Forbes names pharmacists as one of the 10 most stable jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Forbes is full of ****....lawyers stable #5? HAHAHAHA, yeah right! If there ever was a profession headed down the tubes (especially if you graduate TT/TTT), it is law.

Clearly Forbes is only concerned with T14.

ehh even the T14 graduates are having a tough time. a lot of big law firms closed down and are reducing bonuses/salaries a lot in order to make up for lost corporate revenue

i know businessweek is a ****ty magazine, but i came across this article that i found interesting. law is in for some really big changes after this recession is over. it'll be a lot leaner imo

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily...0091221_062893.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories

ehh even the T14 graduates are having a tough time. a lot of big law firms closed down and are reducing bonuses/salaries a lot in order to make up for lost corporate revenue

i know businessweek is a ****ty magazine, but i came across this article that i found interesting. law is in for some really big changes after this recession is over. it'll be a lot leaner imo

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily...0091221_062893.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories

Very good read, but I have hard time arguing with data, like from USC, where 98% of their 2008 graduating class had employment within 6 months.

And I also find it hard to believe anyone graduating from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Boalt, Columbia, will have a hard time getting employment.

I do agree, however, that things will be leaner, and I don't think that's entirely a bad thing!

Contrary to what the current job market is, glad to hear we are projected to be secured in the long run. I do find that I have to take this with a grain of salt though. It's true nursing is in demand but hospitals have frozen hiring for some time. And do we really need more ambulance chasers and those sleazy personal injury lawyers? No offense to lawyers btw...

I hope and pray every day that the government abolishes lawyers. Scumbags.

I personally think the Pharmacy field will be just fine.
I am pursing it (see my other prior posts)

However, pay no mind to mainstream media, and magazines such as Forbes, Time, etc. They are times are such lagging indicators of momentum, that they can be contrarians.

Recall this? http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/101/3984/1024/HomeSweetHome.0.jpg
(That was in mid 2005!! right before subprime just started to show its signs of implosion)

Time's uber bullish sentiment, basically CALLED the top of the housing market. (now that's a contrarian signal if I ever saw one)

My Point: you don't WANT magazines pumping the hell out of Pharmacy, b/c when they ARE, then it likely has peaked.

jmo

Agree w/ Lawyers. Putting them in the top 5, (even top 50) simply validates that the list is bunk. That is the one field that has fallen off the rocker more than ANY in the past few years, and imo it's still nowhere close to the bottom.

Last edited:

The recession ended (technically) with the annoucement of a positive GDP back in the 3rd qtr of this year. The defenition of a recession is negative gdp, which has declined for 4 quarters.

However, JMO....we are likely going to be headed into another recession or worse over the next couple years as the stimulus and quantitive easing wears off. Yes, everything will be alot leaner.

However RELATIVELY, anything and everything medical will still be stronger than the other jobs.
We can not control the economy, however if the selected job field is stronger than the AVERAGE job, then we make ground.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing is doing bad? That has to be debatable.
I'm apart of a nursing forum AllNurses as well and all they do is moan about layoffs, moan about paycuts, moan about being jobless and in debt 30k, you name it.Here in AZ all the hospitals have hiring freezes for nursing positions.

Go check out allnurses.com then get back to me ;)

I'm apart of a nursing forum AllNurses as well and all they do is moan about layoffs, moan about paycuts, moan about being jobless and in debt 30k, you name it.Here in AZ all the hospitals have hiring freezes for nursing positions.

Haha yea that kind of mirrors us, since all we do is moan about doomsday prophecies of pharmacy jobs tanking, but in reality jobs like pharmacy and nursing is safe compared to most...always a job somewhere. Its all relative.

nicolemsm said:
Nursing is doing bad? That has to be debatable.

If the average nurse spent eight years in college and came out of school with $100K in debt, I could sympathize with your point. Otherwise, the comparison is more than a little far fetched. I think its reasonable to expect a little more job security for pharmacists with the above sacrifices.

If the average nurse spent eight years in college and came out of school with $100K in debt, I could sympathize with your point. Otherwise, the comparison is more than a little far fetched. I think its reasonable to expect a little more job security for pharmacists with the above sacrifices.
My point originally stated was that Forbes is notoriously wrong... Idk why you have my supporting post w/ info why nursing is doing bad quoted?? The fact that FORBES is wrong is the point I'm trying to make. You can't believe everything you read. Someone even pointed out LAWYER- stable?
Last time I check a JD didn't open many doors unless you ivy leagued it up. Just because you have a PhD, PharmD, BSN, doesn't mean there's stability. So many other extraneous factors need to be factored in. Forbes overlooks them all.... Saturation in the field, schools graduating dozens upon dozens.... etc. etc.

