For clinical folks: Why are you going for Ph.D./PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivyleaf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to why you decided to go this route. What are your endgoals? Academia? Director of a clinic? Research?

Members don't see this ad.

I am just curious as to why you decided to go this route. What are your endgoals? Academia? Director of a clinic? Research?

I just chose between a Psy.D. program and a Ph.D. program. This was a bit of a hard decision for many reasons. In the end I went with the Psy.D. program mainly because I have no interest in academia and, while I am interested in research (the program I am going to has productive professors and does emphasize research literacy), I don't see myself being dedicated to producing it in the future. As for "end goals", I have enough life experience to know that those will likely develop as I gain more exposure to the field at the doctoral level. BUT, if you're going for interviews, I suggest you have a better answer than that ;). Every prof I interviewed with asked me.

I enjoy the learning, and while I could probably do what I want to do without a clinical degree (run a treatment center and/or run a think tank), some of the clinical work appeals to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really sure how I ended up in a psyd program. I think my heart knew something that the rest of me didn't. I just love it!:love:

I like research and I also like clinical work (or, at least I do from what I've seen of it so far). I find both equally important.

I'm a masochist so I decided to torture myself for 5+ years. Oh. Also, I enjoy challenging my own mental stability.

Seriously though, I THOUGHT I wanted to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology last year but after spending 3 years as an RA, I realised, "Hey! Not for me." So, I'm starting this fall in a PsyD program which gives me just enough exposure to research with a great deal of practical application...

Peace.:cool:

T4C, you are in a PhD program, correct? Does yours focus more on clinical work than research?

T4C, you are in a PhD program, correct? Does yours focus more on clinical work than research?
Psy.D. I have done research for the majority of my training, though I'd say I have an even split. Some people do less, but I wanted to learn as much as I can, so I have the option down the line if I want to continue. I'm a big believe in balanced training...though some prefer one side more than the other.

I chose to continue on after a Master's for a few reasons:

1. Currently, I am interested in working as a Staff Psychologist at a College Counseling Center/Some day in the future being the Director of one. You can't do that with a Master's degree in the majority of universities.

2. I want to teach as an adjunct while working in a college counseling center. Yes you can adjunct with an M.A. but ... if I fall in love with it to the point where I want to move into a full-time position, the doctorate will allow me that versatility.

3. To put off the REAL WORLD for another 4-5 years? Deep down, that could have had something to do with it!:)

Jon

I'm pursuing a Ph.D. because I love research and desire to work in academia. If I cannot obtain a professorship, I would work in a research lab for the rest of my years. I think clinical skills are important, but I have no desire to be a full-time clinician.

I'm a very curious individual; I like asking questions and trying to understand why and how things happen. I also knew the Ph.D. was the right route for me because I've worked in psychological research for many years.

I hope to meet many more curious individuals throughout my career.

I'm pursuing a Ph.D. because I love research and desire to work in academia. If I cannot obtain a professorship, I would work in a research lab for the rest of my years. I think clinical skills are important, but I have no desire to be a full-time clinician.

I'm a very curious individual; I like asking questions and trying to understand why and how things happen. I also knew the Ph.D. was the right route for me because I've worked in psychological research for many years.

I'm in roughly the same boat. Interested in research/academia/possibly public policy work. I love research!! :love:

I chose the Psy.D. as I love working with patients and I felt the dissertation gave an opportunitity to complete research and show interships that I am capable of this. I don't think a Psy.D limits going into academia and Universities are accepting Psy.D.'s as faculty. However, if your sole desire is academia then you should do a Ph.D. to coincide with your career goals.

Last edited:
myhnanyc said:

I'm in roughly the same boat. Interested in research/academia/possibly public policy work. I love research!! :love:

Me too! I love research and would absolutely love to work in academia, or conduct research to inform laws and policies pertaining to children. I decided to do my PhD in Clinical Psychology as opposed to a PhD in another area as I felt it was important for me to develop my clinical skills as well, as this would open up more opportunities to me.

I'm going after the Ph.D. for the same reason. To be completely honest, I dislike doing therapy. I feel like I relate much better to a residual covariance matrix than I do people. Clinical psychology needs scientists too, and curiosity seems to be a pre-requisite for us research types. I'm driven by the "why?" and I'm not all that concerned with the "why you?"

I was once told that there are two kinds of psychologists. These two psychologists went on a picnic one day. As they sat there, one of the psychologists noticied a baby floating by in a basket. He dove in and swam out to get the baby. Just as he returned to shore, another baby went floating by. He swam out to get that one, but then another floated by, and another, and another. The psychologist turned to his friend and said, "Get in here and help me save these babies!"

The other psychologist measured up the situation, and then replied, "I'm going to go up stream and see who's throwing them in."

I'm going after the Ph.D. for the same reason. To be completely honest, I dislike doing therapy. I feel like I relate much better to a residual covariance matrix than I do people. Clinical psychology needs scientists too, and curiosity seems to be a pre-requisite for us research types. I'm driven by the "why?" and I'm not all that concerned with the "why you?"

I was once told that there are two kinds of psychologists. These two psychologists went on a picnic one day. As they sat there, one of the psychologists noticied a baby floating by in a basket. He dove in and swam out to get the baby. Just as he returned to shore, another baby went floating by. He swam out to get that one, but then another floated by, and another, and another. The psychologist turned to his friend and said, "Get in here and help me save these babies!"

The other psychologist measured up the situation, and then replied, "I'm going to go up stream and see who's throwing them in."

I think I've heard a version of this story too. For me, I can think of nothing more valuable than addressing the larger issues of "why" from an "upstream perspective". The fact is that I'm more of a "downstream person" -- I thrive on the interpersonal process that is part of working with clients, and I think that's where I'm most talented too. Still, I sometimes get fascinated with the larger theoretical issues and love to think and read about them. That's why I went for the PsyD -- more than "just" a therapist, but a therapist at heart I guess.:rolleyes:

I think I've heard a version of this story too. For me, I can think of nothing more valuable than addressing the larger issues of "why" from an "upstream perspective". The fact is that I'm more of a "downstream person" -- I thrive on the interpersonal process that is part of working with clients, and I think that's where I'm most talented too. Still, I sometimes get fascinated with the larger theoretical issues and love to think and read about them. That's why I went for the PsyD -- more than "just" a therapist, but a therapist at heart I guess.:rolleyes:

Its okay, I promise to be upstream enough for the both of us (plus several more people). I've found clinical work gets boring fast (though I DO enjoy it more than I thought I would), but I could spend hours reading about obscure theories without ever needing to talk to anyone. Actually my dream job would consist of reading articles all day, coming up with protocols to test my insane ideas, and then having datasets emailed back to me once they're done without ever having to deal with the day-to-day of participants.

Alas, I'll have to settle for reality, and a regular academic job where you can't escape those things entirely..

I'd be the one who wandered up the stream, saw the problem, and instead of stopping them would wander into the woods and emerge 2 years later with a time machine that would let me go back and save the babies that were missed;)

This is why I needed a degree where I could get clinical training. If I don't have that to keep me grounded and remind me that there is a real world out there, I'd get too caught up in things that I find interesting and forget to you know....be useful.

Last edited: