Financial Aid packages from FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prema

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which AuD programs offer the best financial aid packages without having to apply for special scholarships etc. So far I checked out one AuD program that I was admitted to and they said Aud students are not given Financial aid, only undergraduates are. The said they only give loans. Is this true for all AuD programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question- I'm wondering the same thing. It seems like that's the case. I don't get why almost all Ph.D. programs are fully funded with a stipend and this is not. I applied to 4 AuD programs and 1 PhD, and I'm leaning toward doing a Ph.D. program if I get in, because they pay your full tuition and give you a stipend for living expenses!

Major difference between Au.D and Ph.D in terms why one gets funded and the other doesn't, is due to the fact that the research is being conducted for the school and you apply for grants for the school in order to conduct the research. I believe that Syracuse funds for 1 year, but most Au.D programs don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just Fafsa. Also some universities have departmental scholarships. I know that the University of Tennessee has some various departmental scholarships that are awarded at the beginning of second and third year. There is no out side application for these.

Other programs might have something like that.

Hope this helps

Has anyone gotten any financial aid/scholarship/assistantship information along with their acceptance letters? I find it odd that of my 3, 2 of them didn't even mention anything about it and one said that I'd get something else in the mail at some point if I qualified for an award. Has that been the case for everyone? I was hoping these letters would be like undergrad acceptance packages that had scholarship information and everything with them!

I was hoping these letters would be like undergrad acceptance packages that had scholarship information and everything with them!

you're in the big leagues now

you're in the big leagues now

haha I know. I just keep looking at thegradcafe and seeing how many of the PhD applicants to various programs get accepted along with a funding package, and wish they could do the same for us! I'm thinking about going the PhD route just so I don't have to take on any more loans!

I am not certain why they didn't sent you a full package. That's something I would've asked about before I applied. There's a list of scholarships, funding info, etc available in their department offices and some are even online to check out, if that's important to you.

I had a friend who was recently accepted to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and he received two scholarship offers in his packet. I haven't heard from other students if they got same.

He was admitted to UNC or given an offer for an interview? UNC just had their final interviews on Monday the 28th and I know they are going to be mailing or emailing there decision sometime in the next week or two. I find it highly unlikely they reached a decision on their final choices in a little over 48 hours after finishing interviews. However UNC did give information regarding training grants in their email to interview and that is more likely what he was talking about.

As far as financial aid is concerned it is not uncommon for there to be no decision on your first contact with the department. Many departments still have to finalize budgets and they cannot or will not reveal funding decisions until they know how much money they will have for the next year. If you get funding it is very possible that you will hear about it in the coming weeks after they have finalized there budget.

He was admitted to UNC or given an offer for an interview? UNC just had their final interviews on Monday the 28th and I know they are going to be mailing or emailing there decision sometime in the next week or two. I find it highly unlikely they reached a decision on their final choices in a little over 48 hours after finishing interviews. However UNC did give information regarding training grants in their email to interview and that is more likely what he was talking about.

As far as financial aid is concerned it is not uncommon for there to be no decision on your first contact with the department. Many departments still have to finalize budgets and they cannot or will not reveal funding decisions until they know how much money they will have for the next year. If you get funding it is very possible that you will hear about it in the coming weeks after they have finalized there budget.

Good point, I talked to the director of the UMass program and she said most of their funding comes from research grants, which are in limbo right now since they have applied for a bunch but no funding is guaranteed. The Northwestern acceptance letter said that those who qualified for their scholarships would be notified by mail in the coming weeks. It's hard to be patient about these things when money is such a huge part of the decision, and one school wants a response in 2 weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an acceptable way to ask about funding decisions? It seems kind of odd to email the dept. about it and ask in a very point blank way. The one school I've been accepted to doesn't have very good information on total cost of attendance for the AuD program. Many states are raising tuition for next year because of the economy- some as much as 20%, so I don't really want to commit until I've seen the 2011-12 figures.

He was admitted to UNC or given an offer for an interview?

Admitted. Of course, I didn't ask him for proof. Are you currently a student at UNC? You should provided a lot of information about the decision-making process and budgets info. ;)

Although, I do remember he said he applied to both the SLP Master's program and AuD program. I was too busy to ask him to specify.

I'm not a student but I just interviewed there which is how I got all of the information. He applied there for the SLP master's then because I saw on Grad Cafe that the admission decisions regarding the SLP program have been given but I knew that there was no way that AuD decisions had been made which is why I was skeptical.

I'm not a student but I just interviewed there which is how I got all of the information. He applied there for the SLP master's then

Yes, I just ran into him on campus and he said got in for SLP, and nothing was heard from the AuD admissions committee.

