Freshman Undergrad Schedule Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenrenfer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post on this website, and I'm hoping to get some feedback on my freshman year schedule here. I feel like it might be too overwhelming, especially since I've heard that all three science classes are brutal, but I really don't know any other way of fitting in all of the science pre-reqs. Help???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! This is my first post on this website, and I'm hoping to get some feedback on my freshman year schedule here. I feel like it might be too overwhelming, especially since I've heard that all three science classes are brutal, but I really don't know any other way of fitting in all of the science pre-reqs. Help???
?? You have several years to get this stuff complete! don't stress about it now!

i suspect you'll get all sorts of advice across a spectrum from do it if you think you can to jump ship on one now! unfortunately, since we can't predict how you'll handle the whole major life adjustment when you start college, it's a little hard to predict academically. there is NO shame in dropping a course if you'd rather have a slightly smaller course load. college is a journey and you're meant to have a lot of fun, learn a lot about yourself, grow and develop as an adult, and learn a lot academically to prepare you for beyond college. an admissions committee isn't going to care how many credits you take your first semester or two. however, they care a whole bunch about the grades you get in your pre-reqs. If you take a ton of credits and get crummy grades, you're essentially shooting yourself in the foot. There are plenty of people who can academically manage a heavier work load, but there are plenty of people who can't and thats okay! you also don't have to decide this right now :) you can hold onto classes for a couple of weeks after school starts penalty free and get a sense for how things are going before you panic and make decisions.

i personally was signed up for 17 credits my first semester. i have a decent work ethic, am motivated, am reasonably intelligent. i was also involved in the marching band at school that required 2 hour practices 5 days a week plus saturday football games. i was enrolled in typical bio, chem, calculus, communications and something else. by the end of week two, i was so overwhelmed! turns out that particular math class was to be self taught and i dont do very well with that. even though my first exam mark was an A, i decided to drop the class and take it at a later time in order to cut down on my stress load, and it was the best thing i could have done for myself.

someone asked this exact same question on here a few years ago, and my advice to them was exactly the same. keep it if it feels right, drop it and focus on yourself if not. the overwhelming advice given by everyone else was more towards keeping the courses. that person ended up doing poorly several semesters in a row and ultimately decided to change career paths (for a variety of reasons, but grades were a factor). take it with a grain of salt, but ya know.

just remember that college is not all about the academics. its about developing yourself as a person, and that ultimately those skills, traits, and developments will also be very important to your future endeavors. i'm sure all of us who have been in the academic world for awhile can name at least one person we know who is the ultimate academic but has no personality and can't function in any other way. going out and having fun is healthy. making time for you is healthy. relaxing, getting enough sleep, exercising, and eating right are all healthy! mind and body are intertwined and i promise you that if you fail one of them miserably, you will ultimately fail both of them.

Reactions: 4 users
It just seems like there's so many that need to get done (which is daunting, but also really exciting at the same time)! I'm hoping to get the intro science classes out of the way quickly so I could fulfill my college's distribution requirements while taking the more advanced science classes during my later years and also possibly add a second major or a minor in biometry/statistics, since I'm really interested in that as well.

There's a pretty long add/drop period at Cornell, so I was thinking of trying to do that schedule and then dropping a class if I need to. What class out of bio, chem, animal bio, and calc would be the least important to take first year? I've heard people say that intro bio is a really important freshman year class, but I've also heard that pre-vets/pre-meds should start chem asap. I was thinking I might drop the calc, since most vet schools don't require it?

Yeah I definitely need to put into perspective all of the things that college will offer, outside of the academic experience. I just really want to make sure I'm prepared. It seems like everyone posting on the college facebook already has their life together:nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
jmo gave same pretty awesome advice. Having taken a similar schedule at the same school I will say that it is definitely doable if you're up for a challenge. I personally would've been overwhelmed if I had taken all those classes my first semester of college. I took a FWS, bio 1105, ANSC 1100, and gen chem. I think most advisers sign the animal science students up for all three sciences so you'll have quite a few classmates to study and commiserate with. Ultimately you know what you are capable of and if you feel overwhelmed you can drop a class without any penalty for a few weeks into the semester. Good luck with your freshmen year and have fun in ANSC 1100. I hope they still do Ezra's farm!

Hedgiehog, I was actually thinking about whether to take bio1105 or bio1350, ultimately deciding on 1350 just because I've heard more feedback (not necessarily good feedback) about it. Would you advise taking 1105 instead of 1350?
and thanks! It's also a relief to hear that a lot of animal science majors will be taking all three and that it's relatively doable

jmo's advice is great. The only thing I would add to take into consideration is school policy. Granted, this does appear to be an unusual policy...but my university limited us to 3 course drops only (exluding 1 credit classes). So if you have a limit you think you may reasonably reach, I'd be more conservative in the registration for your first semester until you get your bearings; if not, and you want to try for it, then go ahead!

i think if i was going to keep thing, keep the ones that are a year long. its a lot easier to knock out single semester courses than it is to knock out year long ones at odd times. plus dont forget they can be pre-reqs for others you have to take later (ie gen chem before orgo chem)

It just seems like there's so many that need to get done (which is daunting, but also really exciting at the same time)! I'm hoping to get the intro science classes out of the way quickly so I could fulfill my college's distribution requirements while taking the more advanced science classes during my later years and also possibly add a second major or a minor in biometry/statistics, since I'm really interested in that as well.

There's a pretty long add/drop period at Cornell, so I was thinking of trying to do that schedule and then dropping a class if I need to. What class out of bio, chem, animal bio, and calc would be the least important to take first year? I've heard people say that intro bio is a really important freshman year class, but I've also heard that pre-vets/pre-meds should start chem asap. I was thinking I might drop the calc, since most vet schools don't require it?

Yeah I definitely need to put into perspective all of the things that college will offer, outside of the academic experience. I just really want to make sure I'm prepared. It seems like everyone posting on the college facebook already has their life together:nailbiting:
you have to remember that in the grand scheme of things, vet school pre-reqs are a drop in the bucket credit wise ;) at a typical school, you are required to complete 120 credits worth of classes to graduate. comparatively, you may need 45-60 for the varying schools in minimum pre-reqs or a bare minimum of 60 credits if you're non-trad doing the pre-reqs over a 2 year span. college sets that minimum as an attainable goal. thats roughly 15 credits per semester, and in the sciences, its easy to get above that. you might also end up wanting to take classes over the summer. i took calc and physics 1/2 over 2 summers home at a community college.

i easily completed a dual degree program with minor in my 4 years of college. it can be done!

calc was definitely required by most schools when i applied, but i'm old now so that could have changed.

no one has their life together, its all a big lie hidden behind. plus, remember that heavy preparation (even if its totally misguided) alleviates anxiety. i have all the ducks in a row i can control (i cant pick what dorm i live in, i might not know my roommate, i might not know how to study or what i will need to do to approach classes, but i can choose the color of my comforter, i can pick the decorations for the space that i will call home, and i can buy target out of school supplies so that i have the pens and binders and highlighters available to me). remember, everyone strives to appear wealthy (whether they are or arent), its a rarity that anyone wants to appear poor or broken or homeless.

Thanks so much jmo! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind

Hedgiehog, I was actually thinking about whether to take bio1105 or bio1350, ultimately deciding on 1350 just because I've heard more feedback (not necessarily good feedback) about it. Would you advise taking 1105 instead of 1350?
and thanks! It's also a relief to hear that a lot of animal science majors will be taking all three and that it's relatively doable

1350 actually wasn't a class when I was a freshman. I think they changed the whole biology program during my sophomore year. I personally really liked 1105. It's auto tutorial so you can work at your own pace within their time table. You do have to actually make time to do the work though. When talking with my friends who took regular bio if was really happy I ended up taking the auto tutorial version.

