fourth year clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stevewonders90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
have you guys done rotations where you didnt really have to show up? Say at the end of the year or did you go to all of your rotations? I know a preceptor willing to let students just hang out at home and not even bother to come- is this something students do and can get away with if the preceptor is ok with it?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of one preceptor who does this. And a few who allow lots of time off during interview season or just have you come in whenever you feel like it. The school isn't super okay with it and caps how many students can rotate at these places but it is acknowledged and nobody gets in trouble. Usually students use this opportunity to study for/take boards and/or interview. If you're just doing it for time off though, why bother? We pay something like $200 a day for rotations. Might as well get the most bang for your buck. 4th year has a lot of cool opportunities to explore fields you're not going into. There's something to be said for picking a chill rotation over a stressful one where you're going over duty hours, but staying home all month is rarely a great educational use of your time.

Do something cool for a 4th year rotation: The clinic in Vail, Colorado during snow season, County coroner and do autopsies, Clinic at Yellowtone Park, Do 8-4 Pathology in Hawaii and surf in the afternoon, etc. FP in Southeast Alaska and go salmon/halibut fishing on the weekends. Do DERM rotation in Florida and learn to take off skin cancers or do botox. Heck do a plastics rotation in Hollywood. Be creative and go on vacation at the same time.

I did radiology in Vegas. I did Oncology in Fairbanks, AK. I did county coroner in Erie, PA.

Reactions: 1 user
Do something cool for a 4th year rotation: The clinic in Vail, Colorado during snow season, County coroner and do autopsies, Clinic at Yellowtone Park, Do 8-4 Pathology in Hawaii and surf in the afternoon, etc. FP in Southeast Alaska and go salmon/halibut fishing on the weekends. Do DERM rotation in Florida and learn to take off skin cancers or do botox. Heck do a plastics rotation in Hollywood. Be creative and go on vacation at the same time.

I did radiology in Vegas. I did Oncology in Fairbanks, AK. I did county coroner in Erie, PA.
I agree. I'm not for killing yourself 4th year after audition season but I think it would be a waste to sit home and do nothing. Find something interesting. There are plenty of rotations that are low on hours but that you can still learn something useful. You won't have this opportunity again.