For those of you who took the MCAT which Bio topics were covered ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakyStudent

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read an old post from someone who said there was no phys on her MCAT form despite tons of phys on her practice tests.

Which topics were most covered on your forms ? Which topics were excluded from your exam that you expected ? Any topics that were covered that you wish werent covered ?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I might as well tell you that the MCAT is different with every administration. There is no way of telling if you will have questions on any one topic. The only way to prepare is to be solid on all the stuff they tell you to study in the MCAT student manual. That's it. Take a prep course if you have trouble staying motivated, or study the stuff on your own. Then take a bunch of the old AAMC MCATs that are available for purchase on the AAMC website or through your prep class. Analyze questions you got right and wrong and why you got them right or wrong. This will teach you MCAT strategy and critical thinking skills.

That's about all there is to it, I swear. Asking people what was on their MCAT will do you no good, because every MCAT has different questions and different mixes of topics on it.

FreakyStudent said:
I just read an old post from someone who said there was no phys on her MCAT form despite tons of phys on her practice tests.

Which topics were most covered on your forms ? Which topics were excluded from your exam that you expected ? Any topics that were covered that you wish werent covered ?

I took the April MCAT and although I seem to have blacked out on a lot of the material that was covered, :confused: I seem to remember there being a lot of strange genetics passages/questions. These were very logically-based, so you had to be able to reason through the passage and there wasn't too much you had to have memorized. I really like these questions, but I know a lot of people on SDN complained about them. Good luck studying! :luck:

I was wondering, how in depth do we need to know cellular respiration? Also, the endocrine/paracrine system?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cellular respiration: (somewhat important) anaerobic, aerobic, facultive aerobic. End products of respiration.
Endocrine/paracrine: (very important) know all major hormones, know what they do, know where they are secreted from, know the feedback mechanism, know what they act on, know which ones are sterols.

I had a lot of genetics on my test.

I had a passage about immunology, a passage about microbiology with some genetics questions tied into the micro passage. It was about E. coli and S. marcesans.

I had a passage about glutamate synthase as well.

Other then that I just remember a lot of genetics as I expected, oh and a lot of organic which I did not expect. I had some questions that were exactly like my TPR review book too. One question was about separation of organic compounds, and it was like something straight out of the review book.

We'll see how I did in a few weeks though.