First time shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

151Things

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate about to shadow an anesthesiologist for the first time. Any recommendations or things to be aware of? I just don't want to do something embarrassing or awkward.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask at the beginning when an appropriate time to ask questions is. Make sure you know what to wear and if there is any paperwork to complete before shadowing. Read up on the very basics so you can get more out of what is going on.

Reactions: 1 user
Just make sure you're not getting in the way (if you're unsure of where to be, just ask). Don't enter or touch anything in the sterile area where the surgery people are doing their surgery thing. Other than that ... just show up on time and show some interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask if you can stay the whole time that the physician you are shadowing is at work. Gives you a really good perspective on what a real day in medicine is. If the doc is there from 6am-6pm but you're only there from 10-4 and just see the cool procedures, that's not a full representation of being a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask if you can stay the whole time that the physician you are shadowing is at work. Gives you a really good perspective on what a real day in medicine is. If the doc is there from 6am-6pm but you're only there from 10-4 and just see the cool procedures, that's not a full representation of being a doctor.
Great point.

Can't really comment on shadowing an anesthesiologist, but here are some general tips along with a couple of things I wish I had thought about before shadowing:
  • Be nice to EVERYONE. This sounds stupid but it's incredibly surprising to me that there are still plenty of people who don't understand this principle so I think it's worth mentioning. You don't know who the doctor is going to talk to when it comes to deciding whether or not to write you an LOR (if you're going to ask for one). Even if you're not going to ask for an LOR, you might rotate or work there some day and you don't want to burn bridges by being rude or by being a little standoffish. Even if you're not going to ask for an LOR and you know for sure you're not going to work there, just be a nice person anyway because that's the right thing to do.
  • Bring something to do in down time if you're not going to be in the OR all day.
  • Be early.
  • Bring snacks you can fit in your pocket.
  • Be engaged and eager to learn, but, as was said above, give people space.
  • Wear the right clothing.
  • I had always had a list of questions prepared each time I shadowed, but didn't realize I could be asking too many questions. It became evident I was being annoying in this particular regard when one of the docs I shadowed looked at me wide-eyed and gave short answers to my questions. From then on I was a just a wee bit more careful to gauge the air in the room and know when to ask questions.
  • I was way too nervous before I started shadowing. If you get this way, relax! Shadowing is important for sure, but it's not as big a deal as you might make it out to be.