Finding a research lab position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So its looking like I may not get in this cycle, and I was considering a research lab position at the in-state school I'm most interested for 1-2 years before I reapply. However, my research advisor who I spent 1.5 years with in college told me she couldn't write me "a strong letter of recommendation" (see my previous posts if more interested in that). I was wondering how difficult it would be to find a research lab position without a recommendation from someone.

Members don't see this ad.

So its looking like I may not get in this cycle, and I was considering a research lab position at the in-state school I'm most interested for 1-2 years before I reapply. However, my research advisor who I spent 1.5 years with in college told me she couldn't write me "a strong letter of recommendation" (see my previous posts if more interested in that). I was wondering how difficult it would be to find a research lab position without a recommendation from someone.
I have faith that you will get some more IIs cav. That being said do you think it is research that is holding your application back or some other Ec?
Just applying for positions should be able to get you into grunt level work. You may not find it interesting .

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I feel like you should definitely receive more IIs later this cycle, especially from your state schools. But working on plan B isn't a bad idea either. A lot of research tech positions don't require a letter of recommendation to apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have faith that you will get some more IIs cav. That being said do you think it is research that is holding your application back or some other Ec?
Just applying for positions should be able to get you into grunt level work. You may not find it interesting .

Thanks man - just trying to come up with a plan B just incase.

I do have research experience (independent research project for 3 semesters with a presentation at a national conference) but my research advisor was really preoccupied with other personal/academic concerns at the time and wasn't heavily involved with my work so I didn't get a letter of recommendation from her - do you think missing this LOR could be what's holding me back?

Thanks man - just trying to come up with a plan B just incase.

I do have research experience (independent research project for 3 semesters with a presentation at a national conference) but my research advisor was really preoccupied with other personal/academic concerns at the time and wasn't heavily involved with my work so I didn't get a letter of recommendation from her - do you think missing this LOR could be what's holding me back?
No. What about clinical stuff? What do your ecs look like besides research.

Cavs I would focus on finding a position that interests you and that will be productive (potentially a publication if work for 1.5 years??). It does not have to be at a target school. Also try to get a strong letter from PI (although I do not think that is a make or break, just helps). Go Cavs, Go Tribe.... Tuesday is going to be awesome

Reactions: 1 user
No. What about clinical stuff? What do your ecs look like besides research.

- received a grant to work in an outpatient cardiology clinic for 3 months during summer of 2013 (along with shadowing a ton of cardio surgeries during that time) (500 hours)
- was selected by college faculty to participate in a clinical rotation program (basically shadowing different specialties) for 4 weeks in spring of 2014 (180 hours)
- worked as a full-time scribe in the ER and a family practice clinic the past year (1000+ hours)
- peer tutoring for three years on campus, some local elementary school volunteer work (150 hours)
- worked as the lead volunteer coordinator for my local red cross chapter the past year (200 hours)
- varsity soccer player for 2 years, then quit and created a club soccer team on campus to free up time for other things the other two years

- received a grant to work in an outpatient cardiology clinic for 3 months during summer of 2013 (along with shadowing a ton of cardio surgeries during that time) (500 hours)
- was selected by college faculty to participate in a clinical rotation program (basically shadowing different specialties) for 4 weeks in spring of 2014 (180 hours)
- worked as a full-time scribe in the ER and a family practice clinic the past year (1000+ hours)
- peer tutoring for three years on campus, some local elementary school volunteer work (150 hours)
- worked as the lead volunteer coordinator for my local red cross chapter the past year (200 hours)
- varsity soccer player for 2 years, then quit and created a club soccer team on campus to free up time for other things the other two years

We have similar ECs except you have more clinical hours and I have more research (I don't have any pubs besides 2 posters and a thesis). You definitely should be hearing back from more schools and for plan B I think you could do anything you want as long as it's productive.

You will hear back. Your app is objectively stronger than mine based on ecs alone. Do what you want to, doesn't have to be medicine related anything you like doing for yourself!

You will hear back. Your app is objectively stronger than mine based on ecs alone. Do what you want to, doesn't have to be medicine related anything you like doing for yourself!

Thanks for the encouragement, I sure hope so

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user