First time posting please advise on what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkschun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time posting on SDN after lurking for about a year and a half. I am a nontrad 29 year old, who is finishing his a la carte post bacc at Uni. Did horrible in undergrad, worked for 3 years, decided to try to do dental, did the a la carte post bacc for 3 semesters to finish prereqs. Here are the stats.

uGPA: 2.2
post bacc GPA: 3.7(calc, stats, 2 orgo, 2 chem, 2 bio, 2 physics, a/p)

cGPA (now): 2.5
sGPA: 3.15

cGPA(aacomas using retakes) : 2.9
sGPA:(aacomas using retakes): 3.3

ECs: a few
Volunteer: 45 hrs
Shadow: only a dentist

So, I wanted to do dental, but with my stats I feel depressed everyday. Looking into DO programs gives me some kind of hope and motivation. I just want to start my career and have a focus where I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I did very poorly in UG b/c I was lazy and didn't think that college was important. I had F's in fitness walking, lots of W, and just by looking at the transcript it should be known that I didn't give a %$#@. But I do now. I did well in high school, had a 1410 SAT, and AP credits for Spanish, Physics, Calc, and Psychology.

So, I was going to take the DAT this summer, but I feel like I have a better chance applying to DO schools because of their aacomas GPA retake policy. Without it, my cGPA would be stuck forever around 2.5.

So my question to you guys is: "What should I do?"

1) Should I keep taking courses a la carte? I can retake possibly 2 classes from UG to raise my cGPA a few more points, although they aren't premed related. In the mean time I can take higher level bio courses. Should I try to raise my cGPA to >3.0?

2) Should I take the DAT or MCAT? Is it a good idea for me to continue pursuing dentistry? Are my chances ok with DO programs? What about Podiatry or optometry?
I know I am jumping around to different professions, but right now I just want to start my life. I am completely happy studying any of these professions. I am 29 btw.

3) Should I go to an SMP, with all their loans and risk?

Thanks in advance. I know this is a long thread, but I wanted to be thorough so that you guys know my exact situation. That way you can give me better advice. Please take my 3 years of time off from school into account.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

That's pretty light. Even if your GPA and MCAT / DAT scores were great, your ECs, shadowing and volunteer hours would handicap your application. But with weak numbers AND weak ECs -- Not to mention the 'do you want to be a doctor or a dentist' confusion.

What's your hook? You need to build a cogent application that tells a story. The 'really bright guy who was lazy and unmotivated in UG start is something you can overcome -- but the way to overcome it is by demonstrating conclusively that you are no longer lazy and unmotivated. You haven't done that yet.

You definitely need to get your cGPA >3.0 if you want any love from DO programs. Even the newest ones may autoscreen you out with a 2.9.

1) Should I keep taking courses a la carte? I can retake possibly 2 classes from UG to raise my cGPA a few more points, although they aren't premed related. In the mean time I can take higher level bio courses. Should I try to raise my cGPA to >3.0?

You tell me. First you have to decide what career you want, and then jump into it with all your heart and soul. Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a fireman.

2) Should I take the DAT or MCAT? Is it a good idea for me to continue pursuing dentistry? Are my chances ok with DO programs? What about Podiatry or optometry?
I know I am jumping around to different professions, but right now I just want to start my life. I am completely happy studying any of these professions. I am 29 btw.

Best of proving you can handle medical school, provided you do well and do well on MCAT. But I'd say just finish your DIY post-bac and if you can get the GPA >3.0, start applying DO. Start shadowing and getting in your ECs too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, this is my first time posting on SDN after lurking for about a year and a half. I am a nontrad 29 year old, who is finishing his a la carte post bacc at Uni. Did horrible in undergrad, worked for 3 years, decided to try to do dental, did the a la carte post bacc for 3 semesters to finish prereqs. Here are the stats.

uGPA: 2.2
post bacc GPA: 3.7(calc, stats, 2 orgo, 2 chem, 2 bio, 2 physics, a/p)

cGPA (now): 2.5
sGPA: 3.15

cGPA(aacomas using retakes) : 2.9
sGPA:(aacomas using retakes): 3.3

So, I wanted to do dental, but with my stats I feel depressed everyday. Looking into DO programs gives me some kind of hope and motivation. I just want to start my career and have a focus where I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I did very poorly in UG b/c I was lazy and didn't think that college was important. I had F's in fitness walking, lots of W, and just by looking at the transcript it should be known that I didn't give a %$#@. But I do now. I did well in high school, had a 1410 SAT, and AP credits for Spanish, Physics, Calc, and Psychology.

So, I was going to take the DAT this summer, but I feel like I have a better chance applying to DO schools because of their aacomas GPA retake policy. Without it, my cGPA would be stuck forever around 2.5.

So my question to you guys is: "What should I do?"

Thanks in advance. I know this is a long thread, but I wanted to be thorough so that you guys know my exact situation. That way you can give me better advice. Please take my 3 years of time off from school into account.
To start:

I am only saying this because I truly want to help you (some times just laying down reality is what a person really needs!)

You are almost 30 years old. By now you need to figure out exactly what it is you want to do.

With that being said, do not settle for DO because you think it will be the easier route to go. You really need to follow your heart.

I really don't know you and am only judging off of this thread, but from what I have read it seems like you may be parcial to dentistry. Either way, I think with a little improvement you can definitely get into both types of schools (depending on which on you think is for you). Take some easy gen ed classes to improve your cumulative gpa.

Study for your standardized test (depending on which school you choose) and make sure you rack up some more EC's.

Also, please, if you do decide to apply to medical school, when writing your personal statement and or interviewing sound like becoming a doctor was your life long dream. There are too many of us (*cough* *cough* ME) who really want this, which would make the committee second guess whether or not you are worth the risk.

Lastly, the best of luck to you. I really do believe once you figure out what it is you want to do, you'll be able to set goals and ultimately attend the school of your choice.

I agree that a 30 year old needs to decide what they want in life. Getting a DO degree only because you're scared of getting into a dental program can become a huge mistake. Either way, as of now, <3.0 means that you won't become a DO.