First Attending Job Jitters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I am actually on the verge of starting my first job as an attending, I find myself getting nervous about how it will go. What if something I never saw in residency comes up? Did I really read enough during residency? Will I get along with the people at the new job?

Sure, as a senior resident, I did work independently often - but it feels very different when you know that the buck stops with you, doesn't it? Even though in theory I can ask the other docs for advice and input, it's really not up to them to teach me or help me now - it's up to me!

Did any of you feel apprehensive and anxious about starting your first Real Job? Any wisdom or tips that you picked up along the way to adapt to flying solo?

(My job will involve primarily inpatient and some consult work, but I welcome any memories or advice from those of you who work in outpatient as well).

Members don't see this ad.

I think it takes about 10 years to completely loose the inferiority fears new attendings naturally have. After a while, you learn that everywhere you go, there will be people smarter than you, but every one of these pillars of knowledge are not very good at some things. Frankly, brains are a dime a dozen at universities, being able to manage people and get the ducks running in the same direction is a much more desperate need in most places. People will learn to appreciate your talents. Don't worry Peppy, I would rather hire you than a newbie who is devoid of this anxiety. What a piece of work they can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have colleagues and you have us ;)

You will learn on the job btw so don't worry. I started a community outpatient job with zero experience prescribing Clozaril, LAIs or working with a case management team...

Reactions: 1 user
Get a mentor. Find allies where you work that can guide you. This forum could also help. IMHO my first 5 years as an attending I was still learning very new stuff I didn't see as a resident. There'll always be new stuff to see but I'm talking to the degree where a mentor and more experienced physician would be able to direct me in the right direction. It's to the point now where a lot of docs I've seen with more experience than I I'm not exactly finding as more correct but this took years and constant learning to get to this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything old was once new. Remember the process you used for learning. Interview. Read. Discuss. Re-interview.
Rinse. Repeat.

Reactions: 2 users