Finding my way back to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxxy

DSP
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

So I am a retired art student haha at 23. So quick story, I did not want to go to college right after HS because I had no clue what I wanted to do. My parents forced me so I decided to major in Fine arts at the local community college. I did all right, had an internship in Disney which made me fall behind resulting in a 3rd year at that 2 year college. However that last year they added a course that I apparently needed to graduate which was a digital portfolio class that I had already completed and Aced but was a Fine art version(my main study.) Up until that point I had never done any digital art other than photography editing in HS. Anywhooooo I hit a rough patch, got offered a management position at the karate school I was teaching at took it and soon found it was out of spite and the sexist owner just needed more control so I quit. However all the time he required for further training basically forced me to drop out of school.

Now I finally know for sure what I want to do but I am lost. I don't know how to really get started or what basics I need to focus on and if I should go to a CC and get my pre reqs done then do a few years at a uni before moving to vet school or what. Anyone who can give me a clear list of things pretty much every school is looking for and what will make me noticed in my APP, would help me extremely. I've been searching through forums all day trying to get a good clue but I'm only seeing snippets of info that actually answers my current questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Now I finally know for sure what I want to do but I am lost. I don't know how to really get started or what basics I need to focus on and if I should go to a CC and get my pre reqs done then do a few years at a uni before moving to vet school or what. Anyone who can give me a clear list of things pretty much every school is looking for and what will make me noticed in my APP, would help me extremely. I've been searching through forums all day trying to get a good clue but I'm only seeing snippets of info that actually answers my current questions.
Go wherever will give you the lowest cost. Most people recommend some prereqs at community college and then transferring to a university for the rest (and some vet schools require certain classes be taken at a 4 year university/college and won't accept certain ones from a community college)
Here's the prereqs list from the AAVMC's website (and their General VMCAS info site) and the new (and still working bugs out) website from VIN, Vet School Bound and their SDN thread introducing it.
The AAVMC prereqs list is not as detailed as the specific vet school websites, so definitely double check things through the individual schools and don't solely rely on the info from these sites.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
not quite yet but I am searching for volunteer opportunities and shadowing opportunities as well

In that case, I'd wait on your class planning (and the costs you will incur) and get that experience first. Once you're sure this is what you want, then get started on the pre-reqs. This forum is a wealth of information on preparing an application. The links SkiOtter provided are a good start. So is the "What Are My Chances?" thread that you can browse to get an idea of common recommendations for improving your application.

Reactions: 2 users
oh yea I understood that and am already looking through the links SkiOtter shared. This has been a dream since I was little and Ive been drawn to this idea all through out my life except for when I my grades seemed to drop in junior high and it tanked my dream. It wasnt till recently that it occured that I could have came back from that. I refuse to miss that chance now.

oh yea I understood that and am already looking through the links SkiOtter shared. This has been a dream since I was little and Ive been drawn to this idea all through out my life except for when I my grades seemed to drop in junior high and it tanked my dream. It wasnt till recently that it occured that I could have came back from that. I refuse to miss that chance now.

I think it's great that you're thinking about it again. However, our understanding of veterinary medicine as children is a far cry from the realities of practicing veterinary medicine. This is why it is so critical to shadow a veterinarian for a decent amount of time: so that your adult mind can better understand what it is we do, but more importantly what it is we go through every day. It seems very romantic and noble from the outside, I'm sure, but there are a lot of negatives to the profession that simple love for animals or childhood intrigue can't alleviate. Not saying you can't be happy as a veterinarian, but I encourage you to really understand the profession before making the commitment, both time-wise and financially.

Reactions: 4 users
I think it's great that you're thinking about it again. However, our understanding of veterinary medicine as children is a far cry from the realities of practicing veterinary medicine. This is why it is so critical to shadow a veterinarian for a decent amount of time: so that your adult mind can better understand what it is we do, but more importantly what it is we go through every day. It seems very romantic and noble from the outside, I'm sure, but there are a lot of negatives to the profession that simple love for animals or childhood intrigue can't alleviate. Not saying you can't be happy as a veterinarian, but I encourage you to really understand the profession before making the commitment, both time-wise and financially.
This. 100%.

Oh I totally get that as well! I have been looking for any opportunity I can get with shadowing and volunteering. I spent the better part of visits to my mom at the shelter she worked at. Not just helping clean kennels or walk the dogs, but no stops were pulled on me when I was young. Ive witnessed bot-fly larva being removed from kittens necks, Ive seen a cat come in in shock because its owner used dog flea shampoo on it and it needed to be euthanized. So it is definitely not a childs typical belief in the "animal doctor". I just finally realized that I am willing to take on the responsibility to really learn and absorb the schooling veterinarian medicine has to offer.