MD First & Last Post, Odd Application, need some reassurances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneHitWonder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post, and also my last! I've seen a lot of my friends fall into what I like to call the "SDN frenzy." I think that SDN is certainly composed of many, many well spoken and experienced people who can offer sage advice, and I implore those people to read my post and give me their .02 cents. But, I know it's also composed of a lot of high schoolers posing as Medical Students, who'd says outlandish things to unnerve people who are already, well, unnerved.

Anyways, I'm a college senior at a State College in Virginia. I've always wanted to be a neurosurgeon, and for that reason I'm primarily interested in attending an MD school. My stats are subpar, I understand that. By posting this, I'm largely looking for whether or not you all think I'd have a chance at MD admissions. I'm in two minds as to whether I'd like to apply or not.

3.67 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 33 MCAT (11/11/11) on second attempt
B.S. Biology/B.A. Education Dual degree
Strong LOR's
EC's

• 500 + Hrs at ER Dept at my local Hospital
  • Volunteered at Government Apotek, or Clinic, in Bhutan, Summer of 2014
  • Shadowed my GP for 50 Hrs
  • Shadowed my brother's Urologist for 50 Hrs, learned about dialysis & renal disease
  • Helped set up Girl's Empowerment STEM Bootcamps at my University
  • Worked at Physics Camps for incoming students at my University
  • Alternative Break Coordinator, Government in Africa
  • President & Founder of Botany Club
  • Founder of Interfaith Society
  • Sports Columnist for School Newspaper
  • Student Representative for Class of 2015
  • Studied in Bhutan through a State Dept Scholarship in Summer of 2014, lived in University City
  • Senior Judge on Honor Council
  • TA for Mathematics Department
  • Research Assistant for Graduate Data Lab in School Library
  • Resident Advisor for 3 Years
  • Research assistant in Neurogenomics Lab for 2 years
  • Conducted Longitudinal Study on Student Performance as a part of TA Duties, presented at 6 conferences, 1 Publication
  • Summer Research program at USUHS
  • Summer Research Program at University of Virginia School of Medicine, 1 Chemistry Publication
  • During my summer in Bhutan, I research religious devision in various Islands, and presented my findings at an International Conference

Given this information, do you all believe it's worth it for me to seek admission into an MD school in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Similar applicants have historically had a around a 70% chance of admission to at least one school (see stickey on opening page of this forum). How bad was the first MCAT?

Pretty bad. I got a 23 (9/6/8). I was fooling around not in the right mindset, but I studied very hard for my second MCAT and took it about a year later.

Are there any schools you'd recommend where I'd have a good shot? I live in Norfolk and would love to attend EVMS, but I think it's a bit out of my reach.

Edit: Also, thank you for your reply.

Edit x2: Looked at the sticky and while that seems encouraging I feel like the BCMP is a huge red flag on my application. It's the main thing from keeping me from applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do DO's not have access to that specialty? ;)

I think you're in great shape other than the sGPA. They (MD programs) seem to prefer at least a 3.50 sGPA, but you have a good cGPA and EC's so you could get in somewhere for sure. Maybe not the school of your dreams, but you'll get where you want to be!

Last edited:
Also of note is there are ~110 AOA neurosurgery residencies, and many of the seats weren't filled according to the AOA website. Something to consider.

Your EC's paint a very interesting picture of yourself which is a tremendous plus. If neurosurgery is your heart's desire (and your heart has been tempered by your brain that warns of the >80 hour work weeks and concomitant horrible schedule/leisurely life, high patient mortality specialty, and extremely competitive residencies, and everything actually entailed in grueling neurosurgeries themselves), then I think making your concern getting at least a single admission and then crushing steps and coursework would get you there. Given that neurosurgery is among the most competitive, you'll be on a bit of an uphill battle on an already steep slope, but I hear that neurosurgery naturally selects the alpha wolves anyways. Moreover, they say its way to early to judge at this point.

