle up there. That's right- $100k, 200k, or even 300k won't afford you the lifestyle you or anyone else imagines in NY. You want to know the reality of NY? In addition to the state taxes, the city is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Most of the architecture is at least a few hundred years old and the city is gloomy. Concrete meets the eye everywhere and rats infest the subways.

Do you like to see trash piled up on the streets? I hope not- because that's exactly what you find in NYC. SHC, stop watching "Sex and the City" or some other nonsense program on tv, it is not in tune with reality. These are just a few tidbits of information about NYC. But then again, I guess everyone has different tastes. I'm sure Sparda has his reasons for preferring NYC and I respect them. I just hope to instill the idea in you that NYC is not necessarily desirable for everyone, especially current or former New Yorkers such as myself. Most people who believe the hype are from out-of-state and are nothing more than tourists. Live there for a year and see your $100k whittle away to nothing.

But anyway, yes, it's been a rough ride for me. As I stated in my very first post, I made the mistake of not working while I was in school. I decided to focus on my studies and use my time off for recreation and personal leisure. I figured I had the rest of my life to work and when I started, the market was still flourishing. Everything began to change after the completion of my P1 year in 2009 and quickly morphed into a saturated market. South Florida is a VERY desirable location to many people, myself included and I have done everything I can to stay here. I am not a P4 like you. I graduated in May and got licensed in August. You and your friends may find it easier to obtain a position with CVS or any other retailer simply because you did the right thing and worked during school. I have paid a heavy price on "my personal time and recreation while in school". Then again, I don't fully regret it because I did enjoy myself while in school and I'll never have the same opportunities again once I start working. As I said earlier, I have a second interview with another district in my city on Monday and I suspect my chances of getting hired are now much higher.

And you are right, I have been unwilling to relocate. Keep in mind, however, as I stated in my first post, I have applied all over the state of FL, including rural locations, and still haven't heard a damn thing. However, do you really think I have any interest in moving to Ft. Myers, FL, Cape Coral, FL, Niceville, FL, Arcadia, FL, and a bunch of middle-of-nowhere locations? I will answer that question with a resounding NO!

I admit- I am an only child and spoiled and I understand I am not entitled to a job in my location of choice or any job at all. Fortunately, I have a very supportive family that has willingly supported me in my cause and provided for me financially until I am able to land a job in my location of choice. I could NEVER pay them back for everything they've done. They understand how depressed and miserable I would be anywhere other than my current location and I feel very blessed to have such a generous family. But I've been willing to go to the ends of the earth and deal with much misery and worry in the last few months in the name of finding a job in my dream location. And as I told a friend of mine once: "No one will remove me from my throne". I would have to be on the verge of homelessness and on a heavy dose of antidepressants to survive a move to a small town in the middle of no where.

When there’s a will, there’s a way. Never compromise and give up on your dreams. Be cutthroat and never succumb to peer-pressure. I have had acquaintances and friends tell me to move out of the state as if that is somehow some type of guarantee I will find a job right away. But I don’t listen. I will persevere and will prove all my doubters wrong.

All you guys who posted, I thank you for your encouragement and support.

I would do anything to get a job in Florida, even in those cities like Fort Meyers that you mentioned. In fact, I would do anything just to be back on the east coast with my family and friends.

SHC, no, I don't live in Manhattan. I was born and raised in NY, but I have been living in FL for nearly eleven years now (since the age of 15). I currently live in Miami, Florida (i.e. party city....think of south beach, palm trees, blue skies year round, and lovely weather most of the year). I know Sparda currently lives in NY and no offense to either him or anyone else, but you guys can keep the entire island of Manhattan to yourselves if you please.

