ABA transitioning to a 5 year MOCA cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesiadoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hot off the press:

I'm still trying to figure out what this means for us. If you read their press release it seems like nothing changes with our requirements or the $.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing changes initially, then subsequently they can increase the $ at a greater rate than they would if it were 10 year.

• Sad
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
A little tidbit for those who don’t know the fact

From 2007,8,9,2010. The aba let the 250 question test taker knock off 50 question from the 4 hour Moca re certification exam

The earliest you could take the exam was 7 years after ur time limited certificate was awarded.

So if u were awarded time limited certificates was 2000. The earliest u could take was 2007.
If awarded 2003. The earliest u could take the aba recertification exam was 2010.

The passing rate was 98% for recertification exam

Then guess what happened when they started scoring all 250 questions? The passing rate fell all the way down to 88% by 2014. So from 2007-2010 when exams had 50 questions knocked off. It was 98% pass rate

Guess what the aba decided to do in mid 2015? They eliminated the 250 question recertification exam for those boarded in 2006 and later. And replaced it with Moca minutes for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Latest ABA form 990 I could find. It’s from 2019.

MOC (~$5mil net) is a much bigger money maker than initial certification (~$1.3-1.4mil net) because their expenses for initial certification are much higher than their expenses for MOC. MOC is almost all profit for the ABA.

E12791E0-597C-4168-A89F-DB4F805DA89F.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
It is really about money and power. The academic medicine testing complex is to our era what the military industrial complex was to the Vietnam war. :( Passing the initial certification test demonstrates the cognitive ability to think like an anesthesiologist. Didactic information is at the touch of the fingertips today and IMHO the only MOCA should be the one that hospitals make older physicians take which should also apply to our elected officials.

Reactions: 4 users
ABA is a scam. This is clearly a money grab.

What are you guys doing for your part 3 QI? All options sound equally unappealing (sim center, the 5 online simulators for $1200 or whatever)? If you did the online simulators, how long did the whole thing take?

My favorite money grabs - (1) ACE questions are $800 for non-ASA members. ASA members get it at a bargain - $300. 100 pages of MCQs on paperback. (2) $800 state medical license that “renews” every two years. it entails me paying $800 and clicking “yes” to confirm my information is all the same and unchanged.

ABA, ASA, medical license, etc take advantage of academic and employed physicians that get set funds designated for this BS. Few would willingly pay this price without the threat of losing license/board certification.

Reactions: 2 users
My favorite money grabs - (1) ACE questions are $800 for non-ASA members. ASA members get it at a bargain - $300. 100 pages of MCQs on paperback. (2) $800 state medical license that “renews” every two years. it entails me paying $800 and clicking “yes” to confirm my information is all the same and unchanged.

ABA, ASA, medical license, etc take advantage of academic and employed physicians that get set funds designated for this BS. Few would willingly pay this price without the threat of losing license/board certification.

I just paid 900 for a license then another 500 to register it. Like wtf?

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
What are you guys doing for your part 3 QI? All options sound equally unappealing (sim center, the 5 online simulators for $1200 or whatever)? If you did the online simulators, how long did the whole thing take?
Case eval and point of care learning. I document it and create paper trail.

Reactions: 1 users

Excuse me, but you forgot about the DEA.

IMG_3128.jpeg