MD FIRST POST Chances: 3.78cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 512 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AK521

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm ORM, Resident of IL, went OOS to a top public state school.

Undergraduate:
Service: 100 hours hospital volunteering, 216 hours mentoring at an elementary school, lots of volunteering through cultural sorority (was community service chair and VP), including 110 hours working with underprivileged children

Research: 600 hours as a research assistant in a neuroscience lab (research submitted for publication, listed as an author), 8 weeks of full-time summer research at University of Chicago Hospitals Cardiology (was in the later part of high school so not sure how much weight this carries)

Gap Year:
-Currently work full-time as a scribe in an ophthalmology office for 8 months, definitely the highlight of my application
-Around 40 hours of shadowing (4 hours in undergrad, the rest in the last several months)
-140 additional hours of hospital volunteering

I have applied to around 30 schools that are in range for my GPA/MCAT such as UIC, Wake Forest, Creighton, Rush, Loyola, Oakland, Rosalind, MCW, etc.

What are my chances? Haven't heard anything yet even though I've submitted most of my apps, is this something to worry? Also, I am most probably going to switch to being a hospital scribe for internal medicine--will this affect my chances or look bad for leaving my other job? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to receive several interviews with your stats. Switching scribe jobs is not a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm ORM, Resident of IL, went OOS to a top public state school.

Undergraduate:
Service: 100 hours hospital volunteering, 216 hours mentoring at an elementary school, lots of volunteering through cultural sorority (was community service chair and VP), including 110 hours working with underprivileged children

Research: 600 hours as a research assistant in a neuroscience lab (research submitted for publication, listed as an author), 8 weeks of full-time summer research at University of Chicago Hospitals Cardiology (was in the later part of high school so not sure how much weight this carries)

Gap Year:
-Currently work full-time as a scribe in an ophthalmology office for 8 months, definitely the highlight of my application
-Around 40 hours of shadowing (4 hours in undergrad, the rest in the last several months)
-140 additional hours of hospital volunteering

I have applied to around 30 schools that are in range for my GPA/MCAT such as UIC, Wake Forest, Creighton, Rush, Loyola, Oakland, Rosalind, MCW, etc.

What are my chances? Haven't heard anything yet even though I've submitted most of my apps, is this something to worry? Also, I am most probably going to switch to being a hospital scribe for internal medicine--will this affect my chances or look bad for leaving my other job? Thanks.
Your're app looks very competitive

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I also completely forgot to mention that I'm a reapplicant. I applied last year because I thought I had a chance, but that cycle I didn't have the scribing, applied later around mid-September because I was waiting for MCAT score, and my school list wasn't that good (applied to a lot of CA schools because my dad lives in CA, too many reach schools, etc.). I didn't get any interviews.

I believe schools can see on AMCAS that I am a reapplicant? I changed my school list so only about 9/30 of the current schools are ones that I actually applied to the previous cycle. I contacted a few schools for feedback last spring and they didn't really say anything bad, just to apply earlier, most liked the scribing, some said the GPA was slightly on the low side. If I get interviews should I mention this if they already know I reapplied? What should I even say about it? @Goro @Faha

Last edited:
BUMP any opinions on how reapplying will change my application for those schools?!