Freaking out a little (colleges)

I'm No Superman

Crushin' scones
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been browsing CollegeConfidential a little trying to get more information on U Mich. Then I saw this
UW GPA - 3.95/4.0
W GPA - 4.65 (school has weird weighted system)
Class Rank - 5/500
SAT - Probably won't take
SAT Subject Tests - USH 740 - Will eventually take Math II, Bio e/m, and Chem
ACT - 34 (35 E 36 M 33 R 33 S) maybe taking again - I really want the 36
AP - Human Geography (5) USH (5) - Junior APs - AP Lang+Comp, AP bio, AP Macro, AP Psych, AP Comp Gov, AP US gov - Senior APs - AP Physics C E+M, AP Calc BC, AP Chem, AP Lit, AP Comp Sci, AP Spanish?

EC's
Soccer - Varsity since Freshman year, started every game, Regional Champions (9), Conference 2nd place two years in a row, All Conference, All Sectional (10), Team MVP (10), Possible All State by senior year

Mathletes - 2 time individual regional champion, 2 time state qualifier, vice president (11), probably president senior year, 2 time individual conference champion, all conference
Freshman Class President
Student Council (9, 10)
Scholastic Bowl - JV (9, 10) Capt. both years of JV team
Honors/Awards/Etc -
Soccer All conference
Soccer all sectional
Soccer team MVP
Soccer freshman of the year
Mathletes multiple conference, regional awards
Mathletes all conference

Summers -
I spend a lot of time volunteering for JDRF - juvenile diabetes research foundation because I am a type 1 diabetic. I participate in the JDRF walk to cure diabetes and I host a garage sale every year in which all $$$ goes to JDRF. Overall I have made over $10,000.

I also volunteer at a local hospital but I'm not sure how many hours I've had.

Then:
I would not be too quick to assume the OP will get in. I would wait and see how the the next two years unfold. If the next two years are as active as last year, the OP would be applying with 55,000 other students for 15,000 availlable spots. That would make Michigan a match at best...perhaps even a slight reach.

Is this true? Or are CCers prone to thinking all schools are impossible to get into. Almost everyone else said hes definitely in, but my stats aren't nearly as impressive, and if someone thinks he won't get in... :scared:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't worry too much. Most of the guys on CC, at least from my experience, tend to inflate their statistics or act paranoid. If you have decent SAT/ACT scores, a good GPA, and decent extracurricular activities, you should be fine. Also, another thing to think about, the guy who said he might not have a chance could be trying to scare him off from applying so he/she has a better chance. Sounds extreme, but certainly possible. I can't see how anyone would think that kid would be a doubt.

I see what you're saying, its kind of like the "40T MCAT 3.9 GPA what are my chances" threads that we have here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Protip: don't ever go to CC. That place is filled with ridiculous children and even more ridiculous parents that just like to brag about what they/their children have done.

This is 100% true. Stay away from CC forever. I'm speaking from experience :(

Last edited:
Protip: don't ever go to CC. That place is filled with ridiculous children and even more ridiculous parents that just like to brag about what they/their children have done.

Well stated. Back when I used CC, it was annoying searching through threads for the information I was looking for when 90% of posts were paranoid parents haha

Wow. I just read some of that site and now I want to punch kittens.

If you think thats bad wait till you see the [purposefully wrong] advice that parents dish out to give their own kids a better shot.. I will never forget when one time I made a thread in a school-specific forum asking what I should wear to an interview and some parent replied of how her "DS" (thats what they call their sons) wore a polo and shorts to it and that he blended in fine with the other applicants.. I decided to wear a button-down shirt and khakis.. Do you want to guess whether the polo and shorts would have been appropriate ?? Hint: Absolutely not.

CollegeConfidential is a load of BS. It's the same neuroticism every year (a la Pre-Allo). If you're really all that concerned on what to wear, just ask! I emailed (and still do) the crap out of schools I was interested and continue to do so with the school I am enrolled in now... Works a hell of a lot better than going in unprepared and looking stupid.

And +1 to whoever said CC had liars. Everyone on that site seems to have a 2390 SAT, 35 ACT and 3.99 GPAs, when you know these 'near perfect' students are just tacking on one or two (or two hundred) points to make themselves look better on the big bad internet.

Oh and...

I also volunteer at a local hospital but I'm not sure how many hours I've had.

If the OP knows all of his other stats to two decimal places and not how many hours he volunteered, that's a huge red flag. I bet he either has like 5 hours or hasn't even volunteered at all.

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better now. However, if you look through the Ivy league chances threads on CC, part of your soul dies.

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better now. However, if you look through the Ivy league chances threads on CC, part of your soul dies.

I know how that feel especially when looking at the UC's chances on there, even though I know people who have gotten in with far lower scores. :scared:

Yeah, I remember when I was applying to college and I looked up the Ivy selection on CC, I was mortified. Then I learned it was all largely BS, considering I got accepted to Princeton on a less than stellar ECs and a very normal GPA (though with high SAT and class rank).

Then I got a full scholarship elsewhere and didn't bother with it anyway.

I visited that board once and never went back. They're just really strange. "My D" and "My S" and all that. Inflating their stats to try to win a cyber war. Creepy.

I've been on the CC site once or twice and will NEVER go back!

Most of the kids that post are paranoid and "I can't believe I just got a 110% on the sixth test in a row this year! Whatdidyouget?" types. The parents are even worse! Its nothing but their sad attempt at trying to show off in regards to how "smart" their kid is. I don't think anyone has ever told them that hundreds of thousands of kids go to college every single year with <4.0 GPAs and non-perfect SAT/ACTs. Not to mention, most of them post about stuff they have no clue about (especially in "What are my chances" threads).

CC is such a joke. Colleges like leadership; CC kids are just members, not leaders. They list off EVERYTHING they've ever done in high school in every post.

Example: "Key club member for 4 years". A member could be signing up, being on the roster, and doing nothing. CC'rs are useless to society.

I've been on the CC site once or twice and will NEVER go back!

Most of the kids that post are paranoid and "I can't believe I just got a 110% on the sixth test in a row this year! Whatdidyouget?" types. The parents are even worse! Its nothing but their sad attempt at trying to show off in regards to how "smart" their kid is. I don't think anyone has ever told them that hundreds of thousands of kids go to college every single year with <4.0 GPAs and non-perfect SAT/ACTs. Not to mention, most of them post about stuff they have no clue about (especially in "What are my chances" threads).

So true. They make a "my chances" thread for UofM. 50% acceptance rate, and they act like you need a 34 ACT to get in. I literally lol'd. And the parents on the site? My God. That is all.