Freshman GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IsabellaLeigh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first semester freshman GPA turned out to be a 3.47, which was very disappointing. Many of my grades were boarder line. For example, 0.5 or less would switch a B+ to an A-. I also got one C+ that was extremely close to a B-. My academic advisor said you should never get a C because they are red flags to medical schools. So, I am pretty concerned. Will I be able to counteract that C+ with other grades in the upcoming semesters? Also, how good is a 3.47 for a first GPA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.47 for freshman GPA is NOT bad at all. It's not great, but it's definitely not something you need to stress out about at this point. Just keep up the good work and try to score more A's in your next 3 years. Adcoms like to see a steady rising trend throughout your college years, so show them that. (As a side note, my freshman gpa was worse than yours, but my persistence helped me get where I need to be today :))

Generally, C's don't look good on transcripts. True dat. But it's your 1st semester in college. It's understandable. Use this past semester to motivate you to continue persevere in your future classes. Plus, you are always given a chance to explain red flags/bad grades/other unfortunate situations in your app, so don't sweat it. I feel like your academic advisor is trying to scare you in a way...

Good luck! :luck:

Never get discouraged. I had a 3.2 GPA my first semester in school, and I've held a 4.0 ever since. I talked about what went wrong in my interview and during one of my ECs which resulted in it (non-excused absences for the first 10 days of college).

You've got plenty of time, and you're in a better situation than me, you can still break a 3.9 by the time you send out your AMCAS.