Here, I'll direct you to what I said originally @ this article

nicolemsm said:
Didn't Forbes also state Nursing was a recession proof career? We all know how nursing is doing right now.... :thumbdown:

I call BS on anything they say... their writers obviously don't go out in the field and interview new grads. :laugh:

:laugh:

EDIT:
Also, I want to add, I don't need sympathy for my point. I'm not trying to be a nurse, I'm aiming to become a pharmacist but it's nice to see what's happening on the other side of the fence and hear it from the horse's mouth rather than some "website" deemed all knowing........ Don't believe everything you read.

Last edited:
Regardless, the sector of the economy we are in is second only to computer systems. While many markets are beginning to experience saturation, we should be safe long term.

Forbes is controlled by the automated pharmacy nanobots who are preparing to wipe us out of jobs.

Forbes is controlled by the automated pharmacy nanobots who are preparing to wipe us out of jobs.

review_sentinel_1.jpg

Nursing has been wonderful to me over the years. I think where you live depends on wether or not you have a problem finding a job and/or keeping a job. I've been employed here for 34 years. I currently work 2 jobs because my hubby is unemployed. Where I live nursing jobs are very plentiful but I know that in other areas of the country grads are having a tough time getting a job.

Please do not judge the state of nursing by allnurses.com they are all either nursing wannabees, those who are medical assistants who think they are nurses or moderators who do not work as nurses and sit at their desks with their fingers on the ban button because it makes them feel powerful. Allnurses.com is a farce in the world of nursing. It's all about money for the owner.

Nursing has been wonderful to me over the years. I think where you live depends on wether or not you have a problem finding a job and/or keeping a job. I've been employed here for 34 years. I currently work 2 jobs because my hubby is unemployed. Where I live nursing jobs are very plentiful but I know that in other areas of the country grads are having a tough time getting a job.

Please do not judge the state of nursing by allnurses.com they are all either nursing wannabees, those who are medical assistants who think they are nurses or moderators who do not work as nurses and sit at their desks with their fingers on the ban button because it makes them feel powerful. Allnurses.com is a farce in the world of nursing. It's all about money for the owner.
I'm glad you enjoy your nursing job. That's great. Where do you live? I'm asking because where I live there is a surplus on nursing on the whole west coast so I'm not sure if you're from the south where the nurses aren't being pumped out as fast. Here there are insane waiting lists (2+ years) and newly opening nursing schools every couple months or so. So there are too many people training to become nurses therefore bottoming out any jobs that were once available.

If you reread my original post, I didn't just judge by allnurses.com..... I did provide an example how all hospitals in AZ have a state wide hiring freeze... read much? And what you stated is so incorrect it isn't even funny. Nursing wannabes? Last time I checked there were forums dedicated to the pre-nursing student, graduate nurse, and RNs (plus all sub fields in nursing)....I'd suggest heading over there sometime to see what I'm saying.

Nursing wannabes? Last time I checked there were forums dedicated to the pre-nursing student, graduate nurse, and RNs (plus all sub fields in nursing)....I'd suggest heading over there sometime to see what I'm saying.

I am in the South. Nursing wannabes are those we refer to who ask, can I be a nurse even though I've been in jail, even though I'm on drugs, I've got 2 DUI's, they think they want to be a nurse just so they can earn a good living and don't have a clue as to what nursing is about.

Certainly students and new grads belong right along with the RN's and LPN's.

I am in the South. Nursing wannabes are those we refer to who ask, can I be a nurse even though I've been in jail, even though I'm on drugs, I've got 2 DUI's, they think they want to be a nurse just so they can earn a good living and don't have a clue as to what nursing is about.

Certainly students and new grads belong right along with the RN's and LPN's.
:laugh: Yes, I know exactly what you mean about "those" people... :scared: makes me really worry where the profession is going w/ too many people think it's "easy" or good pay for 2 years and an associates... no... that's not how the real world works- you have to actually put in time to make money... you can't just bs your way through school and board exams and become a "medical professional". Honestly that's why I read allnurses - to get a scope of the profession and see what it's like on the other side of the fence. I'm actually glad they NOW fingerprints and ask for "legal" proof of citizenship for board exams. It really makes me wonder how many people slipped through the cracks eh 10 or so years ago.....

Also, I just saw your sig, I didn't know allnurses was so hated... i try and keep my nose clean and not get into their "ethical" debates over there since I'm not "in the profession" / interested in it...

Also, I just saw your sig, I didn't know allnurses was so hated... i try and keep my nose clean and not get into their "ethical" debates over there since I'm not "in the profession" / interested in it...

They do some very unethical things over there and they very grossly over-estimate their membership numbers.