For the heck of it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm suffering from senioritis in class right now so I thought I'd make a top 10 DO school rankings. This list is my opinion based off 6 months of constant SDN reading/posting (my girlfriend thinks I'm addicted) and the application cycle as a whole. Don't skewer me, but I'm hoping for some debate.

Here we go:
1-5= public schools excluding WVSOM
6= PCOM PA
7= ATSU KCOM
8,9,10,11= RVU CO=KCU KC=DMU=CCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm suffering from senioritis in class right now so I thought I'd make a top 10 DO school rankings. This list is my opinion based off 6 months of constant SDN reading/posting (my girlfriend thinks I'm addicted) and the application cycle as a whole. Don't skewer me, but I'm hoping for some debate.

Here we go:
6= PCOM PA
7= ATSU KCOM

What is ATSU ranked 7?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive the ignorance, but why is RVU CO ranked so highly?

Reactions: 1 users
Forgive the ignorance, but why is RVU CO ranked so highly?

Board scores and recent residency placements. You could make the argument that this is recent (changed curriculum some few years ago), but this is how I see them currently.

Reactions: 1 user
Another one of these threads? Everyone's opinion will be different which will cause arguments as it always does, so I don't see the point of this.

Reactions: 7 users
Another one of these threads? Everyone's opinion will be different which will cause arguments as it always does, so I don't see the point of this.

I like a healthy debate plus I'm not trying to push my opinion.

Also, when I was making my school list these threads helped me out with it!

Last edited:
idk I thought the top DO school was Princeton COM.

IMO totally subjective and can be totally biased.

For example it is obviously PCOM (totally biased).

Ayyyyy

Reactions: 3 users
I think you should actually name the public schools, since some premeds who need to use lists like this to make their school list may not know specifically what these schools are.

I don't see LUCOM up there, I'm offended.

where is spacehamsterboo and the rest of her alts?

Public schools are (correct me if I'm wrong or miss one): Michigan State COM, Ohio Heritage COM, Rowan COM, North Texas COM, Oklahoma State COM

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is also a state school, but it doesn't have the same resources as the other 5.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Public schools are (correct me if I'm wrong or miss one): Michigan State COM, Ohio Heritage COM, Rowan COM, North Texas COM, Oklahoma State COM

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is also a state school, but it doesn't have the same resources as the other 5.
how does WVSOM compare to PCOM, KCU, NSU, AZCOM?

how does WVSOM compare to PCOM, KCU, NSU, AZCOM?
From what I understand (which could be wrong take it with a grain of salt), it is a fine school if you're looking to go into primary care. Its absolutely their focus as they have quite a few required primary care rotations as well as rural medicine rotations. They also only allow for about 3-4 elective blocks so you are limited to the number of audition rotations you can do. Now don't get me wrong here I interviewed and was accepted there and really liked the school. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding town is very nice with a lot of pretty landscapes, but it is VERY rural and like I said they push you into primary care.

Can't speak much to NOVA or AZCOM, but PCOM and KCU definitely do not push primary care. PCOM having it's own residencies puts it ahead of KCU, but KCU has a lot going for it as well.

From what I understand (which could be wrong take it with a grain of salt), it is a fine school if you're looking to go into primary care. Its absolutely their focus as they have quite a few required primary care rotations as well as rural medicine rotations. They also only allow for about 3-4 elective blocks so you are limited to the number of audition rotations you can do. Now don't get me wrong here I interviewed and was accepted there and really liked the school. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding town is very nice with a lot of pretty landscapes, but it is VERY rural and like I said they push you into primary care.

Can't speak much to NOVA or AZCOM, but PCOM and KCU definitely do not push primary care. PCOM having it's own residencies puts it ahead of KCU, but KCU has a lot going for it as well.
so
PCOM > KCUCOM > NOVA=AZCOM >>>> WVSOM?

the arguments is the point.

WCOMP?

:rolleyes:

Ask as I am genuinely curious about this school!

Here we go:
Only if you live in the state or can afford a 80k+ tuition.
Also CCOM and AZCOM are crazy expensive.
But it really doesn't matter, do well on boards and you can match pretty well from anywhere

Who needs a ranking when we have this majesty.

Touro NV is vegas is the best that's why.

Ask 10 people, you'll get 11 different answers.

Here we go:
6= PCOM PA
7= ATSU KCOM

Reactions: 3 users

Definitely agree with this assessment, I loved the vibe at WVSOM. I will say that most of their class self selects for PC though, because they randomly have a crazy competitive surgical match or two every year.

Overall Rams I think your list looks good!

one of my acquaintances really needs to stop bragging about their WVSOM acceptance then.

Eh I wouldn't brag about any acceptance.

Only if you live in the state or can afford a 80k+ tuition.

Yeah but when talking about the quality of a school and the available resources it doesn't matter if it takes many OOS, it still should be "ranked" highly because it has those resources available. UNC is a good example, they are a very well ranked MD program but it is very hard to get in there as OOS, but they still are ranked highly (and rightfully so).

Reactions: 2 users

Nova is a strong school as well with multiple FL hospital affiliations. I definitely agree with your sentiments about PCOM being ahead of KCU. KCU does have residencies underneath it as a sponsoring institution (theres a few in KC as well as all of the ones in Joplin) just like PCOM, however PCOM has a larger amount of residencies that range from neurosurgery to family medicine!

Here we go:
6= PCOM PA
7= ATSU KCOM

I've legit been dying to make a list as well.

Ok so...

1) UNTHSCOM (Yes, they outshine MSU and I should've seen this much earlier. 80% apply ACGME)
2) MSUCOM
3-5) Rowan, OSU, and OU-HCOM
6) PCOM (yeaaa boiiiii)
7) KCU
8) RVU
9) NOVA (19 Derm residencies in one state.... DROOOLING)
10-11) WesternU/COMP & NYIT
12-13) CCOM/AZCOM
14) DMU
15) KCOM
16) LECOM (Hated it, but damm their match list is nice; Also, big kudos to them for LECOMT)
17) UNECOM
18) ...

Working list, but I like it so far ;)

Ok so...

1) UNTHSCOM (Yes, they outshine MSU and I should've seen this much earlier. 80% apply ACGME)
2) MSUCOM
6) PCOM (yeaaa boiiiii)
7) KCU
8) RVU
12-13) CCOM/AZCOM
14) DMU
15) KCOM
16) LECOM (Hated it, but damm their match list is nice; Also, big kudos to them for LECOMT)
17) UNECOM
18) ...

Yeah I think people forget exactly how low TCOM's tuition is. Plus Texas residencies. I still don't know if I would say they outshine the other state schools though

Is this some sort of ranking system, dare I say a PECKING ORDER?!? What useful, insightful knowledge!

Reactions: 7 users
Is this some sort of ranking system, dare I say a PECKING ORDER?!? What useful, insightful knowledge!

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not lol but it would actually be nice if there was a semi formal ranking. The argument of its 100% subjective is BS as there are clear differences between schools in resources, residencies, rotations etc.

Yeah I think people forget exactly how low TCOM's tuition is. Plus Texas residencies. I still don't know if I would say they outshine the other state schools though

https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2017sklstats.html

UNTHSC/TCOM has the highest amount of students applying to ACGME residencies by far with the lowest percentage of non-matches. But looking at it again, I didn't interpret the graph correctly because MSUCOM has much more AOA spots, so of course more of their students will apply AOA and the non-match percentage will be higher. I stand corrected.

But neck-to-neck, I've heard that TCOM's board scores are highest or second highest in nation while MSUCOM is average or below. That combined with everything else may still put TCOM at #1 but still up to interpretation.

Ok so...

2) MSUCOM
6) PCOM (yeaaa boiiiii)
7) KCU
8) RVU
12-13) CCOM/AZCOM
14) DMU
15) KCOM
17) UNECOM
18) ...

I can agree with that list actually. Maybe CCOM a bit higher and OSU lower.

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not lol but it would actually be nice if there was a semi formal ranking. The argument of its 100% subjective is BS as there are clear differences between schools in resources, residencies, rotations etc.

The reason for the subjectiveness argument though is that outside of the immediate geographical area around schools (like KCU and KU, PCOM and the northeast) program directors view all DOs with the same lens. It doesn't matter if you are from PCOM or LMU, your app gets lumped in with the rest of the DO apps.

https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2017sklstats.html

UNTHSC/TCOM has the highest amount of students applying to ACGME residencies by far with the lowest percentage of non-matches. But looking at it again, I didn't interpret the graph correctly because MSUCOM has much more AOA spots, so of course more of their students will apply AOA and the non-match percentage will be higher. I stand corrected.

But neck-to-neck, I've heard that TCOM's board scores are highest or second highest in nation while MSUCOM is average or below. That combined with everything else may still put TCOM at #1 but still up to interpretation.

The board score thing is because TCOM is essentially the birthplace of the RVU, KCU curriculum. I believe that was the first place Dr. Dubin instituted it.

The board score thing is because TCOM is essentially the birthplace of the RVU, KCU curriculum. I believe that was the first place Dr. Dubin instituted it.

Yep. This is correct. Dr Dubin started at tcom, helped start up the curriculum there with Dr puthoff and implemented it. Then moved over to RVU and kcu. Dr Dubin also provided consult for bcom to have a similar curriculum. But it isn't the same as ours here in KCU now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you have any information about the resources and rotations those schools you listed have you could help people out quite a bit by putting it out there

The reason for the subjectiveness argument though is that outside of the immediate geographical area around schools (like KCU and KU, PCOM and the northeast) program directors view all DOs with the same lens. It doesn't matter if you are from PCOM or LMU, your app gets lumped in with the rest of the DO apps.

Yes mostly. It does help having core rotations in hospitals where you want to do your residency. Granted most students from most schools can do an audition rotation at an unaffiliated hospital, but having quality core rotations does provide more opportunity.

Here we go:
6= PCOM PA
7= ATSU KCOM

Not too shabby op

This is the kinds of threads that make deciding between OU-HCOM and PCOM so difficult!

This is the kinds of threads that make deciding between OU-HCOM and PCOM so difficult!

Really don't know how you could pick OU-HCOM when you're not from Ohio. The 5 year contract to practice in Ohio after you graduate is no joke. Even if you could somehow get out of it, why put up the hassle of it to begin with?

Really don't know how you could pick OU-HCOM when you're not from Ohio. The 5 year contract to practice in Ohio after you graduate is no joke. Even if you could somehow get out of it, why put up the hassle of it to begin with?
i remember space hamster boo making this point...she was crucified.