I'm not familiar with those specific courses, since I'm in Canada and ours are a bit different. I will say, though, that two three-hour labs a week is my cutoff. Bear in mind that you'll have lab reports to write (in some courses we had to do one weekly) as well as your lecture assignments, readings, etc., and the reports can take quite a bit of time.

Yes, jmo gave good advice, prioritize the classes that are the year long ones, and ones that you'll need as prereqs for other prereqs. But definitely keep in mind that once you're in college, your priorities may change a bit, and freshman year may be a bit of an adjustment from your high school, depending on how rigourous your high school was. I know I was always very gung ho about academics, but then every time the semester started I would get completely distracted by my dance teams and having a social life. It's important to find a good balance. But all that aside, I'd say it's a do-able schedule, try it out and then drop a class if you need to, there is no shame in doing so. I did that junior year when I got special permission to take more than the max 18 credits, to fit in a psych class (so worth it btw - adult psychopathology with harry segal, I highly recommend taking it if you get the chance!) I actually opted to keep the psych class since I was enjoying it so much, and dropped a prereq, autotutorial biochem.

Also random aside, @hedgiehog what year did you graduate? I'm class of 2012, just curious if I may have known you if you were an ansci major.

Also random aside, @hedgiehog what year did you graduate? I'm class of 2012, just curious if I may have known you if you were an ansci major.

I'm class of 2012, animal science major. Perhaps we did know each other although I was pretty quiet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be a bit hesitant to take Calculus, Biology and Chemistry in the same semester, freshman year. Unless you like and/or are good at math, then go for it. I second everyone else saying a lighter course load won't look bad freshman year and I think it could give you time to get through the freshman experience (for better or worse) by giving you some leeway and helping buffer your grades. That said, I know some private schools like my last school required you take heavy course loads to graduate on time, which we had to because it was outrageously expensive. So do what you can, but be prepared to hit the ground running and don't let it all hit you like a bag of bricks come your first midterm. I did that freshman year and spent the rest of the semester saving my grades.

As far as fitting it all, if your really worried and willing to take the time, try writing out all the classes you want to take over the next four years. It may sound like a lot, but it help me a ton. I'll be graduating only a year and a half late after taking a year off and transferring. I had to rewrite the stupid thing a million times because things never go as we planned, but because I had all four years written out, I knew where I could be flexible. Plus, I could plan ahead and say, hey they offer Class A fall semester even years, if i want to take that, I had better take Class B next semester. It also helps you realize what classes are required for everything and the biggest pains in the A if you don't get them done early. It's also immensely helpful when you go to register for spring semester. As a freshman, you will most likely be unable to get many of the class you wanted and will have to find alternates. I don't know how they do it at your school, but at mine its a huge race. If you want to beat the other freshman to the good classes, you better have a plan b and c written with course numbers on hand in case classes are filled. I had freshman roommates last year, and not only did they not have plans b or c, they only had a vague idea of what they wanted to take. "Well, I need a humanities course! Whats available? There's ten spots! Ooh it sounds good, ok that one. Wait, it's already filled?!!" Research what you need and what sounds good ahead of time. The frustration and waterworks were difficult to watch, I'd hate for you to experience it.

Only you know how much you can (successfully) handle. I definitely would not have been able to handle a schedule like this my freshmen year, but that is just me. You have time to get all these classes done, so personally, I think you shouldn't rush it. But again, only you can make that judgement call. Everyone is a little bit different-- I think it's more important to focus on doing awesome in the few classes you take every semester, than taking a lot at one time.

