For the premeds that switched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insaiyanpredent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was your reasoning and how did you incorporate it into interviews if brought up or personal statements. For me it's time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your reasoning and how did you incorporate it into interviews if brought up or personal statements. For me it's time.
you should state your reason, not someone else's

Reactions: 1 users
Wasn’t really asked but a big thing for me was that I wanted to use my hands and I liked the amount of manual dexterity that is needed every day.. some other smaller things but that was big

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn’t really asked but a big thing for me was that I wanted to use my hands and I liked the amount of manual dexterity that is needed every day.. some other smaller things but that was big
Would they ask something in the lines of, "well why not go to medical school then pursue surgery" I might be overthinking it.

Would they ask something in the lines of, "well why not go to medical school then pursue surgery" I might be overthinking it.
Well whats the process/timeline of your decision? I graduated premed May 2019, after graduation decided to apply to PA programs because I thought it would be an easier/quicker way to end up in dermatology rather then going through medical school/residency because Derm is just that competitive. Well shortly after applying I actually realized I wanted more autonomy and perform a wider array of procedures then a typical PA would possess and decided in October of 2019 to shadow a dentist and I made the decision to pursue dentistry. As you can see going from medical school —> Pa —>dentistry all in one year is a pretty quick transition for such a huge career and financial decision. I personally didn’t have anyone ask me about it but I sort of explained my progression, mindset, interests and sort of how I narrowed down what exactly I was interested in as far as the healthcare field and what I wanted to do from day to day. sort of a long explanation bit I hope it helps.. I was worried about it too

Well whats the process/timeline of your decision? I graduated premed May 2019, after graduation decided to apply to PA programs because I thought it would be an easier/quicker way to end up in dermatology rather then going through medical school/residency because Derm is just that competitive. Well shortly after applying I actually realized I wanted more autonomy and perform a wider array of procedures then a typical PA would possess and decided in October of 2019 to shadow a dentist and I made the decision to pursue dentistry. As you can see going from medical school —> Pa —>dentistry all in one year is a pretty quick transition for such a huge career and financial decision. I personally didn’t have anyone ask me about it but I sort of explained my progression, mindset, interests and sort of how I narrowed down what exactly I was interested in as far as the healthcare field and what I wanted to do from day to day. sort of a long explanation bit I hope it helps.. I was worried about it too

I graduated in May of 2018, shadowed in ER, neuro clinic, and scribed at the beginning of covid at an op cardiology clinic. Currently in an SMP and doing well but I would like to either take the MCAT or DAT this coming summer so I can avoid another gap year and apply straight from the program. The problem is the shadowing that needs to be found during covid. The reason right now is basically time. I really like medicine but I'm 25 and would like to spend at least some of my 30s making a decent living.

Yea just depends on your resume and what’s realistic for you.. you should do a wamc template so that we can see what you’ve done so far. Dental school for the most part is extremely expensive unless you get scholarships or make it into your state school. A lot of dental schools are 300k+ with many being above 400k+ and with 7% interest..

I graduated in May of 2018, shadowed in ER, neuro clinic, and scribed at the beginning of covid at an op cardiology clinic. Currently in an SMP and doing well but I would like to either take the MCAT or DAT this coming summer so I can avoid another gap year and apply straight from the program. The problem is the shadowing that needs to be found during covid. The reason right now is basically time. I really like medicine but I'm 25 and would like to spend at least some of my 30s making a decent living.
you haven't decided yet on mcat or dat?

you should figure that out before worrying about interviews or personal statements...

you haven't decided yet on mcat or dat?

you should figure that out before worrying about interviews or personal statements...
Where do you attend dental school?