Fun

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to drop a PSA:

I know that you guys are in a big life transition right now and getting ready to go away on your own. It's nerve-wracking and awesome and confusing. Things will work out!!!

Firstly a little background on myself: I wouldn't classify myself as a "non-trad" but I didn't go straight through to med school from college. I spent a bunch of time overseas living and working. I tended bar in Honduras and taught. I've been to Africa 3X times. I got my undergrad in political science, but I probably spent more time fishing, traveling, and drinking beer in my first 3 years of undergrad than studying.

And yes, I am at a DO school now, but that is by choice. I managed to get all A's in my post-bacc. I got the only A+ in my O-chem class. And I got a 30 on my MCAT. These credentials got me into my state school and every DO school I applied to. And now I'm a 4th year getting ready to apply for an Army residency. I've been pretty much guaranteed a slot at my program of choice in the field of my choice.

So maybe I didn't take the easiest route to medical school, but I did get there. And I am on par or better with my peers according to my attendings.

So why am I telling you all this? I honestly don't care about pumping myself up on some anonymous internet forum, I swear.

The moral of this story is that you should appreciate your youth. Have fun. Put yourself in awkward situations. Travel to a place where you are the minority. Pick up a hobby and excel at it. Talk to girls/boys (depending on your preference). Take a hike at dawn. Build up your personal "brand" and self-confidence.

But don't do it for medical school. Do it for yourself. Medicine will always be there. If I could have 22 back in Honduras I would take it in a heartbeat. And if you can't do it for yourself at least know that there's nothing an admissions committee likes more than good stats is a diverse personality and a well traveled person with a passion.

I know that it seems like high school will never end, and that med school is so far away. But it goes by in a flash. Say thanks to your parents, study hard, and soon you will be where I am reminiscing.

god bless.

-Son of Virginia

Members don't see this ad.