0.7 Freshman year, 3.85 Next 2 Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canucks90

Reaction score
Yes, you’ve read that correctly sadly. I check out sdn all the time but just made my account for anyone wondering. Anyways, in my freshman year i got a 0.71 gpa, multiple F’s and D’s. My head wasn’t in the right place and got the boot from my uni for a year. I came back strong and got a 3.85 gpa in my returning year and on pace for an approximately 3.9 gpa for the semester.

With solid EC’s, volunteer work, club leadership work and research, what are my chances of getting into a MD or DO program. My gpa is beyond repair but i have exponential upward trend. I’m taking the MCAT this summer and plan to rock it.

Lastly, i’m Canadian and plan to apply to canada, US MD/DO, Australia.

Thanks guys and good luck with finals szn

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t speak for Canadians because I don’t know the process. But US schools are usually forgiving of a bad freshman year if there is a strong upward trend so I would keep strong grades and rock the hell out of that MCAT. Yes you can get acceptances.

I can’t speak for Canadians because I don’t know the process. But US schools are usually forgiving of a bad freshman year if there is a strong upward trend so I would keep strong grades and rock the hell out of that MCAT. Yes you can get acceptances.

That’s amazing to hear, I was so stressed that I was t going to get in because of the dumb 19 y/o decisions. Would it be smarter to apply broadly in my class or more towards mid to low tier schools

That’s amazing to hear, I was so stressed that I was t going to get in because of the dumb 19 y/o decisions. Would it be smarter to apply broadly in my class or more towards mid to low tier schools
I’m just not sure how your Canadian resident status will play into the process. If you were a US citizen I’d say apply to low/mid tier US schools and a few reach schools depending on your MCAT. Can’t say much about a school list without MCAT scores