Forced Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermapplicant007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumblings about certain programs forcing residents into "voluntary" Saturday clinic moonlighting or even having required Saturday clinics. Does anyone know programs that do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard rumblings about certain programs forcing residents into "voluntary" Saturday clinic moonlighting or even having required Saturday clinics. Does anyone know programs that do this?

The only program I've heard of doing this is Miami, but nor sure if that's true. Some programs have moonlighting for Saturday clinics, but this is paid, and quite generously.

The only program I've heard of doing this is Miami, but nor sure if that's true. Some programs have moonlighting for Saturday clinics, but this is paid, and quite generously.

Agree. Miami is the only one I know of off hand. I had moonlighting opportunities at my program (within that health system and external) that were highly sought after bc they paid very, very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Poor you working on a Saturday...

Reactions: 1 user
Hey look everybody, a premed wandered into our forum! We know the MCAT is hard, but we are rooting for you!
LOL, took the Mcat, got a 39 on your scale, admitted to Northwestern, Yale, MU, and others. Try again :)

PS Full ride at Northwestern and MU :)

LOL, took the Mcat, got a 39 on your scale, admitted to Northwestern, Yale, MU, and others. Try again :)

PS Full ride at Northwestern and MU :)

That is a raging case of micropenis. Maybe you can get into urology and figure out the best cure!

Reactions: 2 users
Let's keep it professional.

Whether you think it reflects poorly on work ethic or not, the general work schedule in dermatology is 5 days (or less). It only makes sense for people to figure out which programs deviate from this schedule and which ones don't. While I wouldn't drastically change my rank order list over this, it's still something I would want to know before making my list.

As an aside, my program considered instituting Saturday hours. It was met with massive resistance from BOTH the residents and the attendings who would be forced to staff those hours.

You enjoy working weekends? I'm sure any residency / private practice would love to have you.

Reactions: 2 users
Fair enough... but if you picked your speciality based off lifestyle what does that say about your reason to be a doctor?

Yikes

Fair enough... but if you picked your speciality based off lifestyle what does that say about your reason to be a doctor?

Yikes
Wanting to live like a normal human being does not preclude one from being a good doctor or invalidate their voice to be a physician in any way. The institutionalized masochism in medicine is disgusting sometimes. It's perfectly natural to not want to suffer in your career, and shouldn't be looked down upon. Sorry to chime in on your forum dermies, I just get annoyed at the "You should suffer and be thankful for it" types sometimes.

Reactions: 9 users
Let's keep it professional.

Whether you think it reflects poorly on work ethic or not, the general work schedule in dermatology is 5 days (or less). It only makes sense for people to figure out which programs deviate from this schedule and which ones don't. While I wouldn't drastically change my rank order list over this, it's still something I would want to know before making my list.

As an aside, my program considered instituting Saturday hours. It was met with massive resistance from BOTH the residents and the attendings who would be forced to staff those hours.

You enjoy working weekends? I'm sure any residency / private practice would love to have you.

Yes, the program that I am most familiar with started doing a Saturday clinic at the VA as a show / political response to the problems with wait times, etc a few years back. I cannot say that it was met with great enthusiasm, either....

Yikes

Strong sign of intelligence? Foresight? Insight? Firm grounding reality? Simple economic literacy? Need I go on?

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting this is happening in Miami. I heard about it happening at a program in Michigan....

Derm requires a lot of studying, I think it is fair to seek a program that respects your time away from clinic.

Strong sign of intelligence? Foresight? Insight? Firm grounding reality? Simple economic literacy? Need I go on?[/QUOTE]

Haha. Had to create an account just to commend this commenter. Great retort. I recall in my intern year being astonished at all the comments coming my way for going into derm. Obvious insecurities from many other specialties. Meanwhile, I was pleasantly surprised that the derms I worked with never complained or talked bad about getting endless consults for "bilateral cellulitis" or "refractory eczema."

In fact, I've always felt we need to be more proactive in the hospital. I was an intern on service when we referred a lady with GI sxs and a rash to derm. The derm attending correctly diagnosed degos' within minutes of looking at the colonoscopy images and her rash. Derm sent her to oncology to get on a drug for degos that is only managed by hem/onc or pulm. We got her back on service and she later died that hospitalization because the oncologist was skeptical of the dx and ran some tests that supported it not being degos (which they confirmed she did have after she died) and she never even got the medication. She probably could've only extended her life a year or two, but striking how other specialties view dermatology knowledge/ability to treat serious diseases. It's not like derm applicants don't have highest class rank, board scores, or best general applications, year after year. But we have a long way to go to prove this to our peers, as evidenced by constant comments coming from those like our valiant, charitable, altruistic commenter, panthers88.

Reactions: 1 users