Future clinicians, be prepared for all sorts of patient stupidity. Here's one example:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reminds of me the woman who died from Hyponatremia after entering a water drinking contest.

Reactions: 1 users
not even remotely close to some of the worst things I've seen

Members don't see this ad :)
Reminds of me the woman who died from Hyponatremia after entering a water drinking contest.

In fairness, she was on a radio show trying to win a video game system for her kids for Christmas. A pretty sad story...

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe if you were poor, on Christmas, and desperate to make your kids happy, you'd understand her mindset.

Yes killing yourself is better for the kids, excellent point. Ive been poor, I understand her struggle. I still don't think it was a smart contest for the radio station to hold or for anyone to participate in.

Yes killing yourself is better for the kids, excellent point. Ive been poor, I understand her struggle. I still don't think it was a smart contest for the radio station to hold or for anyone to participate in.

Because my point was killing oneself is better than not having a video game system for christmas. You and logic have a very distant relationship I see.

Try learning a little empathy before you start this summer. A book on logic wouldn't hurt either.

Reactions: 2 users

Not everyone is well educated. I highly doubt either parties knew you could cause electrolyte derangement a leading to death by holding your urine.

Reactions: 7 users
Not everyone is well educated. I highly doubt either parties knew you could cause electrolyte derangement a leading to death by holding your urine.

Which is my exact point before the above poster got all ruffled in her feels.

Because my point was killing oneself is better than not having a video game system for christmas. You and logic have a very distant relationship I see.

Try learning a little empathy before you start this summer. A book on logic wouldn't hurt either.

Poster 1: that was dumb.

Poster 2: she was trying to do something good for her kids.

Poster 1: she actually did something bad for her kids, which is why it was dumb.

Poster 2: wah.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which is my exact point before the above poster got all ruffled in her feels.
Dude you're a jerk, and full of hindsight bias. I bet if that case hadn't happened, you would have no idea that it could happen, prior to medical school.

Dude you're a jerk, and full of hindsight bias. I bet if that case hadn't happened, you would have no idea that it could happen, prior to medical school.

Thats a bad bet. Either way, it doesn't matter. For future physicians, you guys are awfully soft if you get this offended by someone pointing out a terrible decision by someone else.

Thats a bad bet. Either way, it doesn't matter. For future physicians, you guys are awfully soft if you get this offended by someone pointing out a terrible decision by someone else.
Alright, lets just use a little logic here. How many people actually made a mistake here?

How much water did she have to drink to achieve hyponatremia and over what period of time (without googling?), surely you know since you are so well versed?

Alright, lets just use a little logic here. How many people actually made a mistake here?

How much water did she have to drink to achieve hyponatremia and over what period of time (without googling?), surely you know since you are so well versed?

I can't tell you because I have no clue how big this woman was, and there is no exact mark where we can say with certainty she needed to drink x amount of water in x amount of time. We can, however, confidently say that drinking as much water as you possibly can and not using the restroom for a competition is not smart. It is amazing that future doctors have a problem with that statement.

I can't tell you because I have no clue how big this woman was, and there is no exact mark where we can say with certainty she needed to drink x amount of water in x amount of time. We can, however, confidently say that drinking as much water as you possibly can and not using the restroom for a competition is not smart. It is amazing that future doctors have a problem with that statement.

I think people moreso have a problem with you, than your statement itself. Just sayin.

I think people moreso have a problem with you, than your statement itself. Just sayin.

A woman died so we can't possibly point out a fact about the incident. Cant imagine going through life that soft.

She was approx 130 lbs.
A woman died so we can't possibly point out a fact about the incident. Cant imagine going through life that soft.
Hmm, seems like you did alittle more than just that:
Which wasn't his point at all.

It has nothing to do with being “soft”. As a military veteran who has been trough a lot, I can say that even with that experience I can still be empathetic toward a terribly situation. Yeah, obviously it was a poor decision, but pointing that out does nothing for anyone. Everyone here is intelligent enough to know that it was a bad decision. However, sadly, a lot of Americans are not. Seems as if there is some life to be lived my friend.

It has nothing to do with being “soft”. As a military veteran who has been trough a lot, I can say that even with that experience I can still be empathetic toward a terribly situation. Yeah, obviously it was a poor decision, but pointing that out does nothing for anyone. Everyone here is intelligent enough to know that it was a bad decision. However, sadly, a lot of Americans are not. Seems as if there is some life to be lived my friend.

We’ve gone full circle on the off the rails train here. This entire thread is based on patient stupidity (see: the title). A poster then replied by making the point that we should be fair and point out that the woman chugged a lethal amount of water for video games, not for no reason. I then said that doing it for video games doesn’t make it any less stupid. Somehow this got everyone feeling some sort of way. The end.

Just to clarify something, the radio disc jockeys where called and warned about 'water intoxication' 2 hours into the contest, this comment was not passed on to any of the contestants and the DJ's made a joke and ignored it. There were over 40 people listed in the lawsuit that were involved in the contest as agents or staff, plus 18-20 participants.

For those who don't know, she drank 2 gallons over 3 hours.

For those who want more:
$16M Awarded In Water Drinking Death
"Hold Your Wee For A Wii" Lawsuit
http://www.rbs2.com/KDND.pdf

Just to clarify something, the radio disc jockeys where called and warned about 'water intoxication' 2 hours into the contest, this comment was not passed on to any of the contestants and the DJ's made a joke and ignored it. There were over 40 people listed in the lawsuit that were involved in the contest as agents or staff, plus 18-20 participants.

For those who want more:

wow 16mil thats an insane amount. not worth the life of the mother but... danggg

Ah, the joys of working EMS before medical school. I'm pre-jaded and not much surprises me anymore.

Halfway through a 72 hr weekend shift, there's a frantic banging on the station door sometime after midnight. There's an entire family, with at least 3 grimy, clad only in diapers toddlers running around. Both crews go outside and I'm up for call, we get in the back of the truck with SisterMomma, UncleDaddy and the 3 year old who is chugging on a baby bottle of what looks like chocolate milk. Chief complaint: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea after drinking milk X 2 weeks. After suppressing the urge to say "why is this NOW an emergency at x time in the morning?", I start my usual H&P. History: ADD (umm, he's 3?), Meds, allergies: "Yeah, he's lactose intolerant", "Wait, he's lactose intolerant and you're giving him milk?", "Well, of course, we only give him chocolate milk-that doesn't have lactose in it"......"Ma'am, is it regular milk or something like lactaid that is special?", "Nope, plain chocolate milk", "Ma'am, that has lactose in it, he can't have that either", "Oh, okay, thanks". Now, little Ricochet, has been pinging off the walls of the ambulance this entire time. She snatches the bottle out his hand, bails out of the truck, gathers up the family and heads home. Never saw them in a professional capacity again. You can't make this stuff up sometimes.

Reactions: 4 users
Poster 1: that was dumb.

Poster 2: she was trying to do something good for her kids.

Poster 1: she actually did something bad for her kids, which is why it was dumb.

Poster 2: wah.
dude, just shut up you're annoying

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 4.08.02 PM.png

To get us back on track. Saw a dude in the ED at 2 or 3 in the morning; because, he started taking BP meds the week before and wanted to know if they were working. Looked at his approximately 120/80 vitals, said what basically amount to “Yup,” and sent him on his way!

For those who want more:

So...that's like 200k+ Wii's. Or 100k+ Wii U's. Also, it would suck to enter a stupid contest and end up getting sued for entering a stupid contest. Not as much as entering a stupid contest and dying, but still...