For those times when you just need to vent a bit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He did say it made him feel "great" and allow him to work 16 hour days though...

Yeah, I bet it did :shifty:

Members don't see this ad.

Without going into details... my patient's mugshot is all over the local news this afternoon. Wonderful.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Without going into details... my patient's mugshot is all over the local news this afternoon. Wonderful.

It took this long? Sorry. I've had patients in trouble with the law pretty early. Thought it was just par from the course. Heck, had my first death threat on internship.

It took this long? Sorry. I've had patients in trouble with the law pretty early. Thought it was just par from the course. Heck, had my first death threat on internship.

relatively high profile incident involving weapons, with the family and pt lawyer making noise in the media about "the VA didn't offer him the care he needed." Patient is a complete sociopath that I've spent more than my share of time on, and have had to put out fires and be involved in the fallout, in addition to a full clinic of people yelling at me about the fact I'm not increasing their benzos.

Interestingly enough, it allowed to hear some information about cases MUCH higher profile than my own from the past couple weeks. Good god, what a mess.

relatively high profile incident involving weapons, with the family and pt lawyer making noise in the media about "the VA didn't offer him the care he needed." Patient is a complete sociopath that I've spent more than my share of time on, and have had to put out fires and be involved in the fallout, in addition to a full clinic of people yelling at me about the fact I'm not increasing their benzos..

Yeah, this is every dumpster fire kind of patient. They are the ones that make me secretly want to see the VA privatized so that can see how the private sector doesn't have to put up with the bull**** of the problem/extreme high utilizer patients. It' amazing that the VA outperforms on outcome measures despite the mess it has to deal with at times.

Reactions: 1 users
relatively high profile incident involving weapons, with the family and pt lawyer making noise in the media about "the VA didn't offer him the care he needed." Patient is a complete sociopath that I've spent more than my share of time on, and have had to put out fires and be involved in the fallout, in addition to a full clinic of people yelling at me about the fact I'm not increasing their benzos.

Interestingly enough, it allowed to hear some information about cases MUCH higher profile than my own from the past couple weeks. Good god, what a mess.

I guess the upside is that you pretty much can't get sued, right, if you work for the VA? They also don't seem to trash individual docs that much and instead just trash the system in general. Still I'm not missing working at the VA.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, so erring on the side of not clogging this section of the forum up...So annoyed/frustrated/angry right now to know that a female therapist was recently taken to task by the state medical board for starting, and having a continuing sexual relationship with a male patient - and she at least gets the chance to reapply for registration in 18 month or so's time, as long as she completes the necessary education courses and proves herself fit to practice...and yet a male therapist (both cases about a month apart) gets done for the same thing (sexual relationship with a patient), and he's deregistered and banned from ever practicing again. Granted I'm still waiting for full details and transcripts for both cases to be published, but something doesn't sit right with me with what I know at this time. Both therapists broke patient trust and boundaries in a major way; both therapists committed what many see as the ultimate transgression when it comes to boundary violations, and yet one is being at least given a chance to return to practice, and the other has had the book thrown at them. Something just doesn't seem fair to me, it should be one rule across the board for everyone. Maybe I'm just being a tad naive though.

Reactions: 1 user
in addition to a full clinic of people yelling at me about the fact I'm not increasing their benzos..

Just so you know any VA doc worth his salt understands the benzos need to be increased in accordance with the inappropriate stimulants. Tongue in cheek. ;)

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, so erring on the side of not clogging this section of the forum up...So annoyed/frustrated/angry right now to know that a female therapist was recently taken to task by the state medical board for starting, and having a continuing sexual relationship with a male patient - and she at least gets the chance to reapply for registration in 18 month or so's time, as long as she completes the necessary education courses and proves herself fit to practice...and yet a male therapist (both cases about a month apart) gets done for the same thing (sexual relationship with a patient), and he's deregistered and banned from ever practicing again. Granted I'm still waiting for full details and transcripts for both cases to be published, but something doesn't sit right with me with what I know at this time. Both therapists broke patient trust and boundaries in a major way; both therapists committed what many see as the ultimate transgression when it comes to boundary violations, and yet one is being at least given a chance to return to practice, and the other has had the book thrown at them. Something just doesn't seem fair to me, it should be one rule across the board for everyone. Maybe I'm just being a tad naive though.

I think boundary violations and inappropriate sexual relationships with patients definitely could be worth a new thread since this unfortunately seems to be a common problem. I personally feel that anyone who crosses that line can never be trusted with patients again - male OR female.

I am not going to comment on what should be done after such a violation, but it does not surprise me if there was a different approach based purely on sex of the therapist. This seems based on a cultural bias that puts the man in charge of courting and aggressive drives as they pertain to sex.

Personally, I have some reservations about the capacities to ever recognize one's own therapeutic boundary crossings/violations on the way to a sexual relationship with a patient if someone has found themselves there in the past. But I am a young one in this field, and it's my observation that Psychiatry associations tend to be more rigid about the frame of a therapeutic relationship than Psychology.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting to see this thread awakened. I wonder if OP has made her job change yet?