I personally wouldn't recommend trying for a double major. It's really not worth it, especially if you're going to be going on to get a doctorate degree that will make your bachelor's degree more or less obsolete. It may seem important now, but, it really isn't. I don't think in all the admissions presentations I've been to anyone ever mentioned a double major as being a major boon to your application (I don't think they ever mentioned it at all, actually). I mean, sure it would look good, but probably not any more so than just taking a heavy courseload (if you do well), which would let you have more flexibility to choose the extra classes you really want to take. But ultimately, doing well in your courses is more important than any of that. But I'd say go for the minor if you can look at the courses you'd have to take for it and honestly say, "hey these seem really interesting." Otherwise, it's not worth it

I thought getting a double major was a grand idea in undergrad, and worked towards it for three years. Got to senior year and saw the ridiculous schedule I was going to have to follow to finish the second major, and was like, hell no. Thought I'd tack on a minor in anthropology instead, because I was having a quarter life crisis and started to think that vet med wasn't the right career path for me. Did half of it, got to my last semester of senior year and decided I didn't like classes I was going to have to take to finish the minor enough to be worth the effort, and gave up on that too. In hindsight, I wish someone had been there to tell me that second majors and minors were pointless because then I could have taken some of the awesome upper level science electives and labs we had available if I hadn't been spending time trying to fulfill requirements for the other major. And I could have graduated in three years.

so on the topic of double majors:

-i wouldnt spend extra time/money on a double major. its a gold star that goes on your transcript that only the first whatever you do with your life will see (vet school if you apply there, grad school if you apply there, 1st job if you do that out of college maybe)

-depending on what it is, it can be easy to overlap requirements and get stuff done, and that's usually easy to complete

-a DUAL DEGREE program will give you 2 degrees (2 diplomas). again, wouldn't spend extra/time money on this, but if it overlaps easily go for it. usually requires a higher number of total credit hours for completion on top of requirements. i did a 4 year dual degree in biological sciences and psychology very easily.

- minors: see above ;) mine is in chemistry, i had to complete 2 extra classes to complete the degree. would i do it again? NO, unless i could change what i took as that 2nd extra class because that was HORRIBLE and i very nearly got a D in the class instead of a B (thank goodness the final was "easy" and could replace your course grade!) because of it. not really something i was happy about. the other class i took was drug chem. seemed like a nice fit ;)

1. I am currently planning to take bio I spring semester. I was wondering if I should take bio II next fall (2015) or during the summer? In other words, is it alright to have a break between the bio classes or is it better to take them one right after another? Or should I wait to take biology sophomore year completely? If I wait till sophomore year, I can move some electives around. Nothing major really.

I think you can do either option. I didn't do summer classes until I had to (read: I was trying to squeeze in my pre-reqs after bombing them all the first time...) and I think it's important that you have some time to relax, gain vet experience and/or make some money over summer breaks instead of having to study all of the time. I think waiting until sophomore year is fine, so long as it won't interfere with your ability to take other pre-reqs that might require you take the bio series first. This wouldn't have been an issue at my university as chemistry was the one that needed to go in a very specific order but your school may vary.

2. Also, what if I use a minor/major to fill up my elective classes and gaps in my schedule? I'm entering freshman year with 24 credits, and if I made my schedule right (which I probably didn't), I'll end up taking 10 credit hours spring semester junior year, and 12 credit hours fall semester / 4 credit hours spring semester senior year. I kind of need to fill those gaps up. At my school, I can get a double major by taking 12 more credit hours (4 more classes)... but it's only for my specific major. We have a flat rate tuition policy for full-time students here, so taking 12 credit hours costs the same as taking 18 credit hours. Taking less classes won't save me any money unless I become a part-time student. I can take upper-level sciences, but the requirements for the double major ARE upper-level science courses. Any thoughts?

It's a good idea to keep your schedule as full as you can manage, especially later in college when you're taking the heavy duty sciences. Falling to part-time is risky as schools prefer you keep up the academic rigor and I think staying full time (with 15 credits or better) is the safest route. To fill those gaps, you can consider another major or a minor, other science courses that will demonstrate your ability to grasp tough material/work hard, some classes that just plain interest you (I took extra anthropology courses just because it's so freaking cool) or all of the above.

