For Imhotep, what is good program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needsomehelp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Imhotep,

I am wondering if you could comment on what is good program and what is so so program, is there any differece regarding job seeking later?

Also, you mentioned some good programs, could you please give us a little detailed information for these program, like Harvard or JH or UCLA or U. of Maryland or VCU or Yale?

What do you think places like U. of Washinton, U. of Michigan, William Beaumout hospital, Venderbelt?

Thanks.

water

Members don't see this ad.

Hi "Water"

To maximize your chances of getting a (good) job, I'd recommend getting into the best program that you can. Unlike internal medicine, radiology etc, there isnt an abundance of jobs out there. Having said that, with the proper training background and the right connections, you should be able to land a decent job. As far as the programs are concerned, the best (in no particular order) are: Harvard (JPNM), Hopkins, UPenn, Memorial Sloan Kettering, UCLA, and Stanford. UW and Michigan I believe require you to have completed an internal medicine residency prior to NM. But please check with them directly. Yale is not at the same level as the ones mentioned above. William Beaumont is a very clinically oriented program-high volume that is. So if you are interested in private practice, it might be a good fit. Vanderbilt is also a decent program. However, going back to my original point....IF possible, try to get into Hopkins, JPNM, or Sloan to have the best shot at private practice and/or academic positions once you are done.
Detailed info. Hopkins: great faculty, Baltimore is actually a fun town. U Maryland is not in the same league as Hopkins, even though it too is in Baltimore. Yale, like I said before, is mediocre. They are undergoing a flux in the program...plus New Haven? UCLA is obviously in a great location, I dont have a lot of info on the program otherwise. Vanderbilt has Dr. Delbeke, who is a strong NM advocate.

Thank you so much, Imhotep.

I am actually in one of so so program in the midsoutheast and I am thinking if I could transfer to another program, what do you think of my chance? I will highly appreciate any of your suggestion.

Thanks again.

water

Members don't see this ad :)
One more question, what about west LA-VA hospital, is it part of UCLA, is it good program?

So if possible, UW and UM are both programs, right?

Thanks again.

water

West LA VA program is decent simply because of the location; in a relatively nice part of LA. I dont know anything else about the program :)
Yes, UW and UM are great universities, and I'd imagine they have good nuc med programs, but I really do not have any first hand knowledge.