How did your interview go, if you don't mind me asking?

I will let you know after I hear back about my admission status.

Has anyone gotten any financial aid/scholarship/assistantship information along with their acceptance letters? I find it odd that of my 3, 2 of them didn't even mention anything about it and one said that I'd get something else in the mail at some point if I qualified for an award. Has that been the case for everyone? I was hoping these letters would be like undergrad acceptance packages that had scholarship information and everything with them!

The best offer I received(a phone call) was a full year scholarship for the first year ($12,000) and in-state-tuition fee (almost 50%) for the next three following years. Second best one was(mail) 25% off the tuition for all four years, with an assurance that tuition will not increase/decrease within those four years. However, some of the schools told me straight up that they do not offer ANY financial aid and that they only offer limited assistantship based on academic scores. Anyhow, as some people said earlier, I'm sure most of them are still in the process of figuring stuff out.

Last edited:
The best offer I received(a phone call) was a full year scholarship for the first year ($12,000) and in-state-tuition fee (almost 50%) for the next three following years. Second best one was(mail) 25% off the tuition for all four years, with an assurance that tuition will not increase/decrease within those four years. However, some of the schools told me straight up that they do not offer ANY financial aid and that they only offer limited assistantship based on academic scores. Anyhow, as some people said earlier, I'm sure most of them are still in the process of figuring stuff out.

Did you have to apply for any of the offers you've received? ....or are they automatically granted based upon your credentials?

From what I've gathered, I only need to submit FAFSA forms, correct?

Did you have to apply for any of the offers you've received? ....or are they automatically granted based upon your credentials?

From what I've gathered, I only need to submit FAFSA forms, correct?

Hi, the first offer was based on my credentials, but the second one I believe, is granted to everyone who gets admitted to that school. So, at this point, I'd say FAFSA is the only thing you need to submit for now. The deadline was 3/1 I think? Hopefully you've already submitted it! :)

if you want to work with kids, several schools including vanderbilt, gallaudet, and i think arizona state have had training grants from the federal government that provide tuition and/or stipend for students who commit to working in pediatrics when they finish. that said, i don't know if this money will still be available given the financial times.

a reason why people get the admissions and the financial packages separately is because they might come from different departments. the acceptance might come from the audiology department but the scholarship might have to go through the financial aid office, even if it's money that the department is granting you. i was just speaking to a staff member at my school and she told me that's how it is for us.

i got an acceptance from a school that gave me 2 weeks to decide and with no offer of financial assistance. i emailed the director of the AuD program to ask them if they offered financial assistance, and she responded back offering me an assistantship through email. i don't know if i still would have been offered it if i hadn't asked. remember that schools are trying to fill a certain number of seats, and if they accepted you, they want you to attend. they know they have to be competitive, and universities everywhere are trying to increase enrollment.

also like many people have said, departments may not know if they have the money to give to students. the year i applied to gallaudet, they didn't find out if they were going to get the federal grant until may. so i had to make a decision that was a gamble.

i got an acceptance from a school that gave me 2 weeks to decide and with no offer of financial assistance. i emailed the director of the AuD program to ask them if they offered financial assistance, and she responded back offering me an assistantship through email. i don't know if i still would have been offered it if i hadn't asked. remember that schools are trying to fill a certain number of seats, and if they accepted you, they want you to attend. they know they have to be competitive, and universities everywhere are trying to increase enrollment.

also like many people have said, departments may not know if they have the money to give to students. the year i applied to gallaudet, they didn't find out if they were going to get the federal grant until may. so i had to make a decision that was a gamble.

@cidanu: That was such valuable insight, so thanks! :)
Once you get accepted to more than one school, I believe the next step would be to really look into what kind of financial package each school offers. (whether it be a scholarship, or tuition reduction, etc) Some said that financial awards are offered at the time when you receive your admission but others have mentioned how it comes AFTER you officially make the decision to accept the admission. It really does sound like a gamble, especially when you're juggling with an in-state tuition vs. out-of-state with some financial assistance, or high ranking school w/o any financial support vs. low ranking school w/a sizable scholarship.

when it came to the schools i was really interested in i had to call and ask about financial aid. i was told that i'd be hearing in the next few weeks, when nothing ever came, and it became closer to the decision deadline i actually called and told them how financial aid was a huge concern and would way heavily on a my decision. a day or 2 later i recieved a phone call offereing me a scholariship. so it all depends on the school but it doesn't hurt to let them know that you're extremely interested in their program, but that the financial aspect is difficult.