For those of us only on waitlists, what are you all doing in the mean time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalalapartay012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Neurotically counting down the days until May 15th.

Reactions: 10 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on two waitlists last year and it was horrible! Both schools seemed pretty receptive to update letters, so I wrote those, but I just tried to enjoy the last semester of undergrad as much as I could. Went to an interesting conference and then had a summer internship to distract me from worrying all day! I didn't get accepted from either waitlist :(, though. Decided to take a year before re-applying to strengthen my application more. Now I'm studying for the MCAT again...haha. This process is so stressful! Best of luck to you guys, though!!

Reactions: 3 users
Last year when I was sitting on waitlists, I was just looking for jobs and internships that I could spend my gap year doing. That and drinking away my troubles.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish i was on a waitlist at least. Right now im sitting on 1 official rejection, 1 silent rejection, 2 post interview decisions pending and no upcoming interviews.. im so depressed. Im also a reapplicant..

I'm

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
2 waitlists, 1 deferred, 2 awaiting postinterview decisions, 3 silence preinterview... Still pretty hopeful, but applying for research/post-bacc/masters programs anyway.

Also, beer pong.

1 waitlist, 4 silence POST interview...... Trying to focus on school and not think too much about applications LOL

My best shot right now is a "high priority" waitlist. I've mostly been spending time thinking about backup plans and possibly having to reapply and find a full-time job. It's tough to do well in classes with the weight of your future hanging over your head

Word of advice, don't bank on getting off the waitlist... continue working as hard as ever

Anyways how big of an impact do update letters have? Specifically research publications

What about letters of recommendation?

lol... for some reason this reminds me of the drunkard in the little prince who drinks because he's sad but then he's sad because he drinks so much :p if you don't mind me asking, how many waitlists were you on and does your story end up with a happy ending D:

Haha, I never reached that level of alcoholism. My situation wasn't so different from yours. Out of 5 interviews I was on 4 waitlists but it didn't work out and I didn't get off any of them. However, I learned a lot about myself and what I wanted over that first application cycle and this setback gave me an opportunity to pursue what I really wanted. I reapplied and I'm currently sitting on one acceptance at a school I really like and awaiting post-interview decisions from programs that I never dreamed would interview me. The best part is that I'll be genuinely happy with any of my options at the moment, unlike last year where I felt like I was settling on schools that I felt "meh" about. So, I guess that it's a happy ending, but kind of a delayed one.

I know these words don't mean so much to you right now (they didn't mean much to me a year ago) but if you work hard and give it your all in case you have to reapply, then everything will be just fine. I promise. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I've been continuing my service with AmeriCorps and sending periodic update/interest letters to my wait list schools. Despite the advised futility of these letters, I'm the kind of person that hates looking back on the "what-ifs". If I go empty-handed at the end of this cycle, it's knowing I've done everything I could.

2 wait lists and 1 decision deferred. No other interviews at the moment either.

I'm currently working full time doing research, but now I'm wondering if I should apply to a masters program. Not sure which would be better for my app if I need to apply again, another year of research or some sort of masters program...

2 wait lists and 1 decision deferred. No other interviews at the moment either.

I'm currently working full time doing research, but now I'm wondering if I should apply to a masters program. Not sure which would be better for my app if I need to apply again, another year of research or some sort of masters program...
Three interviews gives me hope that you will be accepted in late May.

Reactions: 4 users
Three interviews gives me hope that you will be accepted in late May.

Thanks! I appreciate the optimism and I'm trying to stay optimistic myself.

What is your view on one year masters programs? Do you think they are worthwhile or would I be better off continuing my research?

Thanks! I appreciate the optimism and I'm trying to stay optimistic myself.

What is your view on one year masters programs? Do you think they are worthwhile or would I be better off continuing my research?
Some of them have strong linkages that make them a good choice. I had an applicant last year who got into Drexel this way.

Currently on 4 wait lists and still waiting to hear from one school for a post-interview decision. I definitely can relate to everyone's anxiety!

Thanks for all the responses guys! I am really glad I am not the only one :)

Hopefully this thread will turn into an inspiring waitlists-into-acceptances thread for future applicants to look back on! :D

Checking in. Waitlisted at 5 schools right now. Will probably be up to 7 in a few weeks. Good luck to everyone during the next couple months!

One pending post interview decision and one more interview at the end of this month... This process is so stressful.

6 would give me hope; I was in that same position and ended up reapplying.

Were the schools that you were waitlisted at ones with not a lot of waitlist movement? (*trying to remain hopeful and optimistic*)

Were the schools that you were waitlisted at ones with not a lot of waitlist movement? (*trying to remain hopeful and optimistic*)

I don't think I can really answer that. "Not a lot of waitlist movement" is vague enough that I COULD say yes, but all I know is that there was, indeed, waitlist movement.

My 2 waitlists are "top 20" schools... So I'm crossin fingers and toes

two up coming interviews, 2 pre interveiw waitlist, 10 schools playing the silent game (probably gonna be mostly rejections, but hopeful 1 turns into an interview), 0 acceptences. heres for the best

top20 schools usually have more waitlist movement right? (i totally just made that up but i'm trying to reason that all the highly sought applicants get accepted outright at these schools and hold multiple acceptances :p)

They better

I'm a re-applicant, wait listed at 2 schools. My optimism is intermittent, my frustration is persistent.
I had a summer internship at 1 of the schools a yr ago and established a pretty solid relationship with some on the admission committee. My interviews there also went very well (at least that's what my interviewers told me). The fact I was wait listed there frustrates/scares the hell out of me.

During this suspenseful and inhumane wait I have been working 50+ hours a week in the ER as a scribe, reading books, watching Netflix, and drinking too much beer.

Life is weird in that with every new struggle you tell yourself you cannot get any lower, suffer any more. And then you do sink lower and suffer even more. But you just keep moving along.

I double posted.. my bad

Hi friends. 3 waitlists, 1 post-interview rejection.

It's sort of a paradox. I love the stuff I'm doing to keep busy - full-time research job, volunteering, tutoring, partying my ass off when I can - but I HATE that it feels like the only thing that actually matters is getting into med school :(

Does anyone know when the first schools start accepting off the waitlist? I know many don't have much movement until 5/15, but I'm sure some start earlier.

It's entirely school dependent. For ex, NYU has already started accepting students off the waitlist, while other schools don't even look at waitlists again until 5/15-ish

I know it's school dependent, I just didn't realize any schools had already started. I want to send an update letter to my schools, but I don't want to send tooooo early.

Oh wow, that sucks... hopefully it's just a lack of people reporting their acceptances rather than the reality of the situation!

Thanks, yea I hope so too. Not too much to do at this point but wait and send in updates.

Don’t give up hope. If it’s any consolation I was waitlisted at 3 schools and pulled off waitlist at one of them in mid June. Currently I’m in my first year of a residency program.

Any current medical students with stories of getting pulled off wait lists late in the game want to give us folks some hope?

Bonus if you were a middle-of-the-road applicant

So I've officially started working on my reapplication. Although I'm still stubbornly optimistic, I also like to be prepared.

Still hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.