First time posting! What are my chances at these schools? I need to narrow them down!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxzuya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as a Canadian student looking into the Med Schools in the States, I was looking through the MSAR and narrowed down the potential schools that I would like to apply for to 40 schools so far. But, I would like to further narrow it down to at most 20. Can you guys help me with eliminating some schools?

My stats are.

GPA: 3.73

MCAT: 510 (PS: 128, CARS: 126, B: 128, Psych/soci: 128)

ECs: research publications, president of a club for 3 years, involved with 300+ community hours for 4 years.

These are the schools that I narrowed the 100 schools that take canadian applicants:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Boston University School of Medicine

Central Michigan University College of Medicine (low tier)

Columbia university college of physicians and surgeons (higher tier)

Duke University School of Medicine

Emory University School of Medicine

Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth

George Washington School of Medicine

Georgetown University School or Medicine

Howard University College of Medicine

Icahn school of medicine at mount sinai

Loma Linda University School of Medicine (christian)?

NYMC

New York University School of Medicine

Feinberg School of Medicine

Oakland University William Beaumont

Penn State

Rush Medical college

Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

Saint Louis University

Sidney Kimmel Medical College

Stanford (Dream)

SUNY upstate

Stony Brook

Tulane

UCLA

UCSF

University Cincinnati College of Medicine

University of Connecticut

Illionois college of medicine

University of Kentucky

University of Maryland School of Medicine

University of North Carolina

University of Pittsburg

University of Virginia

Washington University

Wayne State University'

Cornell

Virginia Commonwealth University

Yale

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is ~ a 30 on the old scale, which is low for a lot of schools on your list, and applying as an international applicant will make it harder for you still.

The following schools are going to be totally out of reach with your stats:
Stanford (Dream)
UCLA
UCSF
University of Pittsburg
University of Virginia
Washington University
Cornell
Yale

The following schools will most likely not consider you unless you meet their mission statement:
Howard University College of Medicine (historically black)
Loma Linda University School of Medicine (christian)? (seventh day adventist)

The following schools, even if they say they take international applicants, heavily favor applicants from their states and so may not be worth applying to:
University of Kentucky

Overall, I'm not sure how a Canadian applicant with a 510 MCAT will fare in USMD admissions. I would take a look at the International Applicants thread (which can be found by clicking on either of the large links in my signature) and see what they say. I'm not an expert on international admissions, but I can tell you that a lot of the schools on your list are out of reach.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is ~ a 30 on the old scale, which is low for a lot of schools on your list, and applying as an international applicant will make it harder for you still.

The following schools are going to be totally out of reach with your stats:
Stanford (Dream)
UCLA
UCSF
University of Pittsburg
University of Virginia
Washington University
Cornell
Yale

The following schools will most likely not consider you unless you meet their mission statement:
Howard University College of Medicine (historically black)
Loma Linda University School of Medicine (christian)? (seventh day adventist)

The following schools, even if they say they take international applicants, heavily favor applicants from their states and so may not be worth applying to:
University of Kentucky

Overall, I'm not sure how a Canadian applicant with a 510 MCAT will fare in USMD admissions. I would take a look at the International Applicants thread (which can be found by clicking on either of the large links in my signature) and see what they say. I'm not an expert on international admissions, but I can tell you that a lot of the schools on your list are out of reach.

I was planning on taking the MCAT again in late August, after studying for approximately 3 months. Hopefully, I will get 515-520 on the MCAT. (Only spent 4 weeks on the MCAT last time). Does this change anything?? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on taking the MCAT again in late August, after studying for approximately 3 months. Hopefully, I will get 515-520 on the MCAT. (Only spent 4 weeks on the MCAT last time). Does this change anything?? Thank you!

It will once you get that score, so I would recommend asking the question again after you take your MCAT and get your scores back. I would also not recommend applying this cycle if you're taking your second MCAT in late August and won't get your score back until late September.

It will once you get that score, so I would recommend asking the question again after you take your MCAT and get your scores back. I would also not recommend applying this cycle if you're taking your second MCAT in late August and won't get your score back until late September.
Thank you for your input! I found that a lot of the AMCAS deadline was in October-December and I was wondering if I planned on submitting my application earlier (early to mid June), would my new MCAT score be taken into consideration for the application or would they just use my old MCAT score? I think I read somewhere that people who apply earlier, gets their application processed earlier, hence, gets interviews earlier. So in the grand scheme of things, will my new MCAT score (results come out late September) have an influence on my application?

Thank you, and I know I am asking a lot of questions!

Thank you for your input! I found that a lot of the AMCAS deadline was in October-December and I was wondering if I planned on submitting my application earlier (early to mid June), would my new MCAT score be taken into consideration for the application or would they just use my old MCAT score? I think I read somewhere that people who apply earlier, gets their application processed earlier, hence, gets interviews earlier. So in the grand scheme of things, will my new MCAT score (results come out late September) have an influence on my application?

Thank you, and I know I am asking a lot of questions!

The impact of your new MCAT score will be severely diminished if you apply this cycle, and applying as if you are going to score a 515-520 (i.e. 5-7 points higher on the old scale than your current score) is very dangerous. If you are set on retaking the MCAT, you should sit out a year and apply very early next cycle. If you are applying this cycle, it's likely not worth retaking the MCAT and you should apply as if you have a 30. I would recommend retaking and applying next year.

The impact of your new MCAT score will be severely diminished if you apply this cycle, and applying as if you are going to score a 515-520 (i.e. 5-7 points higher on the old scale than your current score) is very dangerous. If you are set on retaking the MCAT, you should sit out a year and apply very early next cycle. If you are applying this cycle, it's likely not worth retaking the MCAT and you should apply as if you have a 30. I would recommend retaking and applying next year.

Hmm, okay thank you for your input, I am applying to Canadian schools as well this cycle, so I will apply to the schools that you recommend I have a higher chances of getting in :)

Eliminate the schools that matriculate less than 3 internationals (e.g.UCSF).
Eliminate the mission-based schools where you don't fit the mission (e.g. Howard, Loma Linda)
Eliminate the ones where a second MCAT, when averaged with your first is unlikely to meet the school's median (WUSTL, Stanford...).
Apply next cycle when your application can be submitted in time to be considered. Many schools will screen you with your old score even if you indicate that you are planning a re-take.

Last edited by a moderator:
My stats are.

GPA: 3.73

MCAT: 510 (PS: 128, CARS: 126, B: 128, Psych/soci: 128)

What is your province? Your MCAT/GPA may not meet cutoffs...
For example:
Western 2015-2016:
BBFLS 127 (BS:10), CPFBS 127 (PS:10), CARS 130 (VR: 11), Total MCAT 384 on those three sections (31 on old scale), GPA: 3.7 in best two years at full course load
(SWOMEN:
BBFLS 124 (BS:8), CPFBS 125 (PS:8), CARS 125 (VR: 8), Total MCAT 384 on those three sections (31 on old scale), GPA: 3.7 in best two years at full course load)

Toronto:
Accepted 2015: BS-12, PS-11, VR-10, weighted GPA 3.96

Last edited: