foreign undergraduate degree and a greencard!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kusje

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my quick story

I am on the 1st year of a 3 year Bachelors degree in Anatomy and Physiology in Australia at the moment. (3 years is the duration of a single major undergrad here) It is through Public Health stream so i am not doing any med school pre-reqs. My GPA is around 3.6 if that is any help.

I was hoping to gain permanent residency and study grad medicine in Australia after graduation but I won the Green Card lottery. My plan now is to finish my undergrad here, do a two year Post Bacc in USA for pre-reqs and apply for med school. Now questions..

I have read some very harsh comments about how most schools won't even consider applicants with a non-US bachelors degree. I am curious to what extent this is true. Does this mean i don't stand a chance with my Australian degree even if I do a post bacc? Or possibly I won't even be accepted to a post bacc programme?

Also, I am planning on doing a year long exchange in US on my second year. Will the credits I earn in the USA as an exchange student count towards the 90 credit hours requirement? (This is partially the reason why I want to go on an exchange programme. )

Thanks everyone who replies in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The bolded is not true. As long as you have completed 90 semester hrs in the US, you will be ok. You should definitely plan a post-bac (formal or informal) once you are in the States. Hop over to the post-bac forum and it's a great resource. Depending on which state you move to, there are multiple option (really any university should allow you to take the classes).

All coursework taken at a US institution counts toward the 90 semester hrs so if you do an exchange at any US college, those will count.

I have read some very harsh comments about how most schools won't even consider applicants with a non-US bachelors degree.