Finish line in sight but ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

REBT Dude

Looking for options
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Wish I had found you all much earlier in my schooling -- graduate school can be so insular!

Anyway, here I was done with everything ... finishing up post-doc, looking forward to coming out from under this bizarre experience we call training and BOOM --

"We regret to inform you that you did not pass the EPPP."

I thought I did everything right.
Returned to the field later in life, but took some foundation courses and got into a good school.
Probably have waited for an APA internship, but took the APPIC position I got through the Clearinghouse in my first application.
Got a great state job after internship, only to lose it in the budget tightening.
Almost immediately got a second job in a large group practice, but the placement was, well, less than wonderful.

But still, I got everything done ... seemed to be looking at a promising future.

Then ... BOOM ... "We regret to inform you ... "

Yes, I studied ... flashcards and computer tests. I didn't do the workshops, but listened to the CDs.

Now my permit expires in 10 days and I'm not exactly in a position to live off my savings for a few months while I prepare for "Take 2."

People think NCLB means high schoolers have have high stakes testing?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

does your state have some license exempt areas of practice with available jobs (e.g., state hospitals)?

Members don't see this ad :)
does your state have some license exempt areas of practice with available jobs (e.g., state hospitals)?

Yeah, but don't know if you've noticed the condition of the economy, virtually every state has a hiring freeze.

I also said in my original message, I had a state job but lost it in an earlier round of budget tightening.

Hence my panic.

Unfortunately it happens. Do you know what area gave you the most trouble? I know the practice tests can give you an idea of what you need to study the most up on.

... but just before taking the exam I was getting 85% or better on all the practice subject tests.

My supervisor told me she FAILED the practice test she took before the real exam, and she passed the first try.

I actually recognized some questions as being word-for-word from my practice exams.

The only true surprise were the five or so questions on APA style rules on non-discriminatory language, which I fielded confidently.

I'm really spun around by this.
I was the person everyone thought would ace the exam!

You have no choice but take the exam again and make sure where you had difficulty. Also, did you become overly anxious about the test? If so,mabey some hypnosis would help. In addition the exam does change a little bit every time therefore, the next one might just be right for you to meet the criteria of your State. Finally, not every State has a freeze on hiring. Some states like Texas are actually in the black. Also, have you check the Indian health service, US Virgine Islands(no license reguirements,I believe),another Post Doc?
PS: was your score acceptable in any other State? You might consider applying there first.:)