First residency interview invitation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woooo-Hooooo!! Got my first residency interview invitation this past Thursday!! I submitted my applications thru ERAS on sunday evening, got a couple of receipt acknowledgements on Wed and the first invitation on Thursday.

My first one is from Univ of Florida in Gainesville -- a bad @$$ program! Hopefully, this one will be followed by many many more.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats
You have given a lot of good advice to us pre meds, and I am happy for you:)

How do you know UF is bad @!*? Have you done an away rotation there? It seems like all programs are pretty solid on paper, just wonder how they are in "real" life. Congrats and good luck. Did you apply to many programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
P-bo;

An excellent bit of insight there my friend. If you simply go by the pretty brochures and web sites -- every program would be a "top 10"! However, they cannot all be...and it is to your advantage to be skeptical.

Regarding my statement on U of FL being bad-ass...it comes from speaking to many anesthesiologists and residents (I pick their brains at every opportunity) and that appears to be their concensus. I have been told by several different people that the UFL program is one of the "top 5".

To be perfectly honest, I have no way to verify that. I am merely hoping that this is true. In an effort to hedge my bets, I wil schedule myself to stay in the area for an extra day or two around the interview to see if if the place lives up its reputation.

I have the additional concerns of requiring a place where my family (wife, dog and child en route) will be happy whilst I toil away as a resident.

Congrads...Best of luck, and keep us posted on the process. Brings back memories of waiting for that first interview request, what a relief!!! Somebody wants me!!! Take care.

WTG on the getting those interviews!!!!! Quick question, I'm an MSII, and am somewhat interested in Anesthesiology (although that may change). I was wondering, what makes for a competitive applicant (i.e. board scores, etc.) any info is greatly appreciated.

Board scores are certainly up there,especially Step I, however LORs' are seriously considered, at least in my case. It would sound somewhat broad but most everything you achieve from here on out is going to count...AOA,School reputation, rotations(and try to honor+ in them) Personal statements, interviewing, etc.... Good Luck!!