I don't find anything desirable about NYC. Why should I? State taxes are a killer up there and will wipe away your paycheck. And then what? People happen to think it's great up there because of shopping and night life? LOL...see how much it costs to get into a club up there or buy a drink at a bar. Everything costs an arm and a leg. People feel it's the most exciting city in the US? Why? Because of materialism? You better be wealthy up there because that's exactly what you NEED to be if you want to live a glamorous lifestyle up there. That's right- $100k, 200k, or even 300k won't afford you the lifestyle you or anyone else imagines in NY. You want to know the reality of NY? In addition to the state taxes, the city is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Most of the architecture is at least a few hundred years old and the city is gloomy. Concrete meets the eye everywhere and rats infest the subways.

Do you like to see trash piled up on the streets? I hope not- because that's exactly what you find in NYC. SHC, stop watching "Sex and the City" or some other nonsense program on tv, it is not in tune with reality. These are just a few tidbits of information about NYC. But then again, I guess everyone has different tastes. I'm sure Sparda has his reasons for preferring NYC and I respect them. I just hope to instill the idea in you that NYC is not necessarily desirable for everyone, especially current or former New Yorkers such as myself. Most people who believe the hype are from out-of-state and are nothing more than tourists. Live there for a year and see your $100k whittle away to nothing.

But anyway, yes, it's been a rough ride for me. As I stated in my very first post, I made the mistake of not working while I was in school. I decided to focus on my studies and use my time off for recreation and personal leisure. I figured I had the rest of my life to work and when I started, the market was still flourishing. Everything began to change after the completion of my P1 year in 2009 and quickly morphed into a saturated market. South Florida is a VERY desirable location to many people, myself included and I have done everything I can to stay here. I am not a P4 like you. I graduated in May and got licensed in August. You and your friends may find it easier to obtain a position with CVS or any other retailer simply because you did the right thing and worked during school. I have paid a heavy price on "my personal time and recreation while in school". Then again, I don't fully regret it because I did enjoy myself while in school and I'll never have the same opportunities again once I start working. As I said earlier, I have a second interview with another district in my city on Monday and I suspect my chances of getting hired are now much higher.

And you are right, I have been unwilling to relocate. Keep in mind, however, as I stated in my first post, I have applied all over the state of FL, including rural locations, and still haven't heard a damn thing. However, do you really think I have any interest in moving to Ft. Myers, FL, Cape Coral, FL, Niceville, FL, Arcadia, FL, and a bunch of middle-of-nowhere locations? I will answer that question with a resounding NO!

I admit- I am an only child and spoiled and I understand I am not entitled to a job in my location of choice or any job at all. Fortunately, I have a very supportive family that has willingly supported me in my cause and provided for me financially until I am able to land a job in my location of choice. I could NEVER pay them back for everything they've done. They understand how depressed and miserable I would be anywhere other than my current location and I feel very blessed to have such a generous family. But I've been willing to go to the ends of the earth and deal with much misery and worry in the last few months in the name of finding a job in my dream location. And as I told a friend of mine once: "No one will remove me from my throne". I would have to be on the verge of homelessness and on a heavy dose of antidepressants to survive a move to a small town in the middle of no where.

When there's a will, there's a way. Never compromise and give up on your dreams. Be cutthroat and never succumb to peer-pressure. I have had acquaintances and friends tell me to move out of the state as if that is somehow some type of guarantee I will find a job right away. But I don't listen. I will persevere and will prove all my doubters wrong.

All you guys who posted, I thank you for your encouragement and support.

Props for sticking to your guns , dude ! You'll get where you want to go, with some perseverance. Its nice seeing someone who is not afraid to wait and take what they want in spite of everyone telling them its not probable to succeed !

Hold in there. Every day is one day closer to being hired!

Fort Myers is actually a pretty nice place to live. The average age skews markedly older than Miami for sure, but I can only think of that as a positive thing for the pharmacy profession :). Have you been to Fort Myers or any of these other cities you mentioned? You're entitled to prefer living wherever you want, but I caution you to not dismiss other cities as "small town" and "middle-of-nowhere" when they definitely aren't. Just a thought.

They have a beautiful beach there, went there for vacation once. I dont know what its like to live there, but cant be so bad for such a lovely place.