First Year at DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fly101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently accepted a position into the entering class of 2010 at CPMS of DMU and am very curious on what a typical schedule of the first year was like. I know studying varies with each student, but I would really like to know how long classes, and labs are on a typical day. It would be great to hear the responses to help give me a better idea of what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

fly101 said:
I have recently accepted a position into the entering class of 2010 at CPMS of DMU and am very curious on what a typical schedule of the first year was like. I know studying varies with each student, but I would really like to know how long classes, and labs are on a typical day. It would be great to hear the responses to help give me a better idea of what to expect.

Hi, I have also accepted a position for the 2010 class at DMU. I was very impressed with the facility, students, and staff. I am also interested in knowing about the typical day/week of a first year. Also, do most of the students live close to campus? I am thinking about buying a house and want to be very careful in choosing a location. Thanks very much

fly101 said:

This really depends on how well you study and how fast you grasp material. I personally was at the school everyday, all day till late. Except for Sunday which I spent with my family and Friday nights which I would spend with my wife. A typical week would be classes from 8am-12pm mon-fri. Sometimes there are lectures in the afternoon also but not often. You will have your labs in the afternoon. Usually from 1pm-3pm. Depending on the week you could have labs everyday or every other day. Then I would study from 3pm on. Sometimes I got home at 6:30 while others I was at school from 10pm-midnight. There are other students that dont need this much time, especially those with extensive undergrad basic science background (not me). First year is tough, unlike most other schools, you take all of your basic sciences the first year. Its very fast. Classes in the first year include: Gross anatomy, Biochemistry, Immunology, Intro to Pod Med, Cell Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Pathology, Physical Diagnosis, Neuro anatomy and Geriatrics. In the first semester of second year you will have pharmacology and then the system courses, Cardio, Heme, Neuro, Endocrine, GI etc. You dont start lower limb anatomy, clinical pod med, surgery etc until the second semester. Just be prepared to work hard. For the first year and a half, you are also competing with the DO students. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
That definitely helps. I can't wait to get started. I do have another question. Right now I am working at a hospital, but not attending school and would like to review some things before starting. Do you have any recommendations on some things to look over. I'm definitely enjoying my time right now just hanging out but thought it would be good to try and review some things before starting up next year. Thanks for all of your help.

fly101 said:
That definitely helps. I can't wait to get started. I do have another question. Right now I am working at a hospital, but not attending school and would like to review some things before starting. Do you have any recommendations on some things to look over. I'm definitely enjoying my time right now just hanging out but thought it would be good to try and review some things before starting up next year. Thanks for all of your help.

If you have already taken any of the previously mentioned courses in undergrad, I would review them. Especially anatomy! The material is very fast so the more you already have under your belt, the better.

I would second the fast pace comments.

The best comparison I can make would be Biochemistry. I had a semester course in undergraduate, and did well. At DMU our Biochem course was covered in 8 weeks. We covered everything from my previous course in the first two weeks, and more detail was expected.

The rest of the courses are similar.

efs said:
I would second the fast pace comments.

The best comparison I can make would be Biochemistry. I had a semester course in undergraduate, and did well. At DMU our Biochem course was covered in 8 weeks. We covered everything from my previous course in the first two weeks, and more detail was expected.

The rest of the courses are similar.

Another Biochem comparison...

I was really surprised to find that one of my best friends and I would both be taking Biochem with the same text (Lehninger) at the same time. He graduated a year earlier, but I was still an undergrad. Imagine my surprise when I called his cell phone after two weeks of class and told him that I was studying for a test on Chapter 3 the next week. He was studying for a test on chaps.11-16 the next day.

I am a first year at DMU and everything they have said is true. I would review Biochemistry and Anatomy. If you can take a Micro class or review that as well I think that would be beneficial as well. DMU is awesome but get ready to study your behind off.