It's a total of 14 hours.
I know a lot of y'all said it's bad to take chem, bio, and calc all first semester, so I didn't. My degree plan initially had bio and chem rather than calc and chem first semester, but my advisor is a math major and suggested that I'd take calculus first semester. She told me my major involves a lot of math (I'm biochem) and calc would be a review (I took calc bc ap my senior year of high school). I also had a biochemistry professor as an advisor, so I got his thoughts on this as well.

Question: are you getting college credit for taking AP Calc? If you are, then taking another beginning calc class probably won't be very useful, and may not even count for credit if you already have college credit for it. Just something you may want to consider/look into. Have you thought about looking into a stats class? Some vet schools require stats specifically, and you'd be getting a math review as well without having to basically retake a class.

1. I am currently planning to take bio I spring semester. I was wondering if I should take bio II next fall (2015) or during the summer? In other words, is it alright to have a break between the bio classes or is it better to take them one right after another? Or should I wait to take biology sophomore year completely? If I wait till sophomore year, I can move some electives around. Nothing major really.
Are you taking classes during the summer? There's usually nothing wrong with taking a summer off between classes, especially just between intro bio courses.

2. Also, what if I use a minor/major to fill up my elective classes and gaps in my schedule? I'm entering freshman year with 24 credits, and if I made my schedule right (which I probably didn't), I'll end up taking 10 credit hours spring semester junior year, and 12 credit hours fall semester / 4 credit hours spring semester senior year. I kind of need to fill those gaps up. At my school, I can get a double major by taking 12 more credit hours (4 more classes)... but it's only for my specific major. We have a flat rate tuition policy for full-time students here, so taking 12 credit hours costs the same as taking 18 credit hours. Taking less classes won't save me any money unless I become a part-time student. I can take upper-level sciences, but the requirements for the double major ARE upper-level science courses. Any thoughts?

You don't have to fill the gaps specifically with another major or even a minor. Honestly, I'd look through and find courses that sound interesting, that you'd find fun to take. Have some fun classes during college! For example I took a Science Fiction English class and got a minor in Studio Art.

Also make sure to check other requirements for the vet schools you're looking at - many require a certain number of other types of credits (English, Literature, History, etc and so on).

Can you finish your degree in 3 years instead? That way you'd keep your semesters full and you'd save money. And time. Otherwise, just throw in some interesting classes, at least some of them should be upper level science electives. If those 4 more classes you need for a second major are ones that seem interesting, I'd say go for it. If not, it's really not worth pushing yourself through classes you don't want to take, unless they are ones that would be helpful for your vet school application (many schools give lists of upper level courses that are not required pre-reqs but look good if you have completed some).

It's part of my degree... :shrug: but yes, I really do like math haha! I don't know, it just comes naturally to me. Well in high school it did. Hopefully it doesn't change too much in college.

I think I *might* switch into a different major just so I can make things fit a little easier. After/while I take the intro class, I will decide.
It's funny because thinking back, I liked math in high school as well. AP Calc was a breeze for me and I tested into Honors Calc II freshman year of college. That class destroyed me and any love of mathematics. Aced the first test (mostly review of Calc I), then bombed the last 2 and ended up with a C+ in the class. That was the end of my math career. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you! (To be fair, the class was right after lunch and the professor spoke in monotone).

Reactions: 1 user
It's funny because thinking back, I liked math in high school as well. AP Calc was a breeze for me and I tested into Honors Calc II freshman year of college. That class destroyed me and any love of mathematics. Aced the first test (mostly review of Calc I), then bombed the last 2 and ended up with a C+ in the class. That was the end of my math career. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you! (To be fair, the class was right after lunch and the professor spoke in monotone).

Hopefully! That sounds so scary!! :nailbiting: