Full Defermant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your in the navy and want to get a full defermant for a field such as anesthesia should you wait until the committe has met or should you just enter the civillian match and interview with the navy holding the trump card?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to BOTH the military and civilian matches concomitantly--this is the standard way of doing things. I had actually done two civilian interviews BEFORE the Navy told me I had a full civilian deferment. The alternative is to have all of your civilian interviews AFTER mid-December so you can cancel interviews in case the boards' decision doesn't go your way.

I hope this helps.

The Navy will decide which specialties will get full deferments per year. You can have >10 interviews in ophthalmology, but if the Navy is not interested in more ophthalmologists there is nothing you can do (needs of the Navy first). On the other hand, you have to interview in civilian programs in case they actually grant a few deferments in anesthesia. You might waste the money but well…welcomed to the Navy….