But again, your stats are strong enough to get a look and open the door, and your EC's paint a lovely, and impressive picture that I wouldn't be surprised if they got your foot in the door. The sGPA is the first concern, and if I'm not mistaken, I'm seeing a dearth of outright "humanitarian" volunteering (like a long commitment to some disadvantaged population like at a food clinic or shelter in your community). Your other ECs are diverse, show leadership, cultural sensitivity, and humanism. Good luck!

Also of note is there are ~110 AOA neurosurgery residencies, and many of the seats weren't filled according to the AOA website. Something to consider.
That seems pretty unlikely. The last time I checked there were 10 programs.

Edit x2: Looked at the sticky and while that seems encouraging I feel like the BCMP is a huge red flag on my application. It's the main thing from keeping me from applying.
"Huge red flag" is an exaggeration. The Sgpa is a consideration only. Your first MCAT is actually more alarming!
Perfectionism is a painful personal quality that does not serve one well in this field. One strives for excellence knowing that she is an elusive mistress. With a well thought-out list (get the MSAR), a thoughtful and early application and decent interpersonal skills, you have good odds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Strongly agree with my learned colleague.

"Huge red flag" is an exaggeration. The Sgpa is a consideration only. Your first MCAT is actually more alarming!
Perfectionism is a painful personal quality that does not serve one well in this field. One strives for excellence knowing that she is an elusive mistress. With a well thought-out list (get the MSAR), a thoughtful and early application and decent interpersonal skills, you have good odds.

Hmm…that's interesting. I'd really appreciate it if you could elaborate! Why would the first MCAT be more alarming than the sGPA? Especially when this applicant has improved drastically the second time around? Could you please elaborate on why that is a big red flag?

Hmm…that's interesting. I'd really appreciate it if you could elaborate! Why would the first MCAT be more alarming than the sGPA? Especially when this applicant has improved drastically the second time around? Could you please elaborate on why that is a big red flag?
I said more alarming than a Sgpa of 3.45, not a big red flag . This is because this is a high stakes test. Those who take it ill prepared tend to share some worrisome characteristics (for admissions officers).

Reactions: 1 users
I said more alarming than a Sgpa of 3.45, not a big red flag . This is because this is a high stakes test. Those who take it ill prepared tend to share some worrisome characteristics (for admissions officers).

Oh right sorry! I automatically associated it with a red flag…so is an applicant that scored in the 75th percentile range for the new MCAT (30 equivalence) the first time favored over someone who rushed to take the old MCAT and scored a 27-28, but retook the new one to get a 32 equivalence?

Oh right sorry! I automatically associated it with a red flag…so is an applicant that scored in the 75th percentile range for the new MCAT (30 equivalence) the first time favored over someone who rushed to take the old MCAT and scored a 27-28, but retook the new one to get a 32 equivalence?
Multiple MCAT's are always open to idiosyncratic and therefore unpredictable interpretation.

I had a 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT (one attempt) and ECs that aren't as impressive as yours (but still strong and varied). I also had a few other less than ideal elements on my application.

I got into my top choice (mid-tier MD) in October. Other than the super low first MCAT attempt, your application is very strong. You'll be fine.

I had a 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT (one attempt) and ECs that aren't as impressive as yours (but still strong and varied). I also had a few other less than ideal elements on my application.

I got into my top choice (mid-tier MD) in October. Other than the super low first MCAT attempt, your application is very strong. You'll be fine.
Hey if you don't mind my asking, did you get as many II's as you had wanted?

I'm just going to stop freaking out and hope for the best!

Hey if you don't mind my asking, did you get as many II's as you had wanted?

I'm just going to stop freaking out and hope for the best!

I mean, I applied to both MD and DO schools.

My first II was for my top choice, and the invitation came in August for a September interview. It's also my only MD interview so far...but who cares about the rest?!?

I also got several IIs from DO schools. I turned down all but one, attended that II, and got accepted to that school as well. So 2 IIs (1 MD, 1 DO) and both turned to acceptances.

That seems pretty unlikely. The last time I checked there were 10 programs.

That's what I found from the AOA website. But maybe it's old data...

EDIT: I counted available seats, not number of programs. Sorry for the misunderstanding.