Frustrated with ABA Basic (I need to vent)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gassyPants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does this seem the most half-baked launch of an exam?

There is no information on the ABA website about how the exam is scored. There are no practice questions to give us a clue as to their expectations. Most of the content outline is so general, it is almost useless - it makes it seem like most of M&M and Baby Miller are going to be way overkill, which I doubt.

I am so tired of, and angry with, these useless money and time-wasting exams that are clearly just pure moneymakers for those administrating them. I guess the ABA just couldn't figure out how else to squeeze an $800 donation out of us.

And now back to my regularly scheduled studying...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here are some "basic" questions released by the ABA. Indeed, I can understand your frustration and I feel bad for the residents that have to take it. If I had to take it I would study for it as if I was studying for the ITE with a good qbank like M5 board review. Based on the basic/advanced break down of the ITE, it looks like a crap shoot. It said that GCS was an advanced topic while Meld or CP score componenets were a basic topic. Hope this helps, best of luck!

Attachments

• BASIC-Sample-Questions.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 115
Just curious why do they have these exams, when you already have the ITE exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
The basic exam is part 1 of the new two step board certification process. Part 2 will be the written exam, oral exam and some sort of hands on skills exam. In other words you start board cert before you graduate.

Reading between the lines it appears that the basic exam is a convenient way to cull the herd early while bringing in more $$$. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 5-10% fail rate on the basic so take it seriously.

The basic exam is part 1 of the new two step board certification process. Part 2 will be the written exam, oral exam and some sort of hands on skills exam. In other words you start board cert before you graduate.

Reading between the lines it appears that the basic exam is a convenient way to cull the herd early while bringing in more $$$. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 5-10% fail rate on the basic so take it seriously.
Us in Radiology are feeling these pains now too.

While I am certainly not a huge advocate for the changes, I have to point out ABA doesn't make extra $$$ through the changes. The fees for staged exams (basic $775, Advanced $775 and Applied $2100) are equal to the traditional part 1 ($1550) and part 2 ($2100).

While I am certainly not a huge advocate for the changes, I have to point out ABA doesn't make extra $$$ through the changes. The fees for staged exams (basic $775, Advanced $775 and Applied $2100) are equal to the traditional part 1 ($1550) and part 2 ($2100).
Good point, I haven't paid for either exam yet, that's good to know that the ABA isn't trying to raise the cost of board certification. This reminds me I had better register for the written before I have to pay a late fee.

Edit: looks like its a $500 late fee if you register after June 30th for the 2015 written exam.