French university then American MD School ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrenchDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first thread
So I am currently a student at the Polytechnical School of Paris, it's a very competitive school and ranked first of the country, accessible after a constest.
My question is : Do Medical School accept graduates from foreign universities ? I can have a double degree from a top university in the US, but only in engineering (aeronautics for example)...
I meet all the requirements of US medical schools otherwise, and I scored a 42 at the MCAT exam, I had an 8 months mission in the Fire Department of Paris, I do some benevolent work at the hospital, and I had some recommendation letters from great professors, which I assume are good, because I'm a very competitive student.

So guys...what do you say ? Is it possible ? What about financing ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to a website that is useful but shunned for its ease of use and occasional inaccuracy, there are 34 medical schools (nearly perfectly round 1:1 ratio of medical schools per capita between France and the U.S. by the way) in France. Is there some reason why you wouldn't want to go to any one of them? There are roughly @ 45,000 applicants vying for @ 5,600 seats in the 171 medical schools in this country annually. The availability of undergraduate education in the U.S. to foreign students isn't an indicator of the availability of a medical education to the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
25,600?

//edit
Point being, those numbers look like a cross between 1972 and 2008.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

In 2014, 49,480 applicants for 20,343 US MD seats. Around 150 US MD schools. Add DO, call it 55,000 apps for 25,000 seats, 180 US med schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Go to a French medical school then US for residency if you choose.