"Freak kidney donor death shows the frightening danger of anesthesia"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carbocation1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was it really an 'anesthesia' death? This looks like it was written by a high school kid.

Reactions: 3 users
So according to the article the risk of death is 0.03% with the risk of death from anesthesia being 0.0007%. It's would seem that anesthesia is not the main culprit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everything is a routine surgery in the news

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes I wish I could live in that same fantasy land, where I can write whatever I want, without citing any reputable, peer-reviewed sources for my claims. Research would be way easier.

The perception that anesthesia is safe and routine has done more harm to the medical specialty of anesthesiology than almost anything else.

He calls anesthesia the main culprit while later stating one in 20 deaths are from anesthesia... It's like he doesn't even know how to math, wtf.

We had a death in a living kidney donor when I was a resident. It was the result of renal vein avulsion off the IVC. And the kidney could not be used:( Donor nephrectomy can be dangerous in the wrong hands. The urologist left town. Tragic all around.

We had a death in a living kidney donor when I was a resident. It was the result of renal vein avulsion off the IVC. And the kidney could not be used:( Donor nephrectomy can be dangerous in the wrong hands. The urologist left town. Tragic all around.

That's some sad ****

I know zero details of the case, but if you read the original SF Chronicle article, the donor nephrectomy was in October and the death appears to have been in November. There have been no details to suggest that this was an intraoperative death, other than the comments of a a nephrologist at another hospital (Katznelson) saying something about how a donor's death is a "nightmare scenario" and some vague words about general anesthesia.

The article posted in this thread is rehashed data and speculation.

That sounds terrible, but also, survivable.

That sounds terrible, but also, survivable.

It was over 20 years ago. I wasn't involved in the case but heard the IVC was nearly transected. I work with a couple of trauma/vascular surgeons now who might be able to obtain control of such an injury with the right exposure. But not then....

The perception that anesthesia is safe and routine has done more harm to the medical specialty of anesthesiology than almost anything else.

Agreed. It's a sad reality as well that one of our "saving graces" is the super sad state of most American's health. The comorbidities we see and the number of sick folks undergoing procedures is a source of job security as I see it. I also think that the perception is changing and that the severity of American's health is being recognized. I feel a different sense of appreciation even from surgeons and proceduralists about